Israeli Strikes Kill 27 Palestinians in Gaza as Polio Vaccination Resumes

30 August 2024, Palestinian Territories, Khan Younis: Palestinians return to their destroyed homes after the Israeli army withdrew from the eastern part of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip. (dpa)
30 August 2024, Palestinian Territories, Khan Younis: Palestinians return to their destroyed homes after the Israeli army withdrew from the eastern part of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip. (dpa)
TT

Israeli Strikes Kill 27 Palestinians in Gaza as Polio Vaccination Resumes

30 August 2024, Palestinian Territories, Khan Younis: Palestinians return to their destroyed homes after the Israeli army withdrew from the eastern part of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip. (dpa)
30 August 2024, Palestinian Territories, Khan Younis: Palestinians return to their destroyed homes after the Israeli army withdrew from the eastern part of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip. (dpa)

Israeli military strikes killed at least 27 Palestinians across the Gaza Strip on Friday, medics said, as health officials resumed vaccination of tens of thousands more children in the enclave against polio.

In Nuseirat, one of the territory's eight historic refugee camps, an Israeli airstrike killed two women and two children, while eight other people were killed in two other airstrikes in Gaza City, the medics said. The rest were killed in subsequent strikes across the enclave, they added.

Meanwhile, Israeli forces battled Hamas-led fighters in the Zeitoun suburb of Gaza City, where residents said tanks have been operating for over a week, in eastern neighborhoods of Khan Younis, and in Rafah, near the border with Egypt, where residents said Israeli forces blew up several houses.

Eleven months into the war, multiple rounds of diplomacy have so far failed to clinch a ceasefire deal to end the conflict and bring the release of Israeli and foreign hostages held in Gaza as well as many Palestinians jailed in Israel.

The two warring sides continued to blame one another for the fruitless efforts of mediators including Qatar, Egypt and the United States. The US is preparing to present a new ceasefire proposal to hammer out differences, but prospects of a breakthrough remain dim as gaps between the sides remain wide.

On Thursday, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that it was incumbent on both Israel and Hamas to say yes on remaining issues to reach a Gaza ceasefire deal.

Nearly 90% of the Gaza ceasefire deal is agreed but critical issues remain where there are gaps, including the so-called Philadelphi corridor along Gaza's southern border with Egypt, Blinken told a press briefing. Israel has said it will not leave the corridor; Hamas says a deal isn't possible unless it does.

Meanwhile, residents of Khan Younis and displaced families from Rafah continued to crowd medical facilities, bringing their children to be vaccinated against polio. The campaign was launched after the discovery of a case of a one-year-old baby who was partially paralyzed.

POLIO CAMPAIGN TO MOVE TO NORTHERN GAZA

This was the first known case of the disease in Gaza - one of the world's most densely populated places - in 25 years. It re-emerged as Gaza's health system has virtually collapsed and many hospitals have been knocked out of action due to the war.

The United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, said at least 160,000 children received the drops in southern areas of Gaza on Thursday where medical staffers began the second stage of the campaign, benefiting from an Israeli and Hamas agreement on limited pauses in the fighting.

"Since 1 September @UNRWA & partners have vaccinated nearly 355,000 children against #polio in #Gaza middle & southern areas," UNRWA said in a post on X.

"In the next few days we'll continue rolling out the polio vaccination campaign aiming to reach around 640,000 children under 10 with this critical vaccine," it added.

Juliette Touma, UNRWA's Director of Communications, hailed the campaign as very welcome progress. She said UNRWA was working with UNICEF, the World Health Organization and local health partners around the clock and in a race against time to vaccinate every child across the Gaza Strip.

"These temporary pauses do not however replace our calls for a ceasefire, it’s long overdue. It’s time to reach a deal that would bring respite for the people in Gaza, release all hostages and bring in a steady flow of commercial and humanitarian supplies into Gaza," Touma told Reuters.

The campaign will shift on Sunday to the northern Gaza Strip, which has been the focus of the major Israeli military offensive in the past 11 months. According to the World Health Organization, a second round of vaccinations would be required four weeks after the first round.

The latest bloodshed in the decades-old Israeli-Palestinian conflict was triggered last Oct. 7 when Hamas-led fighters stormed into Israel, killing 1,200 and taking about 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

Israel's subsequent assault on the Hamas-governed enclave has since killed over 40,800 Palestinians, according to the local health ministry, while also displacing nearly the entire population of 2.3 million, causing a hunger crisis and leading to genocide allegations at the World Court that Israel denies.

According to the United Nations, at least 1.9 million people - or nine in 10 -across the Gaza Strip are internally displaced, including people who have uprooted up to 10 times or more.



