Massive Explosions Rock Khartoum, Vicinity of the Presidential Palace

Smoke rises over Khartoum as clashes continue between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (AP)
Smoke rises over Khartoum as clashes continue between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (AP)
TT

Massive Explosions Rock Khartoum, Vicinity of the Presidential Palace

Smoke rises over Khartoum as clashes continue between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (AP)
Smoke rises over Khartoum as clashes continue between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (AP)

Massive explosions rocked the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, and several air raids focused on areas controlled by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in the city's southern neighborhoods.

According to eyewitnesses, huge flames were seen in the center of Khartoum and around the vicinity of the presidential palace, large parts of which had been previously destroyed by intensive air strikes.

Explosions were heard in the sports city and the central market, targeting the RSF.

The Rapid Support responded by launching an artillery attack on army positions at the headquarters of the General Command and the Armored Corps, according to sources.

Before that, the head of the Sovereign Council, Army Commander Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, left Thursday his main headquarters in central Khartoum, which the Rapid Support Forces surround from several sides.

Residents said the army's drones bombed RSF sites in several neighborhoods north of Bahri.

On Friday, the Sudanese army announced that it had responded to a new attack by the Rapid Support Forces on the headquarters of the Armored Corp, during which they suffered heavy losses.

-Freedom and Change warns

Meanwhile, leaders in the Forces of Freedom and Change warned against Burhan's decision to form a caretaker government, according to what his close circles reported.

A member of the Executive Office of the Forces, Yasir Arman, said on the X platform that the "remnants" are waiting for Burhan in Port Sudan to form a caretaker government to prolong the war and plunder public money.

Arman wondered if Burhan would fulfill their desires at the expense of the people.

Furthermore, the People's Liberation Movement - Revolutionary faction, led by Arman, confirmed in a statement signed by his deputy, Buthaina Dinar, that the armed forces helped extract Burhan from the military headquarters.

The statement warned that reports about Burhan's intention to form a government in Port Sudan under the leadership of the remnants will deepen national divisions.

The movement suggested holding extensive consultations with all national and democratic forces and unifying a negotiation platform with regional and international partners to end the war

-Fear of division

The statement cautioned that expanding the war will not resolve the issue, and there is an opportunity for the army commander to present a new agenda that meets the people's agenda.

It warned that forming a government in Port Sudan might lead to establishing a parallel authority. It noted that it was better to harness all national energies towards a peaceful solution leading to a civil and democratic transition.

Burhan, who is currently in the Nile River state, is expected to arrive in Port Sudan city soon before heading on a foreign tour to neighboring countries.

-US condemnation

Furthermore, the United States strongly condemned pervasive conflict-related sexual violence (CRSV) in Sudan, which credible sources, including victims, have attributed to the RSF and their allied militias.

The US embassy in Khartoum said that “the numerous reports of rape, gang rape, and other forms of gender-based violence against women and girls in West Darfur and other areas are alarming.”

It warned that these “acts of brutality contribute to an emerging pattern of targeted ethnic violence.”

The US embassy echoed the UN Special Representative of Secretary-General Patten in calling on the RSF to condemn CRSV, commit to effective measures to prevent and address any acts of CRSV and declare zero-tolerance for sexual violence.

The statement called on the RSF and Armed Forces to immediately halt the fighting and allow safe passage for all civilians out of Nyala and South Darfur, asserting that “perpetrators of atrocities must be held accountable.”

“Accountability for sexual violence in conflict is a core priority for the US government, as reflected in the Presidential Memorandum signed by President Biden in November 2022, which directs the use of all available tools including legal, policy, diplomatic, and financial tools to deter such violence.”

On Friday, the US ambassador to Sudan, John Godfrey, stressed that the “belligerents, who have demonstrated they are not fit to govern, must end the conflict and transfer power to a civilian transitional government.”



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.