Lebanon Shocked at Rape, Death of 6-year-old Girl

Lynn Taleb (Al-Markaziah news agency)
Lynn Taleb (Al-Markaziah news agency)
TT

Lebanon Shocked at Rape, Death of 6-year-old Girl

Lynn Taleb (Al-Markaziah news agency)
Lynn Taleb (Al-Markaziah news agency)

The Lebanese judiciary has launched an investigation into the death of a six-year-old girl, following a sexual assault, as individual crimes continue to shake the society.

Local media reported the death of Lynn Talib, who had been staying for the past eight days in the house of her maternal grandparents in the Minieh region in northern Lebanon, after the divorce of her parents.

Al-Markaziah News Agency reported that two separate forensic doctors’ reports confirmed that she had been raped prior to her death.

According to available information, the mother of the child rushed to Al-Minieh Governmental Hospital, after her temperature rose, before returning home with her, although the doctor had requested her immediate admission to the hospital. The next day, the little girl died at her grandparents’ house.

A forensic doctor’s report pointed to bruises on the child’s face and swelling of the lips, and confirmed that she had been sexually assaulted. Her father’s family filed a lawsuit against her mother’s parents.

While the crime shook Lebanese public opinion, the Lebanese judiciary opened an investigation into the incident.

The official National News Agency (NNA) reported that the Public Prosecution Office in the North sent two forensic doctors to conduct the medical examination in order to draw up a report detailing the child’s health condition that led to her death.

In parallel, the Ministry of Health announced in a statement that it was “following up the circumstances of the death of the child, who was transferred twice on the same day to Al-Minieh Governmental Hospital.”

Lynn’s tragic death follows a series of individual crimes that took place during the past weeks in Lebanon, including a 75-year-old man killing his wife at home in the town of Al-Adaiseh in southern Lebanon, with a hunting rifle. The man turned himself in to the police.

In the Qornet al-Sawda area near the town of Bsharri in northern Lebanon, a young man, Haitham Tawk, was found killed by snipers. The Lebanese army used the air force to search for the perpetrators, while calls mounted for calm and restraint.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.