Chairman of Yemen’s PLC in Historic Visit to Taiz Despite Security Fears

Chairman of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council Dr. Rashad Al-Alimi greets the crowd in Taiz. (Saba news agency)
Chairman of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council Dr. Rashad Al-Alimi greets the crowd in Taiz. (Saba news agency)
TT

Chairman of Yemen’s PLC in Historic Visit to Taiz Despite Security Fears

Chairman of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council Dr. Rashad Al-Alimi greets the crowd in Taiz. (Saba news agency)
Chairman of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council Dr. Rashad Al-Alimi greets the crowd in Taiz. (Saba news agency)

Chairman of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council Dr. Rashad Al-Alimi made a historic visit to the city of Taiz on Tuesday that has been besieged by the Iran-backed Houthis for nine years.

He was accorded a wide popular and official welcome, with crowds thronging the road to the city which he arrived at from the interim capital Aden.

He kicked off his visit by laying the foundation stone of several development and service projects funded by the Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen (SDRPY). They included constructing and equipping a specialized cancer center, power generation plant, technical industrial institute, rural hospital, and exemplary Al-Wahda Joint School.

In official statements, Al-Alimi said: “Taiz will continue to spearhead the national project. It will remain the cradle of change and the capital of perseverance that has been underscored by the years of oppressive siege imposed by the terrorist Houthi militias.”

He added that his meetings with local administrations always focus on improving living conditions and services and exerting efforts to liberate the remaining Yemeni provinces from the Houthis.

Residents of the western province of Taiz are hoping that his visit to the city of the same name will kickstart efforts to build institutions, provide services and focus on infrastructure, while continuing to confront the Houthi agenda and reclaim territories held by the militias.

This was the first visit by a Yemeni president to Taiz in nearly 15 years. He was accompanied by his deputies Abdullah Al-Alimi and Othman Majali.

Activists on social media posted photos of the PLC leader as he greeted the people in the city despite the danger as he passed by areas held by the Houthis.

Former minister and Yemen’s current ambassador to Morocco Ezzedine Al-Asbahi remarked that the people’s warm welcome of Al-Alimi, along the road stretching from Aden to Taiz, demonstrates their eagerness “for every step that consolidates the presence of the state.”

Yemeni journalist Ghamdan al-Yosifi said Al-Alimi's visit helps “tend to the wounds of the city.”

“It certainly was a security risk given that the Houthis have sought to target state leaders with all their might,” he remarked, recalling how the militias had previously attacked a plane transporting former Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik and members of his government when they landed at Aden airport years ago.

He also recalled a Houthi attack on the Taiz governor, who miraculously escaped with his life after they struck and destroyed his vehicle.

Al-Alimi has several thorny files to tackle in Taiz, “which has paid the heftiest of prices and made sacrifices as it rejected the Houthi project and it persevered alone when all support was extended to other provinces,” he added.

Yosifi hoped the visit would be aimed at breaking the siege and ending the tensions between the people of Taiz and the country’s leadership.

Yemeni researcher and political analyst Mustafa Naji al-Jabzi said Al-Alimi's visit helps restore Taiz province’s standing given “the major sacrifices it has given to preserve the republic and its Yemeni and Arab identity.”

“It is the frontline in the fight with the enemy” Houthis, he added.

He also urged political and social forces, especially the youth, to take advantage of Al-Alimi's visit to present a reform program that would address the situation in Taiz so that local authorities can be held to account if they fail to meet their aspirations.

Taiz is the fifth province Al-Alimi has visited since he assumed his post in April 2022 when the PLC was formed. The others are Aden, Hadramawt, al-Mahra and Marib.

Despite the failed efforts to reach peace and end the confict between the legitimate government and Houthis, Yemen has been witnessing relative calm since 2022 through UN efforts.

The Houthis have also been accused of obstructing a Saudi and Omani mediated peace roadmap when they launched their attacks on international shipping lanes in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden in November.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.