Yemen’s Houthis Officially Back on US Terror Lists

A photo released by the US Central Command about the operation to seize a ship said to be carrying Iranian weapons destined for the Houthi group in Yemen (AFP)
A photo released by the US Central Command about the operation to seize a ship said to be carrying Iranian weapons destined for the Houthi group in Yemen (AFP)
TT

Yemen’s Houthis Officially Back on US Terror Lists

A photo released by the US Central Command about the operation to seize a ship said to be carrying Iranian weapons destined for the Houthi group in Yemen (AFP)
A photo released by the US Central Command about the operation to seize a ship said to be carrying Iranian weapons destined for the Houthi group in Yemen (AFP)

The Biden administration’s decision to reclassify the Houthi group in Yemen as a terrorist organization took effect on Friday.

This move followed a month-long deadline for the group to stop attacks against navigation in the Red Sea region and return to Yemen’s political process.

On January 17, the US State Department officially designated the Houthi movement as a global terrorist organization. This freezes any assets they have in the US and cuts off their funding sources.

The decision isn’t likely to change how the Houthis act, as it's different from what former President Donald Trump’s administration did. It may not affect their military strength or ties with Iran, sparking questions about the designation’s real impact on the group and the situation in Yemen and beyond.

Former US ambassador to Yemen, Gerald Feierstein, reaffirmed that the new classification will limit the group’s funding and travel outside Yemen. It will also restrict providing any material support to them.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Feierstein mentioned that supplying weapons, training, and aid to the Houthis is already banned, so the classification won’t impact their military strength much.

According to the former ambassador, Trump's broad classification of the Houthis as a terrorist organization had a bigger impact than Biden’s approach. Trump’s move made it harder to provide humanitarian aid and conduct essential trade in Yemen, affecting civilians.

Biden’s current classification aims to avoid these problems and still allow aid, trade, and negotiations.

Feierstein also mentioned that the Biden administration delayed the decision for 30 days, hoping it would push the Houthis to stop attacking international ships in the Red Sea.

If they stop, the designation will be lifted. The Houthis were already aware of this timeline, stressed the former diplomat.

Since last month, the US and UK, as part of a multinational coalition mounting a military campaign called Operation Prosperity Guardian, have been responding to Houthi attacks with airstrikes and missile strikes.

Maritime patrols have also been deployed to protect ships passing through the Red Sea.

Other countries like China and India have joined in by conducting patrols to safeguard their vessels.

The Houthi attacks have increased insurance costs for shipping companies, prompting many to avoid this vital route, which handles 12% of global maritime trade.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.