Wiretapping Scandal Continues to Rock Iraq

Two prominent members of the Coordination Framework were targeted by the wiretapping network. (Government media)
Two prominent members of the Coordination Framework were targeted by the wiretapping network. (Government media)
TT

Wiretapping Scandal Continues to Rock Iraq

Two prominent members of the Coordination Framework were targeted by the wiretapping network. (Government media)
Two prominent members of the Coordination Framework were targeted by the wiretapping network. (Government media)

“Several politicians” were the victims of the wiretapping network that was busted at the Iraqi prime minister’s office, informed sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The investigations revealed that two prominent members of the ruling pro-Iran Coordination Framework are among the targets, while it seems that the wiretapping was aimed at politically extorting its victims.

News emerged last week over the arrest of a wiretapping network at PM Mohammed Shia al-Sudani's office. Detainees included employees and cyber security officers working at the office.

Local reports said the network had also spied on Faiq Zidan, head of the Iraqi Supreme Judicial Council, but he denied the claims.

Investigations with the main suspect in the network appear to have led to other partners, revealed information obtained by Asharq Al-Awsat.

Confessions by the detainees revealed that the network, which began operating in late 2023, was charged with spying on senior state officials with the aim of political extortion, said sources.

Observers have described the case a “major breach of the government.”

Sudani issued on August 20 a statement saying that he ordered the formation of an investigation committee against an employee at his office for supporting a “position that is harmful to some officials and several lawmakers.”

Legal measures have been taken against that employee, but the government hasn’t issued a follow-up statement yet about its further proceedings.

Mohammed Juhi, aide to the PM’s media director, has been viewed as the main suspect in the wiretapping case. He has since been suspended until investigations are completed.

Reports have said he used to work at the Health Ministry before assuming his post at the PM’s office. His uncle, Judge Raed Juhi, used to work at former PM Mustafa al-Kadhimi's office.

Seven suspects, including Mohammed Juhi and an intelligence officer, have since been arrested in the wiretapping case.

The New Region website said Mohammed Juhi was only a “tool, not the real head” of the spy network.

“He (Juhi) was reached by following a link to one of the pages associated with him personally. Following the link led the National Security personnel directly to his home inside the Green Zone, where he was arrested,” it reported according to sources.

The report also said Zidan was among the targets of the network.

Zidan’s quick denial of the reports only fueled speculation among Iraqis that he was indeed a victim of the network.

Informed sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that while the network did target politicians and officials, it did not reach Zidan.

They confirmed that two prominent members of the Coordination Framework were indeed targeted.

MP Mustafa Sanad said last week that the network had spied on the telephones of several lawmakers and politicians, including himself.

It was also controlling electronic armies, fabricating fake news, and assuming the identity of politicians and businessmen.

The network has confessed to its crimes, he added, while revealing that a lot of pressure was being exerted to release the suspects. The judge handling their case has not yielded to the pressure.

Sources close to the Coordination Framework told Asharq Al-Awsat that the wiretapping case has “angered the alliance and it is trying to keep its details from going public because it is a great embarrassment to the government.”

They did not rule out the possibility that senior officials at the PM’s office may be involved in the network over disputes with influential judges.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.