Lebanon: Crisis of Syrian Refugees Back to Forefront

Lebanon’s caretaker Interior Minister Bassam Mawlawi. (AP)
Lebanon’s caretaker Interior Minister Bassam Mawlawi. (AP)
TT

Lebanon: Crisis of Syrian Refugees Back to Forefront

Lebanon’s caretaker Interior Minister Bassam Mawlawi. (AP)
Lebanon’s caretaker Interior Minister Bassam Mawlawi. (AP)

The kidnapping crime and killing of a political official from the Lebanese Forces party in the Jbeil area earlier this week, brought back to the forefront the crisis of Syrian refugees and their expanding presence in Lebanon.
The Central Security Council held an emergency meeting on Wednesday headed by caretaker Minister of Interior and Municipalities Bassem Mawlawi, in the presence of the Public Prosecutor Judge Jamal el-Hajjar, and security agency leaders.
Mawlawi stressed in a statement that the “Syrian presence in Lebanon can no longer be tolerated and is unacceptable. We see that many crimes are being committed by Syrians.
"We emphasized to the security forces the necessity of strict enforcement of Lebanese laws on Syrian refugees," added Mawlawi revealing that "the percentage of Syrian detainees in Lebanese prisons has reached approximately 35 percent”.
Warnings against Exploiting the Crime for Incitement against Refugees
However, some warn against the haphazard exploitation of the refugee crisis to incite hatred.
Ziyad Al-Sayegh, a researcher in public policies, refugee affairs, and migration, believes that "the displacement crisis cannot continue without radical intervention, meaning that we need to deeply consider facilitating their return to their homeland in stages”.
He explained that "most of the Syrian refugees in Lebanon are loyal to the Syrian regime, and they are in Lebanon for economic reasons rather than security ones, so they have lost their refugee status."
In remarks to Asharq al-Awsat, Sayegh warned against “exploiting the kidnapping and murder of Pascal Sleiman (a coordinator in the Jbeil area north of Beirut for the Lebanese Forces) to stir public opinion in Lebanon, especially among Christians, against refugees. This manipulation is undertaken by (Hezbollah) and its allies with the aim of creating a fundamental problem, which is to divert attention from its kidnapping of the state and seizing its decision-making power”.
Sayegh: The Country Must Not Be Plunged into a Bloodbath
The return of refugees to their homeland is a priority for the majority of Lebanese people, but there is also a great fear of internal strife created by unacceptable reactions towards them.
"The issue of displacement must be addressed with high responsibility, not by plunging the country into a bloodbath, nor by resorting to the self-security that Hezbollah desires”, said Sayegh.
Anti-Syrian sentiment has soared following the Sunday disappearance and death of Pascal Sleiman, of the LF, a Christian party opposed to the Syrian government and its Lebanese ally Hezbollah.
Ramzi Kaiss, Lebanese researcher at Human Rights Watch stressed in telephone remarks with AFP on Tuesday the necessity for “"comprehensive and transparent” investigations.
He added: "Attempting to make refugees as scapegoats threatens to fuel ongoing violence against Syrians who have been subjected to heinous discriminatory practices and rights violations in Lebanon for years”.
Ahdab: No, to Involving the Lebanese in a Confrontation with the Refugees
Former MP Mosbah al-Ahdab said in a statement that some are trying to involve the Lebanese and Lebanon’s military institutions in a confrontation with over a million Syrian refugees residing in Lebanon.
He said the solution begins with Hezbollah’s withdrawal from the areas it occupies inside Syria, which would facilitate the return of over 200 thousand Syrian refugees.
“What is happening today is a recipe for reigniting a civil war, is it reasonable to repeat it?" he asked.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.