Sudanese Forces Welcome US Initiative to Stop War

 US Secretary of State Antony Blinken (AP)
 US Secretary of State Antony Blinken (AP)
TT

Sudanese Forces Welcome US Initiative to Stop War

 US Secretary of State Antony Blinken (AP)
 US Secretary of State Antony Blinken (AP)

Sudanese political and civil forces welcomed on Wednesday the new US initiative that invited the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) to participate in ceasefire talks next August 14.
The forces considered the move as an extension of the US administration's ongoing efforts to end the war in Sudan, but said its success depends on the pressure that Washington will exert on the warring parties.
RSF leader Mohammed Hamdan “Hemedti” Dagalo said on Wednesday morning that the paramilitary group will participate in the talks.
“I welcome the invitation announced by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and I declare our participation in the upcoming ceasefire talks on August 14, 2024, in Switzerland,” Hemedti wrote on X.
So far, there has been no official comment from the Sudanese Armed Forces on the invitation.
Hemedti said, “I appreciate the efforts exerted by the United States, Saudi Arabia, and Switzerland in organizing these crucial talks.”
He added, “We share with the international community the goal of achieving a comprehensive ceasefire across the country, facilitating humanitarian access to all those in need, and developing a robust monitoring and verification mechanism to ensure the implementation of any agreement reached.”
The Foreign Policy magazine quoted earlier five current and former officials familiar with the matter as affirming that the Biden administration is launching a new initiative to end the war in Sudan—one of the world's deadliest conflicts—with fresh peace talks following months of behind-the-scenes negotiations.
The talks will be led by Blinken and Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the US Ambassador to the United Nations. They will be co-hosted by Saudi Arabia and Switzerland.
According to Blinken, the talks will not address “broader political issues.” He said they aim “to achieve a nationwide cessation of violence, ensure humanitarian access for all those in need, and establish a robust monitoring and verification mechanism to oversee the implementation of any agreement.”
Sudan's warring parties were in Switzerland between July 10 and 20 for UN-led talks aimed at brokering possible local ceasefires to facilitate aid and protect civilians.
But the talks failed to reach a consensus on the delivery of humanitarian aid and the protection of civilians.
Meanwhile, the Coordination of Civil Democratic Forces “Taqaddum” welcomed on Wednesday the US invitation, and expressed hope that the initiative would result in an “urgent cessation of fighting, through serious engagement, and full commitment from all parties.”
Taqaddum spokesperson Bakri Al-Jack told Asharq Al-Awsat that the initiative is part of the mission of US envoy to Sudan, Tom Perriello, who has initiated talks with regional sides to solve the Sudanese crisis.
Al-Jack affirmed that any initiative that aims to accelerate the cessation of the war should be supported by peace-seekers in Sudan and the region.
He said Perriollo is insistently calling for the involvement of Egypt and the UAE in the talks, given the direct relationship of each side to the warring parties.
“The envoy has directed his efforts to coordinate and integrate the initiatives proposed in the Jeddah Platform, the African Union, and IGAD, and build on the Egyptian and Ethiopian efforts made in the past few days to solve the Sudanese file,” the spokesperson said.

 



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.