Israeli Strikes on Gaza Intensify as Humanitarian Crisis Deepens

FILE PHOTO: Palestinians with dual citizenship gather outside Rafah border crossing with Egypt in the hope of getting permission to leave Gaza, amid the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict, in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip October 14, 2023. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Palestinians with dual citizenship gather outside Rafah border crossing with Egypt in the hope of getting permission to leave Gaza, amid the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict, in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip October 14, 2023. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa/File Photo
TT

Israeli Strikes on Gaza Intensify as Humanitarian Crisis Deepens

FILE PHOTO: Palestinians with dual citizenship gather outside Rafah border crossing with Egypt in the hope of getting permission to leave Gaza, amid the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict, in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip October 14, 2023. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Palestinians with dual citizenship gather outside Rafah border crossing with Egypt in the hope of getting permission to leave Gaza, amid the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict, in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip October 14, 2023. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa/File Photo

Diplomatic efforts to arrange a ceasefire to let aid reach the besieged Gaza Strip failed on Monday, and Israel ordered the evacuation of villages in a strip of territory near its border with Lebanon, raising fears the war could spread to a new front.

Israel has vowed to annihilate the Hamas movement that rules Gaza, after its fighters burst across the barrier surrounding the enclave on Oct. 7, gunning down 1,300 Israelis, mainly civilians, in the deadliest day in Israel's 75-year history.

It has put Gaza, home to 2.3 million Palestinians, under a total blockade and pounded it with unprecedented air strikes, and is widely expected to launch a ground assault. Gaza authorities say at least 2,750 people have been killed there, including mainly civilians.

According to the United Nations, a million Gazans have already been driven from their homes. Power is out, sanitary water is scarce, and the last fuel for emergency generators could be used up within a day.

Residents said overnight air strikes were the heaviest yet, and the bombing carried on through the day.

"We were inside the house when we found bodies scattering, flying in the air - bodies of children who have nothing to do with the war," said resident Abed Rabayaa, whose neighbor's house in Khan Younis, the main city in the southern part of the enclave, was hit overnight.

In the biggest sign yet that the war could spread to a new front, Israel ordered the evacuation on Monday of 28 villages in a two km-deep zone near its Lebanese border. Lebanon's Hezbollah movement said it had targeted five Israeli positions.

The past week has already seen the deadliest clashes in the border area since a major 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah, which, like Hamas, is an ally of Iran.

In a speech to parliament, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israelis should prepare for a long battle, and delivered a warning to Tehran and Hezbollah in which he referred to the 2006 war, which displaced a million Lebanese.

"Now we are focused on one target: to unite forces and charge forward to victory. This requires determination because victory will take time," he said.

"And I have a message for Iran and Hezbollah, don't test us in the north. Don't make the same mistake you once made. Because today the price you will pay will be much heavier."

‘Shelling, crying, screaming, blood’

The 10 days of strikes so far have failed to eliminate Hamas' capability to fire rockets into Israel, where warning sirens sounded. Hamas said it fired a barrage at Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.

Diplomatic efforts have concentrated on getting aid into Gaza through the Rafah crossing with Egypt, the sole route out that is not controlled by Israel.

Egypt said Israel was not cooperating, leaving hundreds of tons of supplies stuck.

"There is an urgent need to alleviate the suffering of Palestinian civilians in Gaza," Egypt's Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry told reporters, adding talks with Israel on opening Rafah for aid had so far been fruitless.

Washington has also been focusing on getting the crossing briefly opened to allow some of the few hundred Gazans with US passports to leave. Shoukry said Egypt could allow medical evacuations and let in some Gazans with permission to travel.

There has been no public talk, however, of Egypt accepting a mass influx of refugees, meaning the vast majority of Gazans are unlikely to be offered a route out. Egypt and other Arab states say a mass exodus would be unacceptable because it would amount to the expulsion of Palestinians from their land.

Those trying to reach the crossing inside Gaza described the route as perilous and under attack.

"On our way to the crossing they shelled Rafah Street and we started screaming," said one resident near the crossing, Hadeel Abu Dahoud. "Nowhere is safe in Gaza. Wherever we go there's shelling, shelling, crying, screaming, blood."

Israel has said more than a million people in the northern half of the enclave must head to the southern half for their safety. While tens of thousands have complied and fled, the United Nations says there is no way to move so many people without causing a humanitarian catastrophe; Hamas has told them to stay put.

