WHO: 15 Gaza Children Going to Spain for Urgent Care

Palestinian boy Ahmed Qannan, who is suffering from malnutrition, is attended to at a healthcare center, in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, March 4, 2024. REUTERS/Mohammed Salem Purchase Licensing Rights
Palestinian boy Ahmed Qannan, who is suffering from malnutrition, is attended to at a healthcare center, in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, March 4, 2024. REUTERS/Mohammed Salem Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

WHO: 15 Gaza Children Going to Spain for Urgent Care

Palestinian boy Ahmed Qannan, who is suffering from malnutrition, is attended to at a healthcare center, in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, March 4, 2024. REUTERS/Mohammed Salem Purchase Licensing Rights
Palestinian boy Ahmed Qannan, who is suffering from malnutrition, is attended to at a healthcare center, in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, March 4, 2024. REUTERS/Mohammed Salem Purchase Licensing Rights

The World Health Organization said Wednesday that 15 children and one adult from war-ravaged Gaza were travelling from Egypt to Spain to receive care for complicated medical conditions.

The children were aged three to 17, and the mother of one of the children was also due to receive treatment in Spain, the UN health agency said, AFP reported.

“These very sick children will be getting the care they need thanks to cooperation between several partners and countries,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a statement.

The patients had been hospitalized in Egypt for several months after evacuating from Gaza, the WHO said, adding that they were among thousands of children and adults from Gaza in need to access specialized medical care outside of the Palestinian territory.

Hailing “the support and facilitation provided by Egypt and Spain,” Tedros urged “other countries who have the capacity and medical facilities to welcome people who, through no fault of their own, are caught in the grips of this war”.

The children, who were accompanied by 25 family members and other caregivers, had been in Egypt since before May 6, when the Rafah border crossing was closed, making evacuations all but impossible.

Only 23 people have been evacuated since then, via the nearby Kerem Shalom crossing, WHO said.

Since the war in Gaza erupted after Hamas’s deadly October 7 attack inside southern Israel, around 5,000 people have been evacuated for treatment outside the territory, with more than 80 percent receiving care in Egypt, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, it added.

Wednesday’s statement said that at least another 10,000 people were waiting for urgent medical evacuation from the Gaza Strip.

A top agency official suggested earlier this week that the number might have swelled to as many as 14,000.

The evacuated children “are just the tip of the iceberg,” Hanan Balkhy, WHO’s regional director for the Eastern Mediterranean, said in the statement.

The agency appealed for the establishment of multiple medical evacuation corridors from Gaza, including through Rafah and Kerem Shalom.

Of utmost urgency, it said, was “the restoration of medical evacuations from Gaza to the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, where hospitals are ready to receive patients”.

“Patients must also be facilitated to be transferred to Egypt and Jordan, and from there to other countries when needed.”

Tedros hailed the solidarity shown in this case as “a bright spot in a war that has had so many moments of tragedy”.

“The fact that severely ill people are receiving needed medical care should not be headline news, but routine global cooperation,” he said.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.