Sudan Looks Forward to Resumption of Jeddah Negotiations

Smoke columns rise as a fire engulfs a gas warehouse near the Yarmouk factory, south of Khartoum, Sudan. (AFP)
Smoke columns rise as a fire engulfs a gas warehouse near the Yarmouk factory, south of Khartoum, Sudan. (AFP)
TT

Sudan Looks Forward to Resumption of Jeddah Negotiations

Smoke columns rise as a fire engulfs a gas warehouse near the Yarmouk factory, south of Khartoum, Sudan. (AFP)
Smoke columns rise as a fire engulfs a gas warehouse near the Yarmouk factory, south of Khartoum, Sudan. (AFP)

The Sudanese people are eagerly awaiting the announcement of a new date for the resumption of negotiations in the Saudi city of Jeddah, hoping to bring an end to the raging war that has been ongoing since mid-April between the army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

Sources confirmed that the army delegation has returned to Jeddah, ready to begin a new round of talks that had been suspended for weeks due to the failure of the warring parties to abide by a number of ceasefires mediated by Saudi Arabia and the US.

As the war enters its fourth month without either side being able to decisively win the battle, calls have instensified in Sudan and by regional and international powers for the need to hold negotiation to end the war.

The UN has warned that the conflict is escalating and transforming into a civil war that may surpass Sudan’s borders and threaten the security of the entire region.

In a statement, Saudi Arabia and the US underlined their commitment to ending the conflict.

Meanwhile, Lt. Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the leader of the army, emphasized the importance of the Jeddah platform, expressing gratitude to the Saudi and US governments for facilitating the negotiations.

Leader of the RSF, Mohammed Dagalo, known as “Hemedti,” announced the formation of a communication committee with political forces and armed movements to reach a comprehensive political solution to the crisis in the country.

Meanwhile, the fifth Coordination Summit of the African Union, which began on Sunday in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, witnessed extensive discussions on the ongoing crisis in Sudan.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.