With each day of air strikes, Gazans have been clawing at the rubble of flattened buildings with bare hands to rescue neighbors and recover the dead, with virtually no mechanical equipment to clear away the wreckage.

Civil emergency officer Abid Saqir told Reuters at one bomb site that there were at least 1,000 bodies trapped under rubble at locations across the enclave.

Mohammad Abu Saleema, director of the largest hospital in the Gaza Strip, said those seriously wounded must be sent to hospitals outside Gaza or there would be no room for more wounded to be treated.

Cairo says the Rafah crossing is not officially closed but is inoperable due to Israeli strikes on the Gaza side. US officials were still hoping Rafah would operate for a few hours later on Monday, White House spokesman John Kirby said, though earlier hopes had been dashed.

Early on Monday, two Egyptian security sources had told Reuters a temporary ceasefire in southern Gaza had been agreed to last several hours to facilitate aid and evacuations at Rafah. However, Egyptian state TV later quoted an unnamed, high-level source as saying that no truce had been agreed. Israel and Hamas both denied reports of a deal to open the crossing.

On the ground at Rafah, one source said the Egyptian side of the crossing was ready. Hundreds of tons of aid from agencies and donor countries was waiting on trucks in the nearby Egyptian town of Al-Arish for clearance to enter.

"We are waiting for the green light for the aid to enter and dozens of volunteers are ready at any time," a Red Crescent official in northern Sinai said.



Ramadan’s First Friday Prayers Are Held at Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque

Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Ramadan’s First Friday Prayers Are Held at Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque

Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)

Tens of thousands of Palestinians gathered under heavy Israeli restrictions at Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, including some who were allowed to enter from the occupied West Bank.

The Ramadan prayers at Al-Aqsa took place for the first time since a shaky ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas went into effect in October. It was the first opportunity many had to leave the West Bank and pray at the site in Jerusalem’s Old City since Ramadan last year.

Israel restricted the number of Palestinians allowed to enter from the West Bank to 10,000 on Friday, and only allowed men over 55 and women over 50 as well as children up to 12. It has imposed similar restrictions in the past, citing security concerns.

The hilltop, which Jews refer to as the Temple Mount, is the holiest site in Judaism and was home to the ancient biblical temples. Muslims call the site the Noble Sanctuary. Today it is home to Al-Aqsa Mosque, the third-holiest site in Islam.

It has frequently been a flashpoint in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Israeli police said more than 3,000 police were deployed across Jerusalem. They said their presence was not meant to show aggression or force but was aimed at providing help in case of an emergency.

Many Palestinians view the heightened Israeli security presence, and increasing visits by religious and nationalist Israeli Jews, as a provocation. They fear that Israel intends to take over or partition the compound. The Israeli government denies having any such plans.

Jerusalem’s Islamic Waqf, the Jordanian religious authority that administers the compound, said there were 80,000 in attendance. In normal times, Ramadan Friday prayers at Al-Aqsa can draw up to 200,000.

Ezaldeen Mustafah, a Palestinian from the West Bank, was among those lamenting the restrictions.

“We need more people than this,” he said.

Some Palestinians from the West Bank on Friday said they were turned away from crossing into Jerusalem even though they had permits. Jihad Bisharat said he was told his permit had been canceled and was sent back. Israel's army didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Old City, home to major religious sites sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims, is in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in the 1967 Mideast war, along with the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The Palestinians want all three territories for a future state with its capital in east Jerusalem. Israel annexed east Jerusalem, a move not recognized by most of the international community, and considers the entire city to be its capital.

Ramadan in Gaza

Many Palestinians said the month’s typically festive spirit is eluding them as they struggle with grief and losses following two years of conflict in Gaza sparked by Hamas' Oct. 7, 2023, attack into Israel.

“All the mosques have been bombed,” said Ramiz Firwana, a Gaza resident who gathered with other worshippers for a Friday sermon and prayers held in schoolyard.

On Thursday evening, families sat amid the rubble and destruction for iftar, the meal held at the end of the daily dawn-to-dusk fast.

“Despite the displacement, the pain and the destruction, we want to rejoice and live,” said Mohammad Kollab, from Khan Younis. “We are not a people destined only for destruction and killing."

Israel’s military offensive has killed more than 72,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, and caused widespread destruction and displaced most of the territory’s residents. Israel launched the offensive after Hamas-led militants killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and took another 251 hostage in the initial attack.

