Armed Faction Issues Ultimatum to Sudani’s Govt to End US Presence in Iraq

Prime Minister Muhammad Shiaa al-Sudani (EPA)
Prime Minister Muhammad Shiaa al-Sudani (EPA)
TT

Armed Faction Issues Ultimatum to Sudani’s Govt to End US Presence in Iraq

Prime Minister Muhammad Shiaa al-Sudani (EPA)
Prime Minister Muhammad Shiaa al-Sudani (EPA)

The so-called Iraqi Resistance Coordination Committee issued Saturday an ultimatum to the government of Prime Minister Muhammad Shiaa al-Sudani, demanding immediate action against “US violations” in the country.

Meanwhile, the US ambassador to Iraq, Alina Romanowski, continues to praise the cooperation between her country and the Iraqi government at all levels.

The Coordination Committee, which consists of four Shiite groups affiliated with Iran, expressed its “unwavering commitment to prioritizing the interests of the Iraqi people, particularly in light of the significant political, security, and economic challenges facing the nation.”

In a statement, the committee said that in a show of commitment, it had temporarily suspended its military operations against the US military presence within Iraq.

However, “this temporary halt should not be misconstrued as acceptance of the ongoing presence of US forces, which we consider illegal and unconstitutional,” the statement noted.

The Committee then condemned what it perceived as US “interference” in Iraqi affairs, Washington’s flagrant violations of Iraqi sovereignty, and the detrimental effects of the continued presence of US military bases, combat forces, and military aviation in Iraq. Additionally, they accused the US embassy of spreading vice, moral deviation and undermining the Iraqi cultural identity.

It also expressed concern over alleged attempts to manipulate Iraqi rights and deprive the population of essential services, notably electricity.

Accordingly, the Committee said it grants the Iraqi government a final opportunity to address the violations. They clarified that their patience is not infinite and warned that failure to heed their demands would result in a reaction.

Sources close to Iraqi armed factions that oppose the US presence had earlier reported that Romanowski informed some political parties that “Washington may target some Iraqi leaders, mainly the leader of Harakat al-Nujaba (HAN), Akram al-Kabi, who threatens US interests.”

Al-Kabi had repeatedly criticized the United States. His views contradict the positions announced by the “Coordination Framework” Shiite bloc that leads the current government in Iraq, and which seeks to strengthen its foreign relations with countries of the world, including the US, on the basis of common interests.

In 2009, Washington and then government of PM Nouri Al-Maliki signed the Strategic Framework Agreement to formalize a relationship of friendship and cooperation "between the two countries in the economic, diplomatic, cultural, and security fields. In a meeting held lately with Maliki, Romanowski announced her country’s hopes to strengthen the agreement.

Meanwhile, it remains unclear whether the US ambassador informed Iraqi politicians of her country's intention to target a faction leader, a task outside the scope of her mission as ambassador.

But since assuming her post in Iraq more than a year ago, Romanowski had focused on the principle of developing relations between Baghdad and Washington. She intensified her meetings with various Iraqi officials, including the Prime Minister, whom she met several times. Several Iraqi officials criticized her “abnormal movements”' including two meetings the ambassador held with former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki in less than two months.

After their last meeting held a few days ago, al-Maliki confirmed he discussed with the US ambassador political and security developments in the country and the region, as well as cooperation between the two countries at the political, economic, and cultural levels.

Al-Maliki also confirmed that Iraq is preparing to complete its reconstruction process after the budget bill approval, stressing the need to exert efforts to enhance political and economic stability in the country according to a comprehensive vision.

The leader of the State of Law Coalition also emphasized the importance of carrying out projects in the health and housing sectors and supporting foreign investments, especially those of American companies, according to the Strategic Framework Agreement signed between Baghdad and Washington.

 



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.