Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia Kick Off New Round of Talks over GERD

A new round of negotiations kicked off in Cairo on Monday over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) at the ministerial level (Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation)
A new round of negotiations kicked off in Cairo on Monday over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) at the ministerial level (Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation)
TT

Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia Kick Off New Round of Talks over GERD

A new round of negotiations kicked off in Cairo on Monday over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) at the ministerial level (Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation)
A new round of negotiations kicked off in Cairo on Monday over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) at the ministerial level (Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation)

A new round of negotiations at the ministerial level between Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan kicked off in Cairo on Monday over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD).

The meeting came amid “low expectations” on reaching positive results, in light of the failed previous rounds of negotiations between the three parties.

According to a statement from the Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation, the Cairo meeting follows up on recent talks held in Cairo and Addis Ababa over the past two months.

It is based on talks between the three countries to accelerate the process of reaching an agreement on the rules for filling and operating the GERD, following a meeting between leaders of Egypt and Ethiopia on July 13, it said.

Observers told Asharq al-Awsat that the GERD issue has become more complex after a failed round of talks in Cairo and Addis Ababa in August and September, and more so after Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed announced on September 10 that his country had successfully completed the fourth operation of filling the GERD reservoir.

At the time, Ethiopia’s move was criticized by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry, which accused Addis Ababa of ignoring the interests and rights of Egypt and Sudan, and their water security guaranteed by the rules of international law.

Abass Sharaky, professor of geology and water resources at Cairo University, told Asharq Al-Awsat that “the current round of negotiations would not discuss issues that previously happened, particularly that Ethiopia already completed the four stages of filling the Renaissance Dam.”

He said the negotiations are about future measures. The ministerial meeting aims to set specific rules for the annual filling of the dam and its operation, especially in drought periods where rainfall is low, Shakary noted.

“The ongoing negotiations are not expected to offer anything new or come up with an agreement, particularly in the absence of international or regional parties that can guarantee a binding agreement amid Ethiopia’s ongoing policy of fait accompli.”

The failure of the three countries to reach a binding agreement led Egypt last month to continue its international escalation on the issue of GERD.

The North African nation affirmed in its fourth letter regarding the GERD to the UN Security Council that “Ethiopia's unilateral actions regarding the filling and operation of the dam constitute an existential threat to Egypt and a threat to its stability.”

The address was sent by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry to the UNSC on the occasion of Ethiopia announcing the completion of the fourth filling of the GERD.

Egypt insists on the need to reach a binding and comprehensive agreement that guarantees the rights and interests of the three countries.

In August, President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi affirmed his country’s commitment to reaching a legally-binding agreement with regard to GERD in a meeting with US Congress members.

Egyptian Assistant Foreign Minister Mohamed Al-Orabi told Asharq Al-Awsat that Egypt is dealing with the GERD file through diplomatic channels and respect of international law.

“Therefore, Cairo will continue to negotiate with the other parties despite not reaching results on the GERD issue,” Al-Orabi said, noting that even international and regional mediation is no longer possible at the present time due to Egypt's and the world's involvement in the Gaza war.

Also, the director of the African program at the Al-Ahram Center for Political and Strategic Studies in Cairo, Dr .Amani El Taweel, told Asharq Al-Awsat that in light of the past rounds of negotiations, the expectations to reach a binding agreement between the three parties remains “limited,” particularly that Ethiopia has failed to show any positive signs regarding this file.

She said Addis Ababa might believe that Egypt is currently engaged in the Gaza war and therefore Ethiopia could exploit the situation to further impose its de facto policy when dealing with the GERD issue.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.