Iraq Says 170 Displaced Yazidis Return to Sinjar

Two members of the resistance units in Sinjar, that are close to the Kurdistan Workers' Party, plant explosives in a village near Sinjar (Reuters).
Two members of the resistance units in Sinjar, that are close to the Kurdistan Workers' Party, plant explosives in a village near Sinjar (Reuters).
TT

Iraq Says 170 Displaced Yazidis Return to Sinjar

Two members of the resistance units in Sinjar, that are close to the Kurdistan Workers' Party, plant explosives in a village near Sinjar (Reuters).
Two members of the resistance units in Sinjar, that are close to the Kurdistan Workers' Party, plant explosives in a village near Sinjar (Reuters).

Iraq's migration ministry said almost 170 displaced Yazidis have returned from the Sharya camp in Dohuk in the Kurdistan Region to their homes in Sinjar, which the ISIS terrorist organization had seized in 2014. The group was defeated in 2019.

Minister Ivan Faiq said that 170 displaced Yazidis returned voluntarily to Sinjar and its affiliated districts and villages in Nineveh in coordination with the security forces, local governments, and the leadership of joint operations.

She indicated that once arriving in their original areas, the returnees will be granted relief aid, adding that the next few days will witness the voluntary return of more displaced people from Dohuk camps to Sinjar.

In response to Asharq Al-Awsat, Ministry of Migration spokesman Ali Abbas Jahangir said there are about 35,500 non-returning families in 26 displacement camps in Dohuk.

Jahangir said authorities closed 148 camps and continue to help those wishing to return to their areas.

The Ministry intends to declare the central and southern governorates free of displacement in the next few months after some of the formerly displaced families settled there.

On Monday, the Department of Immigration and Displacement in Dohuk Governorate announced the return of 85 displaced families to Sinjar as part of the sixth phase of the return process program.

Department director Dian Jaafar said in press statements that the return process is going very slowly, explaining that the program began about two years ago, and since then only 290 families have gone back to Sinjar.

Jaafar pointed out that aid from the International Organization for Migration (IOM), which runs the return program, has declined significantly. It is now limited to covering transportation costs, estimated at $1,240 for each returning family.

Much of the reconstruction of infrastructure in Sinjar still needs to be completed, discouraging many families from returning.

Last June, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said the reconstruction is being held up by a political dispute.

In April 2023, Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani ordered the government to allocate $34.2 million for the reconstruction.

"But a political dispute between the federal government Baghdad and Kurdistan Regional Government has prevented other previously allocated funds from being used," said HRW.

On Oct. 19, the Yazidi activist and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Nadia Murad said politicians and warlords are preventing the return of stability to Sinjar.

Murad called on the Iraqi government to compensate the survivors and ensure the return of the displaced from camps to their areas.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.