Yemeni Insurgents Claim Responsibility for New Attack in Red Sea

The Houthis took advantage of Israel's war on Gaza to mobilize more recruits and raise money (AFP)
The Houthis took advantage of Israel's war on Gaza to mobilize more recruits and raise money (AFP)
TT

Yemeni Insurgents Claim Responsibility for New Attack in Red Sea

The Houthis took advantage of Israel's war on Gaza to mobilize more recruits and raise money (AFP)
The Houthis took advantage of Israel's war on Gaza to mobilize more recruits and raise money (AFP)

The Iran-backed Houthis said they have targeted a container ship in the Red Sea without recording any damage, a move confirmed by Western sources.

The incident coincides with the UN Security Council preparing for a session to discuss the threats to navigation in the Red Sea.

Western politicians responded firmly, hinting at potential countermeasures to stop these threats.

Houthi spokesman Yahya Sarea announced in a televised speech the attack, saying the group "targeted" the CMA CGM Tage container ship without elaborating, claiming that it was heading to the ports of occupied Palestine. The shipping firm denied the allegations.

Sarea indicated that the Houthis had sent out warning messages to the ship and that its crew had paid no heed. He warned Washington of any aggression against it, saying, "no US attack will pass without a response or punishment."

The spokesman reiterated the Houthis maintain that they will persist in their attacks until aid enters Gaza.

According to US Navy data, this marks the 25th Houthi attack against international shipping in the Red Sea, amid fears of the expansion of the conflict in Gaza, especially with Iran deploying two warships to the region.

- Attack fails to cause damage

Western sources confirmed the latest Houthi attack.

US Central Command reported late Tuesday evening that the Houthis fired two anti-ship ballistic missiles in the southern Red Sea, but no damage was recorded.

The Central Command added that multiple commercial ships in the area reported the impact of the anti-ship ballistic missiles into the surrounding water.

United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said it received reports of up to three explosions 1-5nm from a merchant vessel in the Bab el-Mandab East of Assab, Eritrea.

UKMTO indicated that authorities are still investigating the incident.

Meanwhile, the French shipping firm CMA CGM reported that the vessel was unharmed and had suffered no incident.

The company told Reuters the ship had been headed for Egypt, not Israel.

- Houthi insistence and Western threats

The Houthi attacks sparked Yemeni and international outrage, as Western countries vowed to confront this escalation.

Washington formed a coalition called the Operation Prosperity Guardian to protect navigation in the Red Sea.

On Tuesday, the US State Department reported that Secretary of State Anthony Blinken discussed support for freedom of navigation and maritime security in the Red Sea with his British counterpart David Cameron.

State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said on the "X" platform that the two ministers also discussed improving the delivery of humanitarian aid to Gaza.

On Tuesday, Denmark's Maersk and German rival Hapag-Lloyd said their container ships would continue to avoid the Red Sea route that gives access to the Suez Canal following a weekend attack on one of Maersk's vessels.

Both shipping giants have been re-routing some sailings via Africa's southern Cape of Good Hope as Yemen-based Houthi militants attack cargo vessels in the Red Sea, according to Western sources.

The Suez Canal is used by roughly one-third of global container ship cargo. Redirecting ships around the southern tip of Africa is expected to cost up to $1 million in extra fuel for every round trip between Asia and northern Europe.

Concerns about the possible disruption to the Middle Eastern supply after the latest Red Sea attack drove oil prices higher in the first trading session 2024.

Despite Western warnings, the Houthi group remains determined in its attacks, with the Yemeni government alleging these actions serve Iran's agenda rather than supporting Palestine.

In his latest statements, Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, a cousin of the group's leader, vowed more attacks, saying the operations will escalate as long as the support for genocide and crimes against Palestinian people continues.

He added: "We have one red line, which is for the aggression to stop and for the siege imposed on the people of Gaza to be lifted."



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.