Hezbollah Mourns 7 Fighters, Some Targeted in Syria

Israeli shells on Yarin village in southern Lebanon (AFP)
Israeli shells on Yarin village in southern Lebanon (AFP)
TT

Hezbollah Mourns 7 Fighters, Some Targeted in Syria

Israeli shells on Yarin village in southern Lebanon (AFP)
Israeli shells on Yarin village in southern Lebanon (AFP)

Hezbollah announced that Israel killed seven of its fighters without specifying whether they were killed in Israeli bombing in southern Lebanon or Israeli raids in Syria.

It is the party's largest death toll in one day since the start of the last confrontations on Oct. 8th.

Hezbollah named the seven fighters in a statement, which contradicts the party's media policy in announcing deaths since it engaged in battles with the Israeli forces in southern Lebanon.

Traditionally, the party would announce the death of its fighters in separate statements, but this time, it named all seven at once.

With that, the number of Hezbollah fighters killed since the outbreak of tension last month to 69.

Hezbollah's Military Media announced in a statement the "seven martyrs on the path of al-Quds," adding that "with utmost pride and honor, its "noble" martyrs are Martyr Ali Khalil al-Ali (Khodor) from Mleekh, Martyr Mohammad Ali Abbas Assaf (Jawad) from Boudai, Martyr Abdul Latif Hassan Swaidan (Safi) Yater, Martyr Mohammad Qassem Tleis (Abu Ali) from Brital, Martyr Jawad Mahdi Hashem (Abu Saleh) from Khiam, Martyr Jaafar Ali Sarhan (Mahran) from Mashghara, and Martyr Qassem Mohammad Awada )Malak Ghanem) from Jouayya.

- Damascus and Homs strikes

Meanwhile, Hezbollah and Israel continued to exchange fire in the south, and Israeli air strikes escalated on Thursday evening, coinciding with strikes on sensitive sites in Homs, central Syria.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) reported that Israel raided Hezbollah sites near Damascus.

SOHR director Rami Abdel Rahman told Asharq Al-Awsat that three of the fighters mourned by the party were killed in the Israeli targeting of farms and other Hezbollah sites near Aqraba and Sayyida Zeinab in southwest Damascus on Wednesday night.

Abdel Rahman has no information about the deaths of the other four, noting that Israel targeted Hezbollah and the Syrian army sites in the east of Shinchar, southeast of Homs.

He explained that the targets included air defense sites and drone launch pads, but the Syrian regime and Hezbollah were discreet about the strike. He indicated that the target was a security area, and whether there were casualties was not confirmed.

At Friday dawn, Israel targeted Syria in response to the crash of a drone on Thursday at a school in Eilat, southern Israel, according to the Israeli army.

The army said, in a statement on the "X" platform, that it struck the organization that targeted a school in Eilat.

"The Syrian regime is fully responsible for all terror activity that is carried out from Syrian territory. The IDF will respond severely to any attempt to attack the territory of the State of Israel," it said.

- Escalation in southern Lebanon

Israel and Hezbollah exchanged fire in southern Lebanon.

The Israeli army stated that it continued its operations to "destroy the infrastructure of the Hezbollah." Israeli combat aircraft bombed Hezbollah targets on Lebanese territory.

Thursday and Friday night witnessed a significant escalation in artillery shelling and air strikes.

The Lebanese National News Agency (NNA) reported that the Israeli forces expanded the scope of their attacks and targeted al-Jarmak, al-Aishiya, and Sojd with 175 mm shells.

They also carried out a raid on the outskirts of Blida, setting ablaze to one of the houses in the area.

Israel intermittently targeted the vicinity of Naqoura, Alma al-Shaab, and Jabal al-Labouneh, near the Blue Line, reported NNA.

Warplanes and reconnaissance aircraft hovered over the area, all the way to Hermel in the northern Bekaa in northeastern Lebanon.

Hezbollah fighters targeted a group of Israeli soldiers near the al-Asi site with guided missiles and directly targeted two other Israeli soldiers groups.

An Israeli artillery bombardment was recorded on the outskirts of al-Adissa and Kafr Kila with incendiary bombs and a similar bombardment on the Labouneh area in Naqoura.

The al-Resala Health Ambulance Association evacuated a family in Mays al-Jabal after Israel bombed their house.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.