Blinken Says He Mourns ‘Gut-Wrenching’ Scenes in Gaza 

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken gestures during his speech at the Annual Meeting of World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024. (AP)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken gestures during his speech at the Annual Meeting of World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024. (AP)
TT

Blinken Says He Mourns ‘Gut-Wrenching’ Scenes in Gaza 

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken gestures during his speech at the Annual Meeting of World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024. (AP)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken gestures during his speech at the Annual Meeting of World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024. (AP)

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken told business and political leaders in Davos on Wednesday he could not think of a time in his career when there had been more global challenges, ranging from war in Gaza and Ukraine to tensions over Taiwan.

Blinken said that almost none of the problems that US President Joe Biden's administration wanted to address could be tackled in isolation, echoing comments on Tuesday by Chinese Premier Li Qiang, who called for greater global cooperation.

Describing the conflict in Gaza as "gut-wrenching", Blinken said what was needed to resolve the situation was a Palestinian state with a government structure "that gives people what they want and works with Israel to be effective".

"The suffering breaks my heart," he said during a keynote session at the World Economic Forum in the Swiss ski resort of Davos, adding: "The question is what is to be done."

The US Secretary of State said that Washington was hearing from virtually every country in the Middle East that they wanted the United States to be at the table in discussions over how to bring about an end to Israel's war with Hamas militants in Gaza.

And he said Washington was also in demand elsewhere.

"There is a greater premium than ever on a US partnership," Blinken told the WEF panel audience.

The war in Gaza started when Hamas militants stormed into southern Israel on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 people and taking 240 hostages. Israel says more than 130 remain in captivity.

Israel responded to Hamas' assault with a siege, bombardment and ground invasion of Gaza that have devastated the tiny coastal territory and killed more than 24,000 people, according to Gaza health officials.

NO IMMEDIATE PROSPECT SEEN FOR UKRAINE CEASEFIRE

Asked if there was any immediate prospect of a ceasefire in the war between Russia and Ukraine, Blinken was said he did not think there was, although the US was always open to one.

He said that in terms of money and resources needed to pay for Ukraine's reconstruction after nearly two years of conflict, the private sector was visiting the country and that the process was "taking on a life of its own".

After Chinese Premier Li's comments on China being open to foreign investment on Tuesday, Blinken said the United States was dealing "very directly and clearly" with Beijing on businesses and while there were differences between the two, there were also "places to cooperate more".

Asked about tensions over Taiwan, where the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) won the presidential election on Saturday, Blinken highlighted the importance of the Taiwan Strait and said the island had an outsized place in the world.

He said that everyone had the same interests, particularly given Taiwan's role in producing semi-conductor chips.

Summing up the challenges the United States was facing around the world, Blinken drew on the words of British wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

"When it comes to the hard things ... when you are going through hell, keep going," Blinken said.



US Calls on Sudan Parties to Immediately Accept Humanitarian Truce

US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)
US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)
TT

US Calls on Sudan Parties to Immediately Accept Humanitarian Truce

US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)
US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)

US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos revealed on Friday that the US had called on all Sudanese parties to immediately and unconditionally accept a humanitarian truce backed by the United Nations mechanism.

Boulos took part in several diplomatic meetings on the sidelines of a UN Security Council meeting on Sudan.

The US calls on all parties to accept the truce so that lifesaving aid can be delivered to civilians and so that dialogue can kick off, he stressed.

He said the US continues to work with its partners towards achieving fair and permanent peace in Sudan. He underlined their commitment to holding those responsible for genocide in Sudan to account.

They also back the trusted transition towards civilian rule, he added.

The Sudanese people deserve to live in security, dignity and without fear, Boulos said.

He joined other world leaders at the Security Council “to address the dire crisis in Sudan and the urgent need to end more than 1,000 days of needless conflict,” he wrote on X.

“The Council delivered a clear and unified message: there is no military solution to this conflict, and the time to end the fighting is now,” he added.

“The suffering of the Sudanese people has been devastating — with widespread displacement, food insecurity, and atrocities that demand both global attention and action. I reaffirmed that achieving durable peace in Sudan remains a priority for US President Donald Trump and underscored America’s commitment to helping bring this war to an end,” Boulos stated.

He outlined “five key pillars for international alignment: an immediate humanitarian truce; sustained humanitarian access and protection of civilians; a permanent ceasefire and credible security arrangements; an inclusive, civilian-led political transition; and a long-term path toward recovery and reconstruction that restores stability and opportunity for the Sudanese people.”

