Iran Accuses Israel of ‘Genocide’ Against the Palestinians in Gaza

A large Palestinian flag on a building in Tehran (West Asian News Agency)
A large Palestinian flag on a building in Tehran (West Asian News Agency)
TT

Iran Accuses Israel of ‘Genocide’ Against the Palestinians in Gaza

A large Palestinian flag on a building in Tehran (West Asian News Agency)
A large Palestinian flag on a building in Tehran (West Asian News Agency)

Iranian President Ibrahim Raisi said on Thursday that the US administration must bear responsibility for killing women and children and destroying residential homes in occupied Palestine.

Speaking at Shiraz University during the opening ceremony of the academic year, Raisi announced that countries supporting the crimes of the Zionist entity, contrary to international standards and regulations, must be held accountable.

Raisi congratulated the victories of the resistance front, especially the Palestinian fighters, in the face of the Zionists' ruthless attack.

He accused Israel of dropping bombs on the defenseless people in Gaza because it couldn't defeat the Palestinian fighters, adding that it was a sign of the defeat of the Zionists.

During a phone call Wednesday, Raisi discussed with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad the recent developments in the Palestinian territories, according to the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA).

The two presidents affirmed their position in support of the Palestinian people against Israeli crimes and their legitimate resistance to defend their just cause and restore their rights.

Assad stressed that Zionist policies are causing the bloodshed, emphasizing the necessity of rapid action at the Arab and Islamic levels to protect the Palestinians, particularly in the Gaza Strip, and stop the Israeli raids targeting children and women.

The Iranian President stressed that all Islamic and Arab countries, and all the free people of the world, must unite to stop the crimes of the Zionist entity against the oppressed Palestinian people, according to IRNA News Agency.

Raisi announced that Iran is trying to achieve Islamic and Arab cooperation through contact with the presidents and leaders of Islamic countries.

Meanwhile, the Syrian Foreign Minister, Faisal al-Mikdad, called on the Arabs to support the Palestinian people in various forms and means.

In a Syrian statement during the emergency meeting of the Arab League at the ministerial level in Cairo, Mikdad warned of a large-scale humanitarian catastrophe that may occur in the Gaza Strip, the region, and the world.

He accused the West of supporting "Zionist terrorist gangs and Israeli extremists," saying "Israel-backed terrorists" attacked the Military College in Homs last week, killing hundreds.

Furthermore, Iran's Foreign Minister Hussein Amirabdollahian said the Zionist occupation is the main reason for the crisis in the West Asian region.

Before leaving for Baghdad at the beginning of his Middle East tour, which will include Damascus and Beirut, Amirabdollahian said the world has witnessed in recent days the scenes that show the Israeli regime's attempt to massacre the defenseless people of Gaza and civilians.

"This entity has killed hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, and according to the available international statistics, 33,000 children have been martyred by the Zionists."

He warned that the Zionists want to massacre the people of Gaza, noting that the war is against all Palestinians, not just the people of Gaza.

"The continuation of war crimes by (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu and Zionists against the civilians in Gaza, besieging, cutting off water and electricity, and denying entry of medicine and food, has created conditions where the Zionists are seeking a genocide of all people in Gaza," he said.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.