Israeli Druze Leader Says Syrian Community 'Besieged' Months after Clashes

Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif, the spiritual leader of the Druze community in Israel, during an interview in the village of Julis on February 15, 2026 (AFP)
Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif, the spiritual leader of the Druze community in Israel, during an interview in the village of Julis on February 15, 2026 (AFP)
TT

Israeli Druze Leader Says Syrian Community 'Besieged' Months after Clashes

Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif, the spiritual leader of the Druze community in Israel, during an interview in the village of Julis on February 15, 2026 (AFP)
Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif, the spiritual leader of the Druze community in Israel, during an interview in the village of Julis on February 15, 2026 (AFP)

Seven months after deadly clashes between Syria's Druze minority and government-backed forces, the spiritual leader of Druze in neighboring Israel said members of the community across the border remained in peril.

"They're still besieged -- completely encircled. They aren't allowed to bring in any humanitarian aid, including the aid we're trying to deliver," Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif told AFP in an interview this week.

The cleric spoke in Julis, a quiet Druze village in northern Israel, where the community has set up an "emergency room" to coordinate aid efforts for Druze in Syria.

Israeli and Druze flags hang on the walls of the room, alongside posters in Hebrew and Arabic calling for an end to the killing of Syrian Druze.

The Druze spread across parts of Syria, Israel, Lebanon and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

Clashes erupted last July in southern Syria between Druze fighters and Bedouin tribes.

The Syrian authorities said their forces intervened to stop the clashes.

Israel bombed Syria during the violence, saying it was acting to defend the minority group.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs estimated that some 187,000 people were displaced by the violence.

- 'Why not let them return?' -

"There are still more than 120,000 people displaced from their homes," Sheikh Tarif said.

"Thirty-eight villages have been captured, and residents aren't allowed to return. There are more than 300 captives, including children and women."

AFP was unable to verify those claims.

Although a ceasefire was reached in July, access to Sweida remains difficult.

Residents accuse the government of imposing a blockade on the province, which Damascus denies. Several aid convoys have entered since then.

"Why not let them return to their villages? We're in the depths of winter and that is a mountainous area. It's very cold," Tarif said.

With Syria's government and Kurdish-led forces agreeing last month to integrate Kurdish fighters and civil institutions into state structures, Sweida is the last major area outside Damascus's control.

Tarif said the community did not need government security forces in the region.

"The Druze have forces capable of defending themselves and maintaining order," he said.

Nevertheless, Israel and Syria, which have no official diplomatic ties, have held several rounds of direct talks in recent months.

Following negotiations in January, and under US pressure, both sides agreed to set up an intelligence-sharing mechanism as they moved toward a security agreement.

One issue under discussion is the possibility of Syrian Druze working in Israel.

Sheikh Tarif confirmed "that is something we have heard" and added that he wished any Syrian could come to work as a daily laborer "because the (economic) situation in Syria is very difficult".

He also called for Druze across the Middle East to be able to visit their religious sites in neighboring countries, "just as our Christian and Muslim brothers visit their holy places" in states with which they may not have diplomatic relations.

"The Druze also deserve to access and pray at our holy sites in Syria and Lebanon and for them to come visit our holy places" in Israel, he said.


US Calls on Sudan Parties to Immediately Accept Humanitarian Truce

US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)
US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)
TT

US Calls on Sudan Parties to Immediately Accept Humanitarian Truce

US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)
US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)

US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos revealed on Friday that the US had called on all Sudanese parties to immediately and unconditionally accept a humanitarian truce backed by the United Nations mechanism.

Boulos took part in several diplomatic meetings on the sidelines of a UN Security Council meeting on Sudan.

The US calls on all parties to accept the truce so that lifesaving aid can be delivered to civilians and so that dialogue can kick off, he stressed.

He said the US continues to work with its partners towards achieving fair and permanent peace in Sudan. He underlined their commitment to holding those responsible for genocide in Sudan to account.

They also back the trusted transition towards civilian rule, he added.

The Sudanese people deserve to live in security, dignity and without fear, Boulos said.

He joined other world leaders at the Security Council “to address the dire crisis in Sudan and the urgent need to end more than 1,000 days of needless conflict,” he wrote on X.

“The Council delivered a clear and unified message: there is no military solution to this conflict, and the time to end the fighting is now,” he added.

“The suffering of the Sudanese people has been devastating — with widespread displacement, food insecurity, and atrocities that demand both global attention and action. I reaffirmed that achieving durable peace in Sudan remains a priority for US President Donald Trump and underscored America’s commitment to helping bring this war to an end,” Boulos stated.

