Iraq Steers Clear of US Retaliation for Ain al-Asad Attack

A military trainer from the international coalition shakes hands with an Iraqi soldier in a training camp (CENTCOM file photo)
A military trainer from the international coalition shakes hands with an Iraqi soldier in a training camp (CENTCOM file photo)
TT

Iraq Steers Clear of US Retaliation for Ain al-Asad Attack

A military trainer from the international coalition shakes hands with an Iraqi soldier in a training camp (CENTCOM file photo)
A military trainer from the international coalition shakes hands with an Iraqi soldier in a training camp (CENTCOM file photo)

Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein stated that Iraq successfully used diplomatic channels to prevent a potential American response to the attack on the Ain al-Asad base, which hosts advisors from the US-led international coalition.

In an interview with Al-Hadath channel, Hussein confirmed that Baghdad had managed to stop Washington from retaliating against the attack on the base.

He also said that ongoing discussions between Baghdad and Washington regarding the withdrawal of coalition forces are influenced by regional circumstances, heightened tensions, and the possibility of conflict, which have significantly changed the status quo.

The Iraqi minister added: “We are taking both internal and external steps to avoid war. Pushing toward war is dangerous, and both the government and political parties are fully aware of this.”

He stressed that the government and parliament hold the authority over decisions of war and peace, reiterating Iraq’s commitment to safeguarding foreign advisors and diplomats.

The Iraqi military base, which hosts American advisors, was struck by two rockets launched by an unidentified group calling itself the “Revolutionaries.”

Security forces arrested individuals believed to be involved in the attack after seizing the rocket launch pad. However, within a week, the authorities announced their release, over what they said was insufficient evidence.

The United States announced that several American soldiers stationed at the base as part of the international coalition's mission in Iraq were injured.

On Thursday, the Iraqi Foreign Ministry stated that Baghdad had decided to postpone the announcement of the end of the international coalition’s mission due to the “recent developments.”

Iraqi media reported that the Iraqi Prime Minister had been preparing to announce the coalition’s withdrawal from the country. This was confirmed by former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki during a meeting with journalists in Baghdad, where he said: “The international coalition was scheduled to withdraw according to a timeline agreed upon by both parties, if not for the bombing that targeted the Ain al-Asad base.”



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.