American Ambassador of Iraqi Origins, Would She Reinforce Ties with Egypt?

Herro Mustafa Garg during her swearing-in to assume her new position as US Ambassador to Cairo. (US Embassy in Egypt)
Herro Mustafa Garg during her swearing-in to assume her new position as US Ambassador to Cairo. (US Embassy in Egypt)
TT

American Ambassador of Iraqi Origins, Would She Reinforce Ties with Egypt?

Herro Mustafa Garg during her swearing-in to assume her new position as US Ambassador to Cairo. (US Embassy in Egypt)
Herro Mustafa Garg during her swearing-in to assume her new position as US Ambassador to Cairo. (US Embassy in Egypt)

The White House announced Wednesday the nomination of a new ambassador to Egypt in which Herro Mustafa Garg was sworn in to assume her new position.

She is the first refugee from Iraqi Kurdistan to be assigned to this post.

"Ambassador Herro Mustafa Garg was sworn in yesterday as the new US Ambassador to Egypt. The Ambassador will lead the US Embassy in Cairo during a significant moment in the strategic bilateral US-EG relationship and advance our joint efforts for stability, security, and prosperity in the region," said the US Embassy Cairo in a post on X.

Her appointment comes at a time when the crisis in the Gaza Strip casts its shadow on the diverging points of view between Egypt and the US, in addition to the many turning points faced by the relations between the two countries against the background of repeated cuts in the American aid allocated to Egypt.

Garg served as the US Ambassador to the Republic of Bulgaria from October 2019 to March 2023, according to the White House website.

Previously, she was the Deputy Chief of Mission at the US Embassy in Lisbon, Portugal, and Political Minister Counselor at the US Embassy in New Delhi, India.

She also served as Director for Iran, Israeli-Palestinian Affairs, and Jordan at the National Security Council, as well as National Security Council Director for Iraq and Afghanistan, the White House added.

Garg also served overseas as lead US Civilian Coordinator in Mosul, Iraq, as Consular Officer in Beirut, Lebanon, and as Political Officer in Athens, Greece.

Her other Washington assignments include Deputy Director of the Afghanistan Office and Advisor on the Middle East in the Office of the Under Secretary for Political Affairs.

Herro was born in 1973 in Erbil, a Kurdistan Region of Iraq. She spent two years in a refugee camp. Her family requested political asylum in the US in 1976.

In 2021 she was honored by the Carnegie Corporation as one of the Great Immigrants of America.

Garg speaks English, Kurdish, Arabic, Farsi, Greek, Hindi, and Portuguese. She has a Bachelor’s from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service and a Master’s from Princeton University.

Ambassador Hussein Haridy, former Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs of Egypt, stressed the significance of the thorough cultural and knowledge background of the ambassador.

Yet, he told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper that the ambassador implements the foreign policy of his country, and the cultural background or personal characteristics of the diplomat do not affect this.

He further highlighted the “exceptional circumstances” during which the new ambassador was appointed.

Haridy also pointed to the huge responsibility she bears on her shoulders to explain the policy of her country, not only in the current crisis in the Gaza Strip but also in the arrangements for the next phase.

Last month, the chairman of the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Democratic US Senator Ben Cardin, called for blocking military aid to Egypt against the background of criticism of the country’s human rights record and freedoms.

Egypt has been receiving $1.3 billion annual military aid since the signing of the first US-brokered peace agreement between an Arab state and Israel, in 1979.

The US Administration hinges approximately $300 million of this aid to the extent of Cairo’s compliance with commitments related to its legal record, according to the US Department of State.

In September, the Biden Administration decided to waive the freezing of $235 million in aid due to human rights restrictions.

This is not the first time that the US Administration has made such decisions, as Washington withheld $130 million last year and allowed the release of $75 million only from military aid, while Cairo received another $95 million under a legal exception related to anti-terrorism and security funding.

Egypt stresses its respect for human rights, and the Egyptian authorities deny the US reports on the presence of political prisoners.

Two years ago, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi launched Egypt’s National Strategy for Human Rights which will address civilian, political, economic, social, and cultural rights.

The President also reconstituted the "Presidential Amnesty Committee" last April and called for a national dialogue among the various political factions, including the opposition.



UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.


Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has raised the alert level of its military along the border with Lebanon, raising questions that Lebanon’s south may again be involved in a regional confrontation should the US attack Iran.

Given the heightened tensions between the US and Iran, questions have been asked over whether Hezbollah will become involved in a new war. Its Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem had recently announced that the party will not remain on the side if Iran is attacked.

On the ground, Israel blew up houses in southern Lebanon border towns and carried out air strikes in the south. Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the raids targeted “Hezbollah infrastructure,” including arms caches and rocket launchers.

Their presence in the south is a violation of current agreements, he added.

Amid the high regional tensions, Israel’s Maariv quoted a military source as saying that the army has come up with plans, including a preemptive strike against Hezbollah, which would drag the south and the whole of Lebanon into a new war.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the presidency has been carrying out internal and foreign contacts since Thursday morning to keep Lebanon out of any escalation.

Hezbollah had launched a “support front” war against Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack. In 2024, the war spiraled into an all-out conflict, with Israel decimating the Hezbollah leadership and severely weakening the party.

Israel believes that Hezbollah has been rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire that was struck in November 2024.

Kassim Kassir, a political analyst who is close to Hezbollah, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “No one knows what Hezbollah will do because the situation is tied the extent of the attack, should it happen.”

He noted that Qassem was ambiguous when he said the party will decide what to do when the time is right, but at any rate, he stressed that the party will not remain on the sidelines or abandon Iran.

“No one knows what Hezbollah’s abilities are, so everything is possible,” Kassir said.

Riad Kahwaji, a security and defense affairs expert, said he does not rule out the possibility that Hezbollah would join the war should the US attack Iran.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he stressed that Iran is now the United States’ main target, when previously it used to confront its proxies.

It has now taken the fight directly to the heart of the problem, which is the Iranian regime, he remarked.

The extent of the military mobilization in the region and the frequent American statements about regime change all indicate that a major military operation may be imminent, he added.

Israel’s military also favors preemptive operations, so it is watching Hezbollah, which remains Iran’s most powerful regional proxy despite the blows it received in 2024 war, Kahwaji said.

Hezbollah still possesses a rocket arsenal that can threaten Israel, he remarked.

Israel’s high level of alert on the border with Lebanon could be in readiness for any development. Should Tel Aviv receive word from Washington that it intends to attack Iran, then it could launch operations against Hezbollah as part of preemptive strikes aimed at preventing the party from launching attacks against it, Kahwaji said.

“As long as Hezbollah possesses heavy weapons, such as rockets, and drones, that it has not handed over to the army, then Lebanon will continue to be vulnerable to attacks in the next confrontation. It will be exposed to Israeli strikes as long as this issue remains unresolved,” he added.