“The United States will continue working closely with allies and partners, including our Quad partners, the UK, and others to press for a humanitarian truce and expand life-saving assistance,” he vowed.

“We will also continue holding accountable those responsible for atrocities, even as we push urgently for the peace the Sudanese people deserve,” he declared.


Somalia Moves to Contain Public Criticism Over Türkiye Ties

Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)
Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)
TT

Somalia Moves to Contain Public Criticism Over Türkiye Ties

Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)
Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)

Growing cooperation between Mogadishu and Ankara has drawn domestic criticism in Somalia over what some describe as a “one-sided benefit” for Türkiye, prompting Somali authorities to stress that the country’s sovereignty and the rights of its people remain unaffected.

The official denial issued on Friday comes amid tensions between the government and the opposition ahead of pivotal elections later this year.

A Somali affairs expert told Asharq Al-Awsat the move was aimed at containing any potential crisis with Türkiye, which he described as a strategic ally that Mogadishu needs.

He said Ankara was likely to understand the situation and continue its presence in Somalia, given its strategic interests in the Horn of Africa.

Cooperation between Mogadishu and Ankara has appeared more active against the backdrop of the Somali government’s internal disputes with the opposition and following Israel’s recognition of the breakaway region of Somaliland in December.

Somali denial

The Somali National News Agency reported on Friday, citing official sources, that “some social media accounts circulated claims alleging that the Turkish government is unilaterally benefiting from Somalia’s natural and energy resources, particularly the oil sector.”

It added that “these allegations are baseless and fall within disinformation campaigns aimed at distorting facts and undermining the existing cooperation between the two countries.”

Official Somali sources clarified that the joint agreement signed between Turkish Petroleum Corporation (TPAO) and the Somali Petroleum Authority explicitly stipulates that natural resources belong to the Somali people, and that exploration and production operations are conducted in accordance with national legal frameworks and in a manner that safeguards the state’s sovereign interests.

Officials from both the Somali and Turkish sides also stressed that the energy partnership is based on transparency, mutual respect and the preservation of Somalia’s sovereignty.

The remarks come amid a political crisis between the government and the opposition ahead of direct elections this year, a key point of contention.

Less than a week ago, the vessel “Cagri Bey” departed from Türkiye for Somalia, where it will begin offshore oil exploration as part of the implementation of economic and defense cooperation agreements signed by the two governments, the agency reported on Feb. 15.

Somali political analyst Abdulweli Beri said criticism portraying the trajectory of relations between Mogadishu and Ankara as “one-sided” is “not entirely new, but has intensified now for several political and economic reasons.”

He noted that agreements related to oil, gas and minerals are always highly sensitive in any developing country because they concern sovereignty and future wealth. “In the Somali case, any perception that an external party may obtain a large share or long-term privileges automatically raises concerns among elites and the opposition,” he said.

Political polarization

The current debate, Beri said, comes amid political polarization ahead of the elections. “The opposition tends to scrutinize any strategic agreements concluded by the government, which remains more vulnerable to criticism. In the absence of full clarity on some details, this information gap is often filled by political narratives or public concerns.”

He said the official Somali clarifications were intended to contain the accusations and prevent them from affecting cooperation projects, given the need for a strategic alliance with Türkiye.

The statements come amid growing bilateral ties between Somalia and Türkiye, spanning infrastructure, social services, security and investment, within a framework of partnership between two independent states linked by close friendship and cooperation, the Somali National News Agency reported on Friday.

Expanding partnership

Turkish-Somali cooperation is not limited to the energy sector. On Feb. 18, Interior Security Minister Gen. Abdullahi Sheikh Ismail received military equipment for the national police from the Turkish ambassador to Somalia, according to the agency.

On Feb. 10, the Somali Communications Authority signed a memorandum of understanding with Türkiye’s Information and Communication Technologies Authority to enhance cooperation in the field of electronic communications, the same source said.

On Jan. 28, Somalia and Türkiye marked the 60th anniversary of diplomatic relations at a ceremony organized by the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Somalia in Ankara, the Turkish capital.

Beri said Somalia would remain keen to preserve and continue this cooperation and to provide ongoing clarifications, though they should be more detailed to dispel the accusations. He added that Ankara was likely to understand this and maintain its presence in Somalia, viewing it as strategic to its interests in the Horn of Africa.

