Lebanon Did Not Receive Warning from Israel, Hezbollah Dismisses Hochstein’s Visit

 French Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne meets with Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati in Beirut, Lebanon August 15, 2024. (Reuters)
French Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne meets with Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati in Beirut, Lebanon August 15, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

Lebanon Did Not Receive Warning from Israel, Hezbollah Dismisses Hochstein’s Visit

 French Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne meets with Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati in Beirut, Lebanon August 15, 2024. (Reuters)
French Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne meets with Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati in Beirut, Lebanon August 15, 2024. (Reuters)

France's Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne stressed on Thursday his country’s support for Lebanon, expressing appreciation for its "self-restraint in this difficult period" in the region. 

The FM kicked off on Thursday a visit to the region by meeting Lebanese caretaker Najib Mikati and parliament Speaker Nabih Berri in Beirut. 

He is scheduled to visit Tel Aviv, Amman and Cairo amid heightened tensions over Hezbollah and Iran’s threats to retaliate against Israel for the assassination of Hezbollah senior military commander Fuad Shukr in Beirut and Hamas politburo chief Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran last month. 

In Beirut, Sejourne told Mikati that France stands by Lebanon and it continues to support the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL). 

For his part, the PM said: "We can only be silent, patient and praying in this difficult period." 

He also stressed the importance of supporting the extension of UNIFIL’s term for another year. 

Meanwhile, Berri underscored to Sejourne Lebanon’s "commitment to the rules of engagement and its right to defend itself against Israeli hostilities that have not spared civilians, journalists and medics." 

He slammed Israel for using internationally prohibited weapons, such as white phosphorus munitions on agricultural fields. 

The speaker also underlined the need to extend UNIFIL’s term in line with UN Security Council resolutions 1701. 

Sejourne said France was focusing on easing the tensions in the region, which is a message he will relay to other countries during his tour. 

On UNIFIL, he confirmed that Paris was keen on extending its term for another year. 

The Security Council will meet at the end of the month to tackle the extension. 

Sejourne also met his Lebanese counterpart Abdallah Bou Habib, who revealed that Lebanon did not receive any messages or threats from Israel through the French FM or US special envoy Amos Hochstein, who was in Lebanon on Wednesday. 

Bou Habib said discussions with Hochstein culminated in an agreement to extend UNIFIL’s term for another year, noting that the US had initially wanted to extend it for six months. 

Qassem criticizes Hochstein 

Hochstein met with Mikati, Berri and army commander Joseph Aoun. 

He told officials that there was no time to waste to reach a ceasefire in Gaza, which would pave the way for a diplomatic solution that would end the escalation between Hezbollah and Israel. 

Meanwhile, Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem dismissed the envoy’s visit as "performative", adding that he didn’t offer Lebanon any specific proposals. 

The US wants to appear as if it is taking action, but as of yet, it hasn’t offered anything tangible, he revealed. 

He also reiterated that Hezbollah was determined to retaliate to Shukr’s assassination. 

Hezbollah vowed to "continue the brave and wise resistance with all the capabilities at its disposal in defense of Lebanon and its people, their freedom and safety and will to lead a dignified life." 

In a statement marking the 18th anniversary of the end of the 2006 Hezbollah-Israel war, it vowed to carry on with its operations "in spite of the Israeli threats, American aircraft carriers, assassinations and local and foreign media campaigns." 

"Lebanon will never again be occupied, and it will never be taken hostage by the enemy. It will never be open to normalizing ties [with Israel]," it declared. 



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.