Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia Kick Off New Round of Talks over GERD

A new round of negotiations kicked off in Cairo on Monday over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) at the ministerial level (Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation)
A new round of negotiations kicked off in Cairo on Monday over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) at the ministerial level (Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation)
TT

Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia Kick Off New Round of Talks over GERD

A new round of negotiations kicked off in Cairo on Monday over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) at the ministerial level (Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation)
A new round of negotiations kicked off in Cairo on Monday over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) at the ministerial level (Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation)

A new round of negotiations at the ministerial level between Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan kicked off in Cairo on Monday over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD).

The meeting came amid “low expectations” on reaching positive results, in light of the failed previous rounds of negotiations between the three parties.

According to a statement from the Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation, the Cairo meeting follows up on recent talks held in Cairo and Addis Ababa over the past two months.

It is based on talks between the three countries to accelerate the process of reaching an agreement on the rules for filling and operating the GERD, following a meeting between leaders of Egypt and Ethiopia on July 13, it said.

Observers told Asharq al-Awsat that the GERD issue has become more complex after a failed round of talks in Cairo and Addis Ababa in August and September, and more so after Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed announced on September 10 that his country had successfully completed the fourth operation of filling the GERD reservoir.

At the time, Ethiopia’s move was criticized by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry, which accused Addis Ababa of ignoring the interests and rights of Egypt and Sudan, and their water security guaranteed by the rules of international law.

Abass Sharaky, professor of geology and water resources at Cairo University, told Asharq Al-Awsat that “the current round of negotiations would not discuss issues that previously happened, particularly that Ethiopia already completed the four stages of filling the Renaissance Dam.”

He said the negotiations are about future measures. The ministerial meeting aims to set specific rules for the annual filling of the dam and its operation, especially in drought periods where rainfall is low, Shakary noted.

“The ongoing negotiations are not expected to offer anything new or come up with an agreement, particularly in the absence of international or regional parties that can guarantee a binding agreement amid Ethiopia’s ongoing policy of fait accompli.”

The failure of the three countries to reach a binding agreement led Egypt last month to continue its international escalation on the issue of GERD.

The North African nation affirmed in its fourth letter regarding the GERD to the UN Security Council that “Ethiopia's unilateral actions regarding the filling and operation of the dam constitute an existential threat to Egypt and a threat to its stability.”

The address was sent by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry to the UNSC on the occasion of Ethiopia announcing the completion of the fourth filling of the GERD.

Egypt insists on the need to reach a binding and comprehensive agreement that guarantees the rights and interests of the three countries.

In August, President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi affirmed his country’s commitment to reaching a legally-binding agreement with regard to GERD in a meeting with US Congress members.

Egyptian Assistant Foreign Minister Mohamed Al-Orabi told Asharq Al-Awsat that Egypt is dealing with the GERD file through diplomatic channels and respect of international law.

“Therefore, Cairo will continue to negotiate with the other parties despite not reaching results on the GERD issue,” Al-Orabi said, noting that even international and regional mediation is no longer possible at the present time due to Egypt's and the world's involvement in the Gaza war.

Also, the director of the African program at the Al-Ahram Center for Political and Strategic Studies in Cairo, Dr .Amani El Taweel, told Asharq Al-Awsat that in light of the past rounds of negotiations, the expectations to reach a binding agreement between the three parties remains “limited,” particularly that Ethiopia has failed to show any positive signs regarding this file.

She said Addis Ababa might believe that Egypt is currently engaged in the Gaza war and therefore Ethiopia could exploit the situation to further impose its de facto policy when dealing with the GERD issue.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.