Israel Rescues Two Hostages as Fear Grows of Rafah Ground Battles

Smoke billows during Israeli bombardment over Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on February 12, 2024 amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Hamas militant group. (AFP)
Smoke billows during Israeli bombardment over Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on February 12, 2024 amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Hamas militant group. (AFP)
TT

Israel Rescues Two Hostages as Fear Grows of Rafah Ground Battles

Smoke billows during Israeli bombardment over Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on February 12, 2024 amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Hamas militant group. (AFP)
Smoke billows during Israeli bombardment over Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on February 12, 2024 amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Hamas militant group. (AFP)

Israelis welcomed the rescue Monday of two hostages from war-ravaged Gaza, but fears of a looming ground incursion grew among more than a million Palestinians trapped in the territory's densely crowded far south.

With a dramatic overnight raid in Rafah city, Israeli special forces freed two captives in a rare rescue mission. They had been held by Hamas militants since the October 7 attack that triggered the war.

Fernando Simon Marman, 60, and Luis Har, 70, were freed amid an intense firefight and heavy airstrikes, then airlifted to a hospital where they were declared in good health.

The overnight bombing in Rafah killed around 100 people including children, said the health ministry of the Hamas-run Gaza Strip.

The Palestinian foreign ministry condemned what it called a "massacre" and accused Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of "a mentality of revenge".  

Netanyahu hailed the operation and said that only "continued military pressure, until complete victory, will result in the release of all our hostages".  

Har's son-in-law Idan Bejerano praised the rescue of the Argentinian-Israeli men and described an emotional reunion in a hospital near Tel Aviv as "a lot of tears, hugs, not many words".  

The bloodiest ever Gaza war began when Hamas launched an unprecedented attack on southern Israel on October 7 that resulted in the deaths of about 1,160 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.  

Militants also seized about 250 Israeli and foreign captives, around 130 of whom are still believed to be held in Gaza, although Israel presumes 29 of them are dead.

Vowing to destroy Hamas in response, Israel has carried out a relentless bombardment and ground offensive in Gaza that the Hamas-ruled territory's health ministry says has killed at least 28,340 people, mostly women and children.

In Rafah, local Palestinian residents surveyed the large bomb craters and rubble left after the intense battle.

One man walked with a pile of salvaged religious books from a bomb-damaged mosque.

Another, 28-year-old Abu Suhhaib, said the fighting had made him feel "as if hell had opened".  

Pre-dawn hostage rescue  

Weeks of talks towards a new ceasefire and hostage release deal have brought no results yet, and Netanyahu has vowed to send ground troops into Rafah where about 1.4 million displaced Palestinians are living in shelters and tent camps.  

They are hemmed into an area near the Egyptian border as the battlefront moves ever closer from the north.

Aid groups and foreign governments -- including Israel's key ally the United States -- have voiced deep concern over the potentially disastrous consequences of expanding operations in Rafah.  

The operation there to free the hostages, after nearly 130 days in captivity, was a joint operation between the army, police and Shin Bet security service, the Israeli military said.  

A spokesperson from Netanyahu's office said Israeli forces had blown open a locked door on the second floor of a building in Rafah, and "successfully rescued the abductees".  

Troops then came under fire from multiple buildings "and a prolonged battle took place, during which dozens of Hamas targets were attacked from the air in order to allow the force to leave the building", the spokesperson said.  

Army spokesman Daniel Hagari said "many terrorists" had been killed.

But the support group Hostages and Missing Families Forum warned that "time is running out for the remaining hostages held captive by Hamas" and urged the Israeli government to "exhaust every option on the table to release them".

Dozens of hostages were freed by Hamas during a one-week truce in November that also saw the release of 240 Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails.

Hamas's military wing heightened fears among families when it said Sunday that two hostages had been killed and eight wounded in recent Israeli bombardment, a claim AFP was unable to independently verify.

'Stop and think'

United States President Joe Biden last week called Israel's military response in Gaza "over the top", which on Monday prompted European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell to say: "Maybe you should provide less arms in order to prevent so many people" being killed.

Washington provides Israel with billions of dollars in military aid.

British Foreign Secretary David Cameron urged Israel to "stop and think seriously before it takes any further action" in Gaza.  

Volker Turk, the UN's human rights chief, warned that "an extremely high number of civilians" would likely be killed or injured in a full Israeli incursion into Rafah.  

Netanyahu has said Israel would provide "safe passage" to civilians trying to leave Rafah.  

The EU's Borrell, like Gazans themselves, wondered where they can go.  

"They are going to evacuate -- where? To the moon?" Borrell said.  

Iman Dergham, displaced from Khan Younis city to Rafah, said that "wherever we go there's bombing. Martyrs and wounded are everywhere."  

Another resident, Ibrahim Abu Jaber, survived the bombing on Monday but asked: "What if the actual invasion took place?" He fears "the martyrs will be in the thousands."  

Renewed talks for a pause in the fighting have been held in Cairo, with Hamas open to a fresh ceasefire including more prisoner-hostage exchanges, but Netanyahu has dismissed some of the group's demands as "bizarre".  

A Hamas leader told AFP on condition of anonymity that an Israeli push into Rafah "would torpedo the exchange negotiations".  

The Israeli army said Monday that two more soldiers had been killed inside Gaza, bringing the military death toll to 229 since ground operations began in late October.  

Hamas's armed wing said it had "finished off" 10 soldiers in Khan Younis, the southern Gaza city several kilometers (miles) from Rafah, where heavy fighting has occurred.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.