Dozens Killed, Injured in Attack Targeting Iran's Allies in Syria

An Israeli attack in Syria (Syrian Observatory for Human Rights)
An Israeli attack in Syria (Syrian Observatory for Human Rights)
TT

Dozens Killed, Injured in Attack Targeting Iran's Allies in Syria

An Israeli attack in Syria (Syrian Observatory for Human Rights)
An Israeli attack in Syria (Syrian Observatory for Human Rights)

A military training site of an armed faction active in Syria came under attack by an "unknown source," killing nine members and wounding dozens of different nationalities, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR).

The incident unfolded a few hours after a group calling itself the "Islamic Resistance in Iraq" claimed responsibility for an attack on the Harir base in Erbil, situated in Iraq's Kurdistan region.

The Harir base hosts US forces as part of the mission of the International Coalition to Combat ISIS.

The Observatory said raids, which targeted the Syrian-Iraqi border area in al-Bukamal, targeted training sites, noting that several sites were comprehensively targeted at the same time.

SOHR suggested that Israel may be behind the recent attack on al-Bukamal on the Iraqi-Syrian border.

The US forces did not claim responsibility for the operation, as in previous similar operations.

Meanwhile, Hezbollah announced the death of four of its members, as some news reports claimed they were killed along with others following a US raid on the Syrian-Iraqi border.

Various news websites reported that the four Hezbollah members were killed on the Syrian-Iraqi border as a result of air strikes presumably conducted by unidentified aircraft, suspected to be of US origin.

Two members of an Iraqi faction told the Associated Press that three air strikes on eastern Syria, near a strategic border crossing with Iraq, resulted in the deaths of six Iran-backed fighters.

Furthermore, field sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that several Iraqi fighters may have been injured during the attack at a joint operational base for Iraqi and Lebanese groups.

Iraqi armed groups are active in that region, including the Hezbollah Brigades and the Harakat al-Nujaba, which have been carrying out attacks against several US bases in Iraq and Syria for months.

- Al-Harir once again

AP reported that the raids came hours after the Islamic Resistance in Iraq announced an attack on the al-Harir military facility in Erbil in northern Iraq.

The US did not comment on the attack, although it announced that similar raids were planned against sites of Iranian-backed groups after an escalation in attacks over the past two months.

Iraqi factions claimed responsibility for targeting the US "Kharab al-Jir" base in northeastern Syria.

The Islamic Resistance in Iraq said they bombed the base with a missile salvo in retaliation for Israeli military activities in the Gaza Strip since Oct. 7.

The group announced last Thursday that it had bombed "two Israeli targets inside Iraqi and Syrian territory in two separate operations."

Since the escalation of militia attacks in Iraq, US forces resorted to quick response by targeting sites related to planning or implementing the attacks to deter these groups.

Sources believe the US administration no longer links this issue with the Iraqi government due to the political complications that the Prime Minister faces with the ruling coalition that includes a range of political forces linked to Iran.

According to information obtained by Asharq Al-Awsat from US diplomats and Iraqi officials last month, the US forces will move to "direct and rapid response" to the factions' attacks after neglecting the "political considerations" it had placed on the government of Prime Minister Mohammad Shia al-Sudani aiming to "maintain stability."

- Israeli attack

The Syrian Ministry of Defense announced on Saturday that Israel targeted several points in south Aleppo.

The statement stated that Israel carried out "an aerial aggression from the direction of the Mediterranean towards the west of Latakia, targeting several points south of the city of Aleppo."

It quoted a military source as saying the Israeli attack resulted in some material losses, but the Observatory reported that the bombing of the Aleppo International Airport area killed one person and injured seven others.

SOHR said the Israeli missiles targeted farms between the villages of al-Dhahabia and Sheikh Saeed in the al-Nairab Military Airport area, which contains warehouses and headquarters for Iranian militias.

A missile also fell in the area of Aleppo International Airport and al-Nairab Military Airport without causing damage to the airport. Six explosions sounded in the area.

Two members of a group affiliated with the "Front for the Liberation of the Golan," working with the Lebanese Hezbollah, were killed in an Israeli ground bombardment on Friday, targeting the Qurs al-Nafal Hill Company in the Quneitra countryside.

It came in response to the firing of two missiles toward the occupied Syrian Golan from inside Syrian territory.

The Observatory indicated that the Front launched two missiles from Syrian territory towards the occupied Golan, coinciding with a significant alert by regime forces and militias adjacent to the occupied Golan in the countryside of Daraa and Quneitra.

Israel responded by bombing sites in Syria, targeting Qars al-Nafal hill and the vicinity of Hadar in the Quneitra countryside.

"Following the report regarding sirens sounding in northern Israel, a short while ago two launches that were identified crossing from Syria fell in an open area," the army said, according to Agence France Presse.

The Israeli army confirmed to AFP that the projectiles were rockets but did not say exactly where they fell.

Israel occupied parts of the Golan in the June 1967 war and announced its annexation to its territory in 1981, in a move unrecognized by the UN.

On Thursday, Israeli bombing targeted areas in Damascus and southern Syria, according to the Syrian Ministry of Defense and official media.

Israel rarely comments on individual strikes targeting Syria, but it has repeatedly said it will not allow archenemy Iran, which backs President Bashar al-Assad's government, to expand its presence there.

Israel launched hundreds of airstrikes on its northern neighbor since Syria's civil war began in 2011, primarily targeting Iran-backed forces, including Hezbollah fighters as well as Syrian army positions.

Israel intensified its attacks since the start of the war between it and Hamas in Oct. 7 in light of escalating tensions in the Middle East.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.