Sudanese Army Returns to Jeddah for Talks as War Enters 4th Month

A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)
A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)
TT

Sudanese Army Returns to Jeddah for Talks as War Enters 4th Month

A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)
A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)

Sudanese army representatives have returned to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia for talks with Rapid Support Forces (RSF) as the war entered its fourth month.

The RSF has made no comment on returning to the talks in Jeddah, which Saudi and US mediators adjourned last month after a series of repeatedly violated ceasefires.

However, a government source told AFP anonymously that a delegation of the armed forces has returned to Jeddah to resume negotiations with the RSF.

Reuters also quoted sources as saying that “Sudanese representatives have arrived in Saudi Arabia's Jeddah to resume talks."

- Yasser al-Atta

Meanwhile, Sovereign Council Member Lieutenant General Yasser al-Ata said that the military operations are proceeding and the war will end soon.

Ata told Asharq Al-Awsat that the army would continue to make achievements in the war against the Rapid Support Forces and that the army's morale is very high because of the people's support.

Addressing the incident in the Bahri region, Ata admitted the army sustained some losses, but the RSF lost more, and its elements continued to flee to the west of the country.

He described the RSF as rebels who committed major crimes against the people, indicating that the army was doing its duty to protect the country and its citizens.

- Back to negotiations

The army's return to the Jeddah negotiations reflects its participation in the diplomatic efforts aimed at a ceasefire after it boycotted talks last week in Ethiopia hosted by the East African regional bloc IGAD.

However, the Sudanese Foreign Ministry objected to Kenyan President William Ruto's leadership of the IGAD quartet, accusing Nairobi of siding with the RSF.

Before suspending the Jeddah talks, US mediators expressed their disappointment over the reluctance of both parties towards a real armistice.

Experts believe army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and RSF commander Mohamed Hamdan Daglo chose to wage a war of attrition, and each hoped to obtain more significant concessions at the negotiating table.

- Engineers' Corps

Eyewitnesses reported that the RSF bombed drones that targeted Khartoum's most significant military hospital, killing and injuring eight civilians, in conjunction with its major attack on the Engineers' Corps nearby.

According to witnesses, the marches took off from the al-Muqrin in the center of Khartoum. The Rapid Support Forces control the "strategy" camp in that area.

Local sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that large numbers of army and rapid support forces have gathered in separate areas of Omdurman.

Al-Tarifi Abdel-Azim, a resident of Omdurman, reported hearing bombing and clashes since the early morning.

The Rapid Support Forces launched many attacks on the medical and engineers' corps near the Old White Nile Bridge entrance linking Omdurman with Khartoum.

- Kenyan President

Meanwhile, a delegation of Sudanese political and civil leaders met the Kenyan President as part of a tour to neighboring countries aimed at ending the war.

In a statement on Saturday, the delegation said that Ruto asserted Kenya's commitment to continuing regional efforts to stop the war in Sudan and reach a political solution to the crisis.

Ruto added that his country and IGAD continue to focus on issues of war, peace, and democratic transition in Sudan.

The Sudanese delegation, which includes top leaders in the Freedom and Change coalition, stressed the importance of coordinating international and regional efforts, unifying the negotiating platform, and accelerating a real ceasefire.

The IGAD initiative called on the warring parties to immediately sign an unconditional ceasefire agreement.

In the coming days, the Sudanese delegation will continue its visits to Saudi Arabia, South Sudan, and Chad to mobilize support to end the war and launch a political process for the return of civil rule.

- Ongoing clashes

Clashes continued over the past three months, leading 1.7 million civilians to escape Khartoum.

More than 2.4 million people have been displaced to other parts of Sudan, where roadblocks, the breakdown of the banking system, and fragile health services mean responders are ill-equipped to meet soaring demand.

Humanitarian relief organizations have repeatedly called for safe corridors to transport aid and workers and have previously warned that the rainy season, which began in June, could cause the spread of diseases.

During a meeting last Thursday, aid and health workers announced measles cases had emerged in 11 of Sudan's 18 states and 300 people were infected with cholera, eight of whom have died, according to a statement issued by the Islamic Relief.

The World Health Organization said it was difficult to confirm reports of an outbreak of cholera given that public health laboratories are out of order.

The UN estimates that 740,000 refugees have escaped to neighboring countries.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.