PMF Mobilizes towards Kurdish Garmian Oilfields

PMF forces are seen in Iraq. (Telegram file)
PMF forces are seen in Iraq. (Telegram file)
TT

PMF Mobilizes towards Kurdish Garmian Oilfields

PMF forces are seen in Iraq. (Telegram file)
PMF forces are seen in Iraq. (Telegram file)

Conflicting reports emerged on Sunday over the movement of an Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) unit towards the disputed Garmian region.

The region, which boasts three oilfields, is located between the Diyala, Kirkuk and Sulaymaniyah provinces that are disputed between Arab and Kurds in Iraq.

Even though Garmian lies out of the administrative control of the Sulaymaniyah and Iraqi Kurdistan Region, it is effectively under the control of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK).

The PMF had never advanced on Garmian before, said Kurdish sources.

The incursion may be tied to the rivalry between various Kurdish parties, notably the two main forces the PUK and Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP).

Leading PUK officials condemned the incursion and called on Baghdad to intervene.

PUK sources confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat that the PMF withdrew from the area following party contacts with the ruling Coordination Framework in Baghdad.

Other sources said the incursion may have been related to vague security arrangements between the PUK and PMF after the position of Kirkuk governor had been assumed by a PUK loyalist.

Other Kurdish sources offered a different account. They told Asharq Al-Awsat that the PMF unit was accompanying an oil company that was keen on investing in an oilfield in the area.

Commenting on the incursion, the PMF explained that it launched a “surprise security operation” to crack down on terrorist cells in the region.

It did not disclose whether the unit had retreated from the area.

A senior official in the Peshmerga said that after the Kurdish force contacted Baghdad, the PMF will withdraw from the area because it carried out its incursion without prior coordination with the authorities in the area.

A Kurdish journalistic source told Asharq Al-Awsat that reports have said the PMF had withdrawn from the area, while others claimed that some of its members are still there.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.