Hezbollah Mourns 7 Fighters, Some Targeted in Syria

Israeli shells on Yarin village in southern Lebanon (AFP)
Israeli shells on Yarin village in southern Lebanon (AFP)
TT

Hezbollah Mourns 7 Fighters, Some Targeted in Syria

Israeli shells on Yarin village in southern Lebanon (AFP)
Israeli shells on Yarin village in southern Lebanon (AFP)

Hezbollah announced that Israel killed seven of its fighters without specifying whether they were killed in Israeli bombing in southern Lebanon or Israeli raids in Syria.

It is the party's largest death toll in one day since the start of the last confrontations on Oct. 8th.

Hezbollah named the seven fighters in a statement, which contradicts the party's media policy in announcing deaths since it engaged in battles with the Israeli forces in southern Lebanon.

Traditionally, the party would announce the death of its fighters in separate statements, but this time, it named all seven at once.

With that, the number of Hezbollah fighters killed since the outbreak of tension last month to 69.

Hezbollah's Military Media announced in a statement the "seven martyrs on the path of al-Quds," adding that "with utmost pride and honor, its "noble" martyrs are Martyr Ali Khalil al-Ali (Khodor) from Mleekh, Martyr Mohammad Ali Abbas Assaf (Jawad) from Boudai, Martyr Abdul Latif Hassan Swaidan (Safi) Yater, Martyr Mohammad Qassem Tleis (Abu Ali) from Brital, Martyr Jawad Mahdi Hashem (Abu Saleh) from Khiam, Martyr Jaafar Ali Sarhan (Mahran) from Mashghara, and Martyr Qassem Mohammad Awada )Malak Ghanem) from Jouayya.

- Damascus and Homs strikes

Meanwhile, Hezbollah and Israel continued to exchange fire in the south, and Israeli air strikes escalated on Thursday evening, coinciding with strikes on sensitive sites in Homs, central Syria.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) reported that Israel raided Hezbollah sites near Damascus.

SOHR director Rami Abdel Rahman told Asharq Al-Awsat that three of the fighters mourned by the party were killed in the Israeli targeting of farms and other Hezbollah sites near Aqraba and Sayyida Zeinab in southwest Damascus on Wednesday night.

Abdel Rahman has no information about the deaths of the other four, noting that Israel targeted Hezbollah and the Syrian army sites in the east of Shinchar, southeast of Homs.

He explained that the targets included air defense sites and drone launch pads, but the Syrian regime and Hezbollah were discreet about the strike. He indicated that the target was a security area, and whether there were casualties was not confirmed.

At Friday dawn, Israel targeted Syria in response to the crash of a drone on Thursday at a school in Eilat, southern Israel, according to the Israeli army.

The army said, in a statement on the "X" platform, that it struck the organization that targeted a school in Eilat.

"The Syrian regime is fully responsible for all terror activity that is carried out from Syrian territory. The IDF will respond severely to any attempt to attack the territory of the State of Israel," it said.

- Escalation in southern Lebanon

Israel and Hezbollah exchanged fire in southern Lebanon.

The Israeli army stated that it continued its operations to "destroy the infrastructure of the Hezbollah." Israeli combat aircraft bombed Hezbollah targets on Lebanese territory.

Thursday and Friday night witnessed a significant escalation in artillery shelling and air strikes.

The Lebanese National News Agency (NNA) reported that the Israeli forces expanded the scope of their attacks and targeted al-Jarmak, al-Aishiya, and Sojd with 175 mm shells.

They also carried out a raid on the outskirts of Blida, setting ablaze to one of the houses in the area.

Israel intermittently targeted the vicinity of Naqoura, Alma al-Shaab, and Jabal al-Labouneh, near the Blue Line, reported NNA.

Warplanes and reconnaissance aircraft hovered over the area, all the way to Hermel in the northern Bekaa in northeastern Lebanon.

Hezbollah fighters targeted a group of Israeli soldiers near the al-Asi site with guided missiles and directly targeted two other Israeli soldiers groups.

An Israeli artillery bombardment was recorded on the outskirts of al-Adissa and Kafr Kila with incendiary bombs and a similar bombardment on the Labouneh area in Naqoura.

The al-Resala Health Ambulance Association evacuated a family in Mays al-Jabal after Israel bombed their house.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.