Israeli Ministers Join Thousands at Rally for Gaza Settlement

Damaged houses lie in ruin in Gaza, amid the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel on January 24, 2024. © Amir Cohen, Reuters
Damaged houses lie in ruin in Gaza, amid the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel on January 24, 2024. © Amir Cohen, Reuters
TT

Israeli Ministers Join Thousands at Rally for Gaza Settlement

Damaged houses lie in ruin in Gaza, amid the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel on January 24, 2024. © Amir Cohen, Reuters
Damaged houses lie in ruin in Gaza, amid the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel on January 24, 2024. © Amir Cohen, Reuters

Thousands of Israelis, including far-right ministers and allies of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, gathered in Jerusalem on Sunday to call for the re-establishment of Jewish settlements in the Gaza Strip.

Netanyahu in official statements has rejected resettlement in the Palestinian territory, where Israeli forces battle Hamas militants, but the rally shows that the once-fringe position has gained momentum within his hard-right government.

"If we don't want another October 7, we need to... control the territory," said National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, alluding to the deadly Hamas attack that sparked the war, now in its fourth month.

The firebrand politician said Israel should "encourage voluntary emigration" of Palestinians from Gaza, echoing past remarks that drew sharp rebuke from close ally the United States and the wider international community.

Several participants carried guns, while outside the convention center vendors sold t-shirts that read: "Gaza is part of the land of Israel."

Speakers at the rally, attended by members of Netanyahu's party and several other ministers, exhorted the premier to make their contentious dream a reality.

Some advocated the deportation of Gaza's Palestinians and declared that settlements were the only way to ensure security for Israelis.

"The Oslo Accords are dead, the people of Israel live," chanted the crowd, referring to the landmark Israeli-Palestinian agreements of the 1990s that gave Palestinians limited self-rule, AFP reported.

Sunday's rally aimed at pressuring the government to "return to the Gaza Strip and establish communities right away", said settler leader Daniella Weiss.

"The Arabs will not stay in Gaza," she claimed, "not Hamas, not the supporters of Hamas, and those who do not support Hamas don't want to stay anyway."

Israel seized the Gaza Strip in 1967, during a war that also saw it capturing the West Bank and east Jerusalem.

Over 400,000 Israelis now live in settlements in the occupied West Bank, deemed illegal under international law, alongside around three million Palestinians.

Israel unilaterally withdrew its troops and settlers from Gaza in 2005.

The Hamas-ruled territory is home to around 2.4 million Palestinians, the vast majority of whom have been displaced by Israel's blistering air, land and sea offensive since October 7.

The Israeli military campaign, according to the Gaza health ministry, has killed at least 26,422 people, most of them women and children.

The October 7 attack that triggered it resulted in the deaths of around 1,140 people in Israel, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.

The Palestinians seek a future independent state in the West Bank, Gaza and Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem.

Earlier in January, Netanyahu said he would "not compromise on full Israeli security control over all of the territory west of the Jordan (river) -- and that is in opposition to a Palestinian state."

He has, however, said Israeli resettlement of Gaza was "not a realistic target".

Netanyahu's government, the most religious and ultranationalist in Israel's 75-year history, has prioritised West Bank settlement expansion since it took office in late 2022.

A growing chorus of Netanyahu's coalition partners are calling for renewed Israeli settlement of Gaza, in defiance of US President Joe Biden's administration.

The State Department in early January said: "Gaza is Palestinian land and will remain Palestinian land".



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.