Tensions over Refugee Crisis Boil over into Clash between Lebanese, Syrians

In this photo released on Aug. 9, 2023, by the Lebanese Army official website, the Lebanese Army lines up a group of Syrians accused of illegally crossing into Lebanon from Syria by way of smugglers in the town of Shadra, northern Lebanon's Akkar province. (Lebanese Army Website via AP)
In this photo released on Aug. 9, 2023, by the Lebanese Army official website, the Lebanese Army lines up a group of Syrians accused of illegally crossing into Lebanon from Syria by way of smugglers in the town of Shadra, northern Lebanon's Akkar province. (Lebanese Army Website via AP)
TT

Tensions over Refugee Crisis Boil over into Clash between Lebanese, Syrians

In this photo released on Aug. 9, 2023, by the Lebanese Army official website, the Lebanese Army lines up a group of Syrians accused of illegally crossing into Lebanon from Syria by way of smugglers in the town of Shadra, northern Lebanon's Akkar province. (Lebanese Army Website via AP)
In this photo released on Aug. 9, 2023, by the Lebanese Army official website, the Lebanese Army lines up a group of Syrians accused of illegally crossing into Lebanon from Syria by way of smugglers in the town of Shadra, northern Lebanon's Akkar province. (Lebanese Army Website via AP)

The tensions over the Syrian refugee crisis in Lebanon boiled over on Thursday into a clash between Lebanese and Syrians in the Mount Lebanon and northern regions.

Security forces and the army were quick to contain the clashes to prevent the tensions from taking violent turns in the future.

Syrians have come under increasing criticism in Lebanon in wake of the new flow of refugees who are escaping the economic crisis in their homeland. Lebanon itself is languishing under its own unprecedented economic crisis that many believe is being compounded by the refugees.

Moreover, the growing number of refugees has sparked warnings by Lebanese politicians that they pose an “existential threat” to Lebanon.

The government has since taken action. On Thursday, it shut over a hundred illegal businesses run by Syrians in the eastern Bekaa region.

The Lebanese believe that the Syrians are competition against them in the job market and are a burden on state services that are already lacking since the crisis erupted four years ago. Lebanon is hosting over 2 million Syrians, including 1.5 refugees, say authorities.

On Thursday, the tensions developed into clashes between the Lebanese and Syrians.

In the Dora area in Mount Lebanon – home to 2,000 Syrian refugees and workers – a dispute broke out near the Mar Maroun church. Soon after, announcements were made on loudspeakers for the local residents to gather and demand the ouster of the refugees and Syrian workers to leave the area.

Sources from the region told Asharq Al-Awsat that the tensions in the area had been simmering since Wednesday in wake of a traffic accident between a Syrian youth and Lebanese woman.

A Lebanese man had intervened to resolve the dispute, prompting the Syrian to verbally attack him. He then called on his fellow Syrian workers in the area to the scene.

Soon after, Lebanese residents of the area gathered around a tailor factory where the Syrians work, forcing the workers to remain in their homes. An army patrol soon made the Syrians leave the building.

The sources said the tensions still persist, with the Lebanese refusing to allow the Syrians to remain in the area. There are no guarantees that such an incident will not happen again even though the army was quick to intervene and contain the situation.

In the North, media reports spoke of a dispute that had erupted in the Beddawi Palestinian refugee camp between a group of Syrian youths and another comprised of Lebanese and Palestinians over insults that were traded between them. The attacks soon turned violent, leaving two people wounded.

Security fears

The army and security forces’ quick action to contain clashes does not appear to be stopping the unrest from happening.

Security sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the fears will remain since the roots of the problem are still there.

The sheer number of Syrians makes it inevitable that they will interact with the Lebanese and cause more problems, noting that some of the Syrians already have criminal records, which only deepen the tensions.

From the Lebanese perspective, they feel that the Syrians are competing against them for job opportunities, and they are benefiting from state services without paying any taxes.

Incitement

The Progressive Socialist Party’s (PSP) Democratic Gathering parliamentary bloc said: “Due to official negligence, populist stances and discrimination, the Syrian refugee crisis has turned into a dangerous reality.”

It called for an end to “all acts of incitement to avoid their repercussions on internal security” and an end to the “odd political exploitation of the situation” by some parties who proposed the “export of the refugees.”

In a statement, the bloc urged the government to convene “immediately” and “adopt and implement a clear policy through carrying out a comprehensive survey of Syrians in Lebanon, making the distinction between workers and refugees.”

It must determine the means of cooperation with relevant international agencies and grant the army and security forces the necessary support to carry out their duties in this regard.

“Back in 2011, the Democratic Gathering and PSP were the first to call on the state to deal with the refugees in a systematic manner and set up camps so that any repercussions would be contained in those camps alone,” it continued.

“The populists themselves, however, rejected the proposal because they believed that the camps would pave the way for the naturalization of the refugees. Now they are using the same excuse.”

“The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees must carry out its duties in full towards in the Syrian refugees and provide the necessary funding to support them equally with the Lebanese host,” it demanded.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."