He outlined “five key pillars for international alignment: an immediate humanitarian truce; sustained humanitarian access and protection of civilians; a permanent ceasefire and credible security arrangements; an inclusive, civilian-led political transition; and a long-term path toward recovery and reconstruction that restores stability and opportunity for the Sudanese people.”

“The United States will continue working closely with allies and partners, including our Quad partners, the UK, and others to press for a humanitarian truce and expand life-saving assistance,” he vowed.

“We will also continue holding accountable those responsible for atrocities, even as we push urgently for the peace the Sudanese people deserve,” he declared.


Somalia Moves to Contain Public Criticism Over Türkiye Ties

Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)
Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)
TT

Somalia Moves to Contain Public Criticism Over Türkiye Ties

Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)
Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)

Growing cooperation between Mogadishu and Ankara has drawn domestic criticism in Somalia over what some describe as a “one-sided benefit” for Türkiye, prompting Somali authorities to stress that the country’s sovereignty and the rights of its people remain unaffected.

The official denial issued on Friday comes amid tensions between the government and the opposition ahead of pivotal elections later this year.

A Somali affairs expert told Asharq Al-Awsat the move was aimed at containing any potential crisis with Türkiye, which he described as a strategic ally that Mogadishu needs.

He said Ankara was likely to understand the situation and continue its presence in Somalia, given its strategic interests in the Horn of Africa.

Cooperation between Mogadishu and Ankara has appeared more active against the backdrop of the Somali government’s internal disputes with the opposition and following Israel’s recognition of the breakaway region of Somaliland in December.

Somali denial

The Somali National News Agency reported on Friday, citing official sources, that “some social media accounts circulated claims alleging that the Turkish government is unilaterally benefiting from Somalia’s natural and energy resources, particularly the oil sector.”

It added that “these allegations are baseless and fall within disinformation campaigns aimed at distorting facts and undermining the existing cooperation between the two countries.”

Official Somali sources clarified that the joint agreement signed between Turkish Petroleum Corporation (TPAO) and the Somali Petroleum Authority explicitly stipulates that natural resources belong to the Somali people, and that exploration and production operations are conducted in accordance with national legal frameworks and in a manner that safeguards the state’s sovereign interests.

Officials from both the Somali and Turkish sides also stressed that the energy partnership is based on transparency, mutual respect and the preservation of Somalia’s sovereignty.

The remarks come amid a political crisis between the government and the opposition ahead of direct elections this year, a key point of contention.

Less than a week ago, the vessel “Cagri Bey” departed from Türkiye for Somalia, where it will begin offshore oil exploration as part of the implementation of economic and defense cooperation agreements signed by the two governments, the agency reported on Feb. 15.

Somali political analyst Abdulweli Beri said criticism portraying the trajectory of relations between Mogadishu and Ankara as “one-sided” is “not entirely new, but has intensified now for several political and economic reasons.”

He noted that agreements related to oil, gas and minerals are always highly sensitive in any developing country because they concern sovereignty and future wealth. “In the Somali case, any perception that an external party may obtain a large share or long-term privileges automatically raises concerns among elites and the opposition,” he said.

Political polarization

The current debate, Beri said, comes amid political polarization ahead of the elections. “The opposition tends to scrutinize any strategic agreements concluded by the government, which remains more vulnerable to criticism. In the absence of full clarity on some details, this information gap is often filled by political narratives or public concerns.”

He said the official Somali clarifications were intended to contain the accusations and prevent them from affecting cooperation projects, given the need for a strategic alliance with Türkiye.

The statements come amid growing bilateral ties between Somalia and Türkiye, spanning infrastructure, social services, security and investment, within a framework of partnership between two independent states linked by close friendship and cooperation, the Somali National News Agency reported on Friday.

Expanding partnership

Turkish-Somali cooperation is not limited to the energy sector. On Feb. 18, Interior Security Minister Gen. Abdullahi Sheikh Ismail received military equipment for the national police from the Turkish ambassador to Somalia, according to the agency.

On Feb. 10, the Somali Communications Authority signed a memorandum of understanding with Türkiye’s Information and Communication Technologies Authority to enhance cooperation in the field of electronic communications, the same source said.

On Jan. 28, Somalia and Türkiye marked the 60th anniversary of diplomatic relations at a ceremony organized by the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Somalia in Ankara, the Turkish capital.

Beri said Somalia would remain keen to preserve and continue this cooperation and to provide ongoing clarifications, though they should be more detailed to dispel the accusations. He added that Ankara was likely to understand this and maintain its presence in Somalia, viewing it as strategic to its interests in the Horn of Africa.