Ethiopia Again Rejects AL’s Intervention in GERD Crisis

Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)
Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)
TT

Ethiopia Again Rejects AL’s Intervention in GERD Crisis

Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)
Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)

Ethiopian Foreign Minister Demeke Mekonnen renewed his country’s rejection of any Arab League intervention in the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) crisis between Ethiopia and the downstream countries, Egypt and Sudan.

The position comes as Addis Ababa prepares to launch the fourth controversial filling of its mega-dam reservoir on the Blue Nile during the rainy season in July and August.

Meanwhile, an unexpected handshake and exchange of smiles between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed was witnessed Thursday at the summit of the New Global Financing Pact held in Paris.

This encounter took place despite the ongoing crisis between the two countries regarding the GERD dam.

On Thursday, Mekonnen rejected what he described as “unconstructive and unjustified interference” of the Arab League in the Renaissance dam file. The details of filling the dam were agreed among the experts of the three countries, he said, and that Ethiopia worked to address the concerns of Egypt and Sudan.

His comments echoed a similar position delivered by Addis Ababa in response to the Jeddah Declaration, in which the Arab League stated its support for the water safety of downstream countries.

Last month, the Declaration called for refraining from any unilateral steps that harm Egypt and Sudan's water interests.

In response, the Ethiopian Foreign Ministry criticized the statement of the Arab summit saying it was part of Egypt’s efforts to put pressure on Addis Ababa and is an insult to the African Union and member states.

Egypt responded, at that time, by affirming its position calling for “reaching a firm agreement regarding filling and operating the Ethiopian dam.”

Last month, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said Egypt depended throughout its history on the Nile river, and 65 percent of Egyptians work in the agricultural sector.

He also said that the African Union had undoubtedly neither succeeded in making Addis Ababa change its position nor had it recourse to similar experiences of transboundary rivers.

Meanwhile, former assistant to Egyptian Foreign Minister, Ambassador Rakha Ahmed Hassan, said the recent Ethiopian statements echo Addis Ababa’s continued intransigence.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that the statements confirm that Ethiopia has no intention or desire to reach an agreement with Egypt and Sudan.

Ethiopia is thwarting the Declaration of Principles signed in March 2015, as Addis Ababa did not provide any socio-economic and environmental impact studies of the dam on downstream countries, he said.

Dr Samir Ghattas, head of Middle East Forum for Strategic Studies agreed with Ahmed Hassan. He said the recent Ethiopian statements reveal that Addis Ababa rejects binding international arbitration as a dispute settlement modality for any GERD deal.

Ghattas told Asharq Al-Awsat that Ethiopia also rejects a technical agreement on the filling of the GERD's reservoir.

“Ethiopia is using the current circumstances which placed Egypt alone in the negotiation path as Sudan is busy with the ongoing war,” he said, adding that Addis Ababa also benefits from the presence of the African Union headquarters on its soil, and therefore continues to reject all negotiations.

“There must be a method other than complaining. We have three decisive months, during which Ethiopia will implement the fourth filling of the dam,” Ghattas warned, adding that negotiations have reached a dead end.

He then affirmed that Egypt has no choice but to return to the Security Council and seek the support of the Arab countries and the European Union for the position of the two downstream countries.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.