Israel Discusses Qatari Proposal to End Gaza War

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and his Israeli counterpart Yoav Galant in Tel Aviv on Tuesday (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and his Israeli counterpart Yoav Galant in Tel Aviv on Tuesday (Reuters)
TT

Israel Discusses Qatari Proposal to End Gaza War

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and his Israeli counterpart Yoav Galant in Tel Aviv on Tuesday (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and his Israeli counterpart Yoav Galant in Tel Aviv on Tuesday (Reuters)

Israel is considering a new Qatari proposal aimed at ending the war and withdrawing the Israeli army from the Gaza Strip in exchange for releasing all Israeli detainees and exiling Hamas leaders from the enclave.

Hamas did not immediately comment, but informed sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the movement would reject the proposal if it were true.

Israeli Channel 13 said on Wednesday that Qatar had presented a new proposal, according to which Hamas leaders would be exiled, all hostages would be gradually released, and the Israeli army would entirely withdraw from the Strip.

According to the channel, the Israeli war cabinet, which met late on Wednesday, discussed the proposal, which was revealed hours after White House Coordinator for MENA Brett McGurk met in Doha on Tuesday with Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani.

They discussed regional tensions and efforts to secure the release of detainees in Gaza, according to a US source and other informed sources.

Axios website noted that "Qatar is a key US ally in the region and is assisting the Biden administration with efforts to free the hostages held by Hamas."

According to the sources, Qatar, together with Egypt, is trying to mediate between Israel and Hamas on a new hostage deal, but away from the media.

The White House and the Qatari government kept the trip very low profile.

They didn't announce McGurk's visit or issue a readout of his meeting with the Qatari Prime Minister.

The White House didn't immediately respond to a request for comment, and the Qatari Embassy in Washington declined to comment.

Pushing efforts to release detainees came after previous failed attempts.

Negotiations resumed earlier this week after they were suspended over Israel's assassination of senior Hamas official Saleh al-Arouri in Beirut.

McGurk's trip followed a regional tour by Secretary of State Antony Blinken to discuss the war in Gaza and escalating tensions across the Middle East.

On Tuesday, Blinken met in Tel Aviv with the families of US detainees. He stressed in the meeting that returning all hostages to their families is a top priority for the administration, according to the families' statement.

"We're intensely focused on bringing the remaining hostages home," Blinken told reporters Tuesday.

He also discussed the hostage issue with the heads of the Mossad and Shin Bet spy agencies in Israel.

Following reports of the deal, the Hostages and Missing Families Forum demanded that the Israeli cabinet approve any deal that would lead to the release of their children alive.

The Forum stated that the reports about a new deal that will be presented to the cabinet offer a little hope to the families who are anxious about the fate of their loved ones.

The detainees "have been suffering in the Hamas tunnels for almost 100 days and nights without food, water, and life-saving medical treatment," the Forum said in a statement Wednesday.

"We demand that the war cabinet must not concern itself with anything other than the return of the hostages; we demand that they approve any deal that will lead to their immediate release alive!"

In a briefing Wednesday, war cabinet minister Benny Gantz stressed that the ongoing campaign's priority was the hostages' return.

"The most important thing is returning the hostages; it is prioritized over all fighting elements," he said.

"To the hostages, if you can hear me, I want you to know that we're doing everything we can to bring you back to your loved ones."

Hamas did not immediately comment on the reports, but a source close to the movement told Asharq Al-Awsat the alleged proposal would be rejected.

The source asserted that Hamas leaders would rather die than leave Gaza.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.