About 800 Migrants Drowned off Tunisia's Coast This Year

Migrants gather near Ras Ajdir to demand that authorities send medicine and food aid. (EPA)
Migrants gather near Ras Ajdir to demand that authorities send medicine and food aid. (EPA)
TT

About 800 Migrants Drowned off Tunisia's Coast This Year

Migrants gather near Ras Ajdir to demand that authorities send medicine and food aid. (EPA)
Migrants gather near Ras Ajdir to demand that authorities send medicine and food aid. (EPA)

About 800 migrants have drowned off Tunisia's coast this year as they tried to reach Europe by boat, National Guard spokesman Houcem Eddine Jebabli told Agence France-Presse (AFP).

Jebabli said that 789 bodies of migrants were recovered from the sea, including 102 Tunisians, other foreigners, and unidentified people.

He said that between January 1 to June 20, 34,290 migrants were intercepted and rescued, including 30,587 foreigners, mostly from sub-Saharan Africa, compared to 9,217 people who were intercepted or retrieved during the same period in 2022.

The Coast Guard carried out 1,310 operations in the first six months, more than double the number of missions last year.

Tunisia, with some coasts less than 150 km from Italy's Lampedusa Island, has become a significant gateway for irregular migrants and asylum-seekers, often from sub-Saharan Africa.

Italian authorities say more than 80,000 people have crossed the Mediterranean and reached the Italian coast since the beginning of the year, compared to 33,000 last year during the same period, most of them from the Tunisian and Libyan coasts.

Tunisian Interior Minister Kamal Feki said Wednesday that the Tunisian Coast Guard had recovered 901 bodies by July 20 following maritime accidents in the Mediterranean Sea.

Tunisia has replaced Libya as the main departure point for people fleeing poverty and conflict in Africa and the Middle East searching for a better life in Europe.

Feki told the Parliament that among the 901 bodies found, 36 were Tunisians, and 267 were foreign immigrants, while the identity of the rest is unknown.

Most of the boats carrying migrants depart from Sfax. Thousands of migrants without identity papers flocked to the coastal city, especially in the past few months, to travel to Europe in boats run by smugglers, leading to an unprecedented migration crisis in Tunisia.

Official data showed that about 75,065 migrants arrived in Italy by boat until July 14, compared to 31,920 in the same period last year. More than half of them left from Tunisia.

Last week, the European Union and Tunisia signed a memorandum of understanding for a "strategic and comprehensive partnership" on illegal migration, economic development, and renewable energy.

Hundreds of African migrants, including pregnant women and children, are still abandoned in Ras Ajdir between Libya and Tunisia after Tunisian authorities sent them there, according to testimonies collected by AFP.

About 140 migrants from sub-Saharan Africa said they had been in the area without water or food for three weeks and set up a transit camp 30 meters from the Libyan Ras Ajdir border checkpoint.

Following clashes that killed a Tunisian citizen earlier in July, dozens of African migrants were expelled from Sfax and transferred to border areas with Libya and Algeria.

Over the past ten days, Libyan border guards have taken in hundreds of migrants wandering in the desert south of Ras Ajdir, where at least five bodies were found.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) said Tunisian police expelled up to 1,200 African migrants in July to remote desert areas along Tunisia's borders with Libya and Algeria.

On July 10, the Tunisian Red Crescent relocated 600 on the Libyan side and hundreds on the Algerian side to shelters.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.