Israel Discusses Qatari Proposal to End Gaza War

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and his Israeli counterpart Yoav Galant in Tel Aviv on Tuesday (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and his Israeli counterpart Yoav Galant in Tel Aviv on Tuesday (Reuters)
TT

Israel Discusses Qatari Proposal to End Gaza War

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and his Israeli counterpart Yoav Galant in Tel Aviv on Tuesday (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and his Israeli counterpart Yoav Galant in Tel Aviv on Tuesday (Reuters)

Israel is considering a new Qatari proposal aimed at ending the war and withdrawing the Israeli army from the Gaza Strip in exchange for releasing all Israeli detainees and exiling Hamas leaders from the enclave.

Hamas did not immediately comment, but informed sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the movement would reject the proposal if it were true.

Israeli Channel 13 said on Wednesday that Qatar had presented a new proposal, according to which Hamas leaders would be exiled, all hostages would be gradually released, and the Israeli army would entirely withdraw from the Strip.

According to the channel, the Israeli war cabinet, which met late on Wednesday, discussed the proposal, which was revealed hours after White House Coordinator for MENA Brett McGurk met in Doha on Tuesday with Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani.

They discussed regional tensions and efforts to secure the release of detainees in Gaza, according to a US source and other informed sources.

Axios website noted that "Qatar is a key US ally in the region and is assisting the Biden administration with efforts to free the hostages held by Hamas."

According to the sources, Qatar, together with Egypt, is trying to mediate between Israel and Hamas on a new hostage deal, but away from the media.

The White House and the Qatari government kept the trip very low profile.

They didn't announce McGurk's visit or issue a readout of his meeting with the Qatari Prime Minister.

The White House didn't immediately respond to a request for comment, and the Qatari Embassy in Washington declined to comment.

Pushing efforts to release detainees came after previous failed attempts.

Negotiations resumed earlier this week after they were suspended over Israel's assassination of senior Hamas official Saleh al-Arouri in Beirut.

McGurk's trip followed a regional tour by Secretary of State Antony Blinken to discuss the war in Gaza and escalating tensions across the Middle East.

On Tuesday, Blinken met in Tel Aviv with the families of US detainees. He stressed in the meeting that returning all hostages to their families is a top priority for the administration, according to the families' statement.

"We're intensely focused on bringing the remaining hostages home," Blinken told reporters Tuesday.

He also discussed the hostage issue with the heads of the Mossad and Shin Bet spy agencies in Israel.

Following reports of the deal, the Hostages and Missing Families Forum demanded that the Israeli cabinet approve any deal that would lead to the release of their children alive.

The Forum stated that the reports about a new deal that will be presented to the cabinet offer a little hope to the families who are anxious about the fate of their loved ones.

The detainees "have been suffering in the Hamas tunnels for almost 100 days and nights without food, water, and life-saving medical treatment," the Forum said in a statement Wednesday.

"We demand that the war cabinet must not concern itself with anything other than the return of the hostages; we demand that they approve any deal that will lead to their immediate release alive!"

In a briefing Wednesday, war cabinet minister Benny Gantz stressed that the ongoing campaign's priority was the hostages' return.

"The most important thing is returning the hostages; it is prioritized over all fighting elements," he said.

"To the hostages, if you can hear me, I want you to know that we're doing everything we can to bring you back to your loved ones."

Hamas did not immediately comment on the reports, but a source close to the movement told Asharq Al-Awsat the alleged proposal would be rejected.

The source asserted that Hamas leaders would rather die than leave Gaza.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.