Tensions Mount Over Potential War Expansion in Sudan's Eastern Region

Army chief Abdulfattah al-Burhan during a tour at the Flamingo marine base in Port Sudan (File photo: AFP)
Army chief Abdulfattah al-Burhan during a tour at the Flamingo marine base in Port Sudan (File photo: AFP)
TT

Tensions Mount Over Potential War Expansion in Sudan's Eastern Region

Army chief Abdulfattah al-Burhan during a tour at the Flamingo marine base in Port Sudan (File photo: AFP)
Army chief Abdulfattah al-Burhan during a tour at the Flamingo marine base in Port Sudan (File photo: AFP)

Concerns are growing about the possibility of the ongoing conflict in Sudan spreading to new areas, including East Sudan, which had thus far remained unaffected by the clashes occurring in Khartoum and Darfur.

On Monday night, clashes erupted between the national army and the armed factions of local tribes in Port Sudan, raising concerns about a resurgence of violence. Since the outbreak of the war in April, the coastal city has served as an unofficial temporary capital of the country.

The leader of the alliance of parties and movements of the eastern tribes, Sheiba Drarar, claimed that the army unexpectedly fired on their forces outside the headquarters of the National Beja Party, and the troops responded before the situation stabilized.

Drarar, a prominent figure of the Beja tribe, stressed in a press statement that his forces did not initiate the aggression against the army.

He alleged that about 50 military vehicles surrounded their headquarters and interfered with inspecting some trucks loaded with foodstuff, lacking proper documentation.

- Army issues no comment

The army and the Red Sea state government have not commented on the clashes.

It is the first armed conflict in the coastal city since the war broke out between the army and the Rapid Support Forces in April.

An eyewitness in Port Sudan said the area witnessed intense crossfire in the city center between the army and a militia led by Drarar.

Another resident, who preferred to remain anonymous, reported that soldiers spread across the area after dismantling militia checkpoints, though others claimed a return to calm shortly after.

Port Sudan hosts the only currently operational airport in Sudan and serves as a haven for government and UN officials fleeing the battles in Khartoum.

The city had been unaffected by violence until Monday’s clashes.

In the past three weeks, Port Sudan has been a base for Army General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who remained settled in the General Command of the Army in Khartoum until late August, besieged by Rapid Support Forces fighters.

Burhan made six foreign trips departing from Port Sudan, which analysts believe were diplomatic efforts to support his position in case they launched negotiations to end the conflict.

Videos circulated on social media showed clashes with live ammunition in one of the populated districts of Port Sudan.

According to eyewitnesses, the "limited skirmish" caused panic among the citizens.

Hassan Abdullah, a resident of Port Sudan, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the brief clash occurred in the Deem Arab district.

The three states of Eastern Sudan, Red Sea, Kassala, and al-Qadarif, have historically faced tensions due to neglect from central governments.

Tribal and ethnic divisions have resulted in armed conflicts within the region, leaving hundreds of victims.

Earlier, the Rapid Support Forces commander, Mohammad Hamdan Dagalo, warned that his forces could reach any part of Sudan, including the eastern region, where remnants of the ousted regime are reportedly sheltered.

-Battles Intensify in the Capital

Clashes escalated in Khartoum between the army and the Rapid Support Forces, spanning many areas in the three cities: Khartoum, Bahri, and Omdurman.

Eyewitnesses reported that Sudanese military drones targeted Rapid Support Forces' positions in several districts in the East Nile area of the capital, Khartoum.

In response, the Rapid Support Forces launched artillery shells at the signal corps in Bahri and targeted locations in central Khartoum.

Meanwhile, the United Nations fears that Sudan could enter a comprehensive civil war and face the risk of division.

Two UN-affiliated agencies reported on Tuesday that more than 1,200 children have died of suspected measles and malnutrition in Sudan refugee camps, while many thousands more, including newborns, are at risk of death before year-end.

The agencies added that more than five months into the conflict between Sudan's army and the Rapid Support Forces, the country's healthcare sector is on its knees due to direct attacks from the warring parties and shortages of staff and medicines.

Chief of Public Health at the UNHCR Allen Maina told a UN briefing in Geneva that since May, over 1,200 children from Ethiopia and South Sudan under five had died in nine camps in White Nile state, home to one of Sudan's larger refugee populations.

"Unfortunately, we fear numbers will continue rising because of strained resources," he added, adding that partners struggled to vaccinate refugees, stoking the risk of epidemics.

The UN Children's Agency (UNICEF) said it worried that "many thousands of newborns" from among the 333,000 babies known to be due before the end of the year would die.

UNICEF spokesperson James Elder told the same briefing that the kids and their mothers need skilled delivery care.

However, in a country where millions are either trapped in war zones or displaced and where there are grave shortages of medical supplies, such care is becoming less likely by the day.

Every month, some 55,000 children require treatment for the worst form of malnutrition in Sudan, but fewer than one in 50 nutrition centers are functional in the capital, Khartoum, and one in ten in West Darfur, he said.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.