Alarming Resurgence of Cholera Cases in Houthi-Controlled Areas in Yemen

Thanks to the support of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief), WHO has made great strides in Yemen (UN)
Thanks to the support of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief), WHO has made great strides in Yemen (UN)
TT

Alarming Resurgence of Cholera Cases in Houthi-Controlled Areas in Yemen

Thanks to the support of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief), WHO has made great strides in Yemen (UN)
Thanks to the support of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief), WHO has made great strides in Yemen (UN)

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned of an alarming resurgence of cholera cases in Houthi-held territories in the north of Yemen, with the number of recorded cases nearing 100,000.

Meanwhile, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) forecasted a heightened risk of flooding during Yemen's rainy season, which runs until September.

In its Health Cluster Bulletin, WHO said the cholera outbreak continues in Yemen covering most of the country.

It said 112,583 suspected cholera cases have been reported in the Yemeni governorates since the beginning of this year.

Most cases were recorded in Houthi-controlled areas, accounting for 83% of the total cases compared to 17% in governorates under the internationally-recognized government.

As of July 6, 2024, the bulletin said 93,000 suspected cases have been reported in Houthi-controlled areas.

It noted that the Health Cluster, with coordination with the relevant authorities and partners, is coordinating a rapid response to the outbreak.

The Yemeni government, in cooperation with the UN, continues the fight against cholera and to open cholera treatment centers.

In return, the Houthis ban child vaccination campaigns, hide the number of cholera cases and deaths in the areas under their control, while the militias’ media outlets and mosques continue to warn against vaccines, describing them as Western conspiracies.

The lack of vaccination campaigns in Houthi-controlled areas have caused the resurgence of many diseases, including polio, years after Yemen was announced free of the pandemic.

Flooding Risks

A cholera outbreak in Houthi-controlled areas came while FAO warned of a heightened risk of flooding, especially in coastal and low-lying areas, in the coming weeks.

In its Agrometeorological Early Warning Bulletin, FAO said factors such as heavy rainfall, inadequate drainage systems, devegetation, and other environmental conditions can contribute to flash floods.

The resulting exposure of vulnerable agricultural resources further amplifies the threat to food security, the bulletin warned.

According to UN data, 6 million people were projected to be one step away from famine in Yemen due to the sharp decline in aid provided by donors, and the suspension, since the end of last year, of the food program that distributes aid in Houthi-controlled areas.

FAO said July, in particular, typically records significant rainfall across many areas of Yemen.

It said that with daily precipitation levels expected to rise, reaching cumulative values surpassing 200 mm in areas like Ibb governorate, the Central Highlands and parts of the Southern Uplands are poised to receive the heaviest rainfall in the upcoming period.

Additionally, the bulletin said areas such as Hadramaut governorate, which typically experience minimal rainfall, are predicted to receive substantial precipitation nearing 40 mm.

FAO showed that these meteorological projections, coupled with the hydro-topographical characteristics of low-lying and coastal watersheds, could result in the reemergence of flash floods, with varying probabilities across different areas.

Some areas in Yemen will experience temperatures exceeding 44 degrees Celsius, specifically, the northern areas of Hadramaut and Al Maharah governorates, as well as coastal spots in Lahj.

Also, temperatures around 40 degrees Celsius will be recorded in various locations along the Red Sea (such as Hodeidah and Hajjah), the Gulf of Aden (Lahj), and the inland areas of Shabwah, Marib, Al Jawf, Hadramaut, and Al Maharah.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."