Sudan’s Foreign Ministry Calls on UN to Criminalize Dealing with RSF

Commander of the Sudanese Rapid Support Forces, Mohamed Dagalo, shakes hands with UN envoy Ramtane Lamamra on Thursday in Uganda (Dagalo's X account)
Commander of the Sudanese Rapid Support Forces, Mohamed Dagalo, shakes hands with UN envoy Ramtane Lamamra on Thursday in Uganda (Dagalo's X account)
TT

Sudan’s Foreign Ministry Calls on UN to Criminalize Dealing with RSF

Commander of the Sudanese Rapid Support Forces, Mohamed Dagalo, shakes hands with UN envoy Ramtane Lamamra on Thursday in Uganda (Dagalo's X account)
Commander of the Sudanese Rapid Support Forces, Mohamed Dagalo, shakes hands with UN envoy Ramtane Lamamra on Thursday in Uganda (Dagalo's X account)

 The Sudanese Foreign Ministry has urged the international community to criminalize dealing with the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), led by Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, and to designate the “militia” group as "terrorist."

The Ministry said in a statement that it followed with interest the latest report of the UN observers on the implementation of Security Council Resolution 1591 regarding Darfur and the war waged by the rebel militia, referring to the RSF and its supporters against the Sudanese people.

It quoted the UN report as saying that the number of "between 10,000 and 15,000 people were killed in one city in Sudan's West Darfur region last year in ethnic violence," including women, children, and the elderly.

It considered that the continued supply of advanced weapons provided and facilitated by specific countries, named by the UN observers, and arriving on flights several times a week, in violation of the relevant Security Council resolutions, enabled the rebel militia to expand its military operations and commit atrocities against civilians.

The Ministry also called on the Security Council to assume its responsibility towards the countries that fuel the war in Sudan by providing the militia with weapons and political and media support, saying they should be considered perpetrators of the aggression punishable by international criminal justice.

A report issued by the UN experts accused the RSF group of using large-scale proceeds from gold mining to fund its devastating war against the nation's army.

The report prepared by United Nations investigators and published by Bloomberg on Sunday claimed that Rapid Support receives supplies from a regional country via Chad.

"Violence by the RSF and allied militias may have killed as many as 15,000 people in one city in the Darfur region in 2023," said the UN report, a figure exceeding the UN's previous toll for the nine-month conflict.

The report traced the root of the RSF to the "Janjaweed militias" formed by the Sudanese government under former President Omar al-Bashir to crush a rebellion in Darfur.

The UN experts believe the group benefited from a complex web of financing and new military supply lines across eastern Chad, Libya, and South Sudan and now controls most of Darffur.

The experts said financial networks set up by the RSF before and during the conflict enabled it to acquire weapons, fund media campaigns, pay salaries, and buy backing from political and armed groups.

The experts also noted in their report that since July, the RSF deployed heavy and advanced weapons, including "drones, howitzers, multiple-rocket launchers and anti-aircraft weapons such as MANPADS.

They added, "The new firepower had a major impact on the balance of forces in Darfur and the wider country."

Meanwhile, a landmine killed ten civilians in the Nile River state of North Sudan.

A medical source at a hospital in Shendi city in River Nile state told AFP that "10 civilians were killed as a result of a mine explosion on a bus" on Saturday.

When the blast happened, the bus was transporting passengers from al-Jazira state to Shendi.

It is believed to be the first incident since the outbreak of battles between the army and the RSF in the country.

According to social media activists last week, the Sudanese army warned the Shendi residents to be careful and avoid areas with barricades that include highly sensitive landmines equipped with long-range explosives.

However, the army has not issued an official statement in this regard.

The conflict in Sudan caused the displacement of about 7.5 million people inside and outside the country, according to the UN.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.