 


Board of Peace Pledges on Gaza Face Test of Implementation on the Ground

Palestinians gather between destroyed houses to break their fast together during the holy month of Ramadan in the northern Gaza Strip, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
Palestinians gather between destroyed houses to break their fast together during the holy month of Ramadan in the northern Gaza Strip, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Board of Peace Pledges on Gaza Face Test of Implementation on the Ground

Palestinians gather between destroyed houses to break their fast together during the holy month of Ramadan in the northern Gaza Strip, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
Palestinians gather between destroyed houses to break their fast together during the holy month of Ramadan in the northern Gaza Strip, 20 February 2026. (EPA)

The first meeting of the Board of Peace, chaired by US President Donald Trump and attended by Arab and Israeli representatives in the absence of the Palestinian Authority, set out ambitious goals but left key issues unresolved.

Washington distilled its priorities into two tracks: funding the reconstruction of Gaza and disarming Hamas. Arab participants, however, tied their demands to full implementation of the Gaza ceasefire, deployment of an international stabilization force, and enabling the technocrats’ committee to operate across the enclave without obstruction from Tel Aviv.

The meeting, which drew representatives from more than 40 countries and observers from 12 others, may struggle to translate pledges into practice, experts told Asharq Al-Awsat.

They pointed to formidable hurdles, foremost Israel’s continued deployment in Gaza and the absence of clear understandings on Hamas disarmament, warning that these issues could stall or even freeze the agreement.

Concerns

Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto urged caution against efforts that could derail the peace process in Gaza, Germany’s dpa news agency reported, citing Indonesia’s Antara News on Friday.

Trump announced that the United States would contribute $10 billion to the board, saying Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, the United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, Uzbekistan, and Kuwait had pledged more than $7 billion to the Gaza relief package.

He pressed hard on Hamas disarmament, saying the group would hand over its weapons as promised and warning of a harsh response if it did not.

Israel’s Foreign Minister Gideon Saar struck the same note in his address to the board, voicing support for disarming Hamas and other factions. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had already set the tone ahead of the meeting, declaring that there would be no reconstruction before Gaza is disarmed.

General Jasper Jeffers, commander of the newly formed International Stabilization Force, said Indonesia, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, and Albania had pledged troops. Egypt and Jordan, which border Gaza, agreed to train police and security forces.

Egypt, in remarks delivered by Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly, underscored the need to preserve the link between the West Bank and Gaza to allow the Palestinian Authority to resume its responsibilities in the enclave.

He called for empowering Palestinians to manage their own affairs and for the technocrats’ committee to begin work from inside Gaza and across all its areas.

Qatar’s Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani pledged $1 billion from Doha to back the board’s push for a final settlement, saying the Board of Peace under Trump’s leadership would drive full implementation of the 20-point plan without delay.

Saeed Okasha, an Israeli affairs analyst at the Al-Ahram Center for Political and Strategic Studies, said the proposals unveiled by the Board of Peace lack operational clarity and risk creating confusion in implementation, potentially leading to paralysis.

Trump, he said, rushed to launch the board without first resolving core obstacles or forging solid understandings.

Palestinian political analyst Nizar Nazzal shared that view, arguing that the board’s pledges could falter because they emphasize economic measures, such as reconstruction funding, without a clear roadmap, and security measures, such as disarming Hamas, without addressing Israeli withdrawal or the group’s future.

“This sidestepping of political commitments will collide with security complexities and delay implementation of contentious provisions such as deploying stabilization forces, Israeli withdrawal, or empowering the technocrats’ committee,” he said.

Hamas

Hamas, for its part, has avoided direct confrontation with Trump’s recent calls for its disarmament. In a statement on Thursday, it said any arrangements in Gaza must begin with a “complete halt to the Israeli aggression.”

In another statement later that evening, the group said any political track or arrangements discussed regarding the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with a complete cessation of the aggression, lifting the siege, and guaranteeing our people’s legitimate national rights, foremost among them the right to freedom and self-determination.

US mediator Bishara Bahbah said on Thursday that Hamas disarmament hinges on guarantees and protection for its members.

Okasha said an end to the offensive in Gaza, as Hamas demands, is unlikely so long as disarmament remains unresolved, pointing to US and Israeli statements.

The course Hamas appears to be charting, he said, suggests it wants to remain in place, a stance that could block implementation of the agreement and even pave the way for a return to war, especially as Washington has yet to clarify the mandate and timeline for deploying the stabilization force.

Nazzal said negotiating with Hamas over ending its existence is unrealistic. Its future must be addressed through serious, genuine understandings rather than a continuation of transactional trade-offs, he said.