The Oct. 10 US-brokered ceasefire deal has brought an end to major military operations and the release of the remaining hostages. But Palestinians, including many civilians, are still being killed in near-daily strikes that Israel says are aimed at militants who threaten or attack its forces.


Parliamentary Elections Preparations Kick off in Lebanon Despite Doubts They Will Be Held

Head of the Lebanese Forces Samir Geagea announces the launch of its electoral campaign in Bcharre. (National News Agency)
Head of the Lebanese Forces Samir Geagea announces the launch of its electoral campaign in Bcharre. (National News Agency)
TT

Parliamentary Elections Preparations Kick off in Lebanon Despite Doubts They Will Be Held

Head of the Lebanese Forces Samir Geagea announces the launch of its electoral campaign in Bcharre. (National News Agency)
Head of the Lebanese Forces Samir Geagea announces the launch of its electoral campaign in Bcharre. (National News Agency)

Political forces in Lebanon have kicked off their preparations for the upcoming parliamentary elections in May despite doubts that they may not be held. No more than ten candidates have so far submitted their nominations as the political powers work on postponing the elections while still preparing to run in them.

Shiite duo

Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri has repeatedly said that the elections will be held on time.

He received on Friday a delegation from Hezbollah’s Loyalty to the Resistance bloc headed by MP Mohammed Raad. Talks focused on political developments and the elections.

Berri’s Amal movement and Hezbollah are allies that form the so-called “Shiite duo”.

Following the meeting, Raad said both sides share the same views and that their alliance still stands.

“Together, they will form national unity against all challenges,” he declared. “We will run in the elections together.”

It remains to be seen what other alliances the Shiite duo will manage to forge.

The Free Patriotic Movement (FPM), headed by MP Jebran Bassil, had previously ended its alliance with Hezbollah, but reports have said the two sides may hold negotiations related to the elections.

Geagea: Elections are critical

Samir Geagea’s Lebanese Forces launched on Friday the party’s electoral campaign from Bcharre, announcing the nomination of MP Setrida Tawk Geagea and former MP Joseph Ishak, who will both run in the province.

More candidates will be announced within a week, leading LF sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Samir Geagea described the elections as a “pivotal juncture in reclaiming the state and consolidating its sovereignty,” calling for a large turnout.

Sources from the LF acknowledged that the elections may be postponed, but until that happens, the party will operate as though they are going to be held on time.

The FPM had last week cited “negative” signals that may impede the elections given the ongoing dispute over the voting of expatriates and other differences.

The LF sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that preparations for the elections are taking place “on all levels” and “covering all of their aspects.”

The remaining candidates will be announced within days, they revealed.

“For us, the main question is why and how will the current parliament’s term be extended and who will dare to even suggest it?” they said.

“We are therefore convinced that the elections will be held. We are making our preparations based on the firm conviction that the elections need to be held. There really is no reason to delay them, and we will stand against anyone who tries to do so,” they added.

The Interior Ministry had announced that candidates have between February 10 and March 10 to submit their nominations.


US Makes Plans to Reopen Embassy in Syria after 14 Years

This handout picture released by the Syrian Presidency's Telegram page, shows Syria's President Ahmed al-Sharaa (R) shaking hands with US envoy Tom Barrack at the Presidential Palace in Damascus on January 18, 2026. (Photo by Handout / Syrian Presidency Telegram Page / AFP)
This handout picture released by the Syrian Presidency's Telegram page, shows Syria's President Ahmed al-Sharaa (R) shaking hands with US envoy Tom Barrack at the Presidential Palace in Damascus on January 18, 2026. (Photo by Handout / Syrian Presidency Telegram Page / AFP)
TT

US Makes Plans to Reopen Embassy in Syria after 14 Years

This handout picture released by the Syrian Presidency's Telegram page, shows Syria's President Ahmed al-Sharaa (R) shaking hands with US envoy Tom Barrack at the Presidential Palace in Damascus on January 18, 2026. (Photo by Handout / Syrian Presidency Telegram Page / AFP)
This handout picture released by the Syrian Presidency's Telegram page, shows Syria's President Ahmed al-Sharaa (R) shaking hands with US envoy Tom Barrack at the Presidential Palace in Damascus on January 18, 2026. (Photo by Handout / Syrian Presidency Telegram Page / AFP)

The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.

A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”

The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.

The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump's ambassador to Türkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.

Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under Ahmad al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities. Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.

The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria's decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the ISIS militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.

“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-ISIS Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.

The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.

However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.