Grundberg in Tehran, Calls on Houthis to Release UN Staff

The UN envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg (UN)
The UN envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg (UN)
TT

Grundberg in Tehran, Calls on Houthis to Release UN Staff

The UN envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg (UN)
The UN envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg (UN)

The UN envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg renewed on Wednesday his appeal for Houthis to immediately release UN staff detained by the group.
During meetings held in Tehran with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, senior Iranian officials and a number of diplomats, the envoy affirmed that dialogue is the only sustainable way to achieve peace and stability in Yemen.
Grundberg expressed his aspirations to enhance regional cooperation to support efforts to achieve a peaceful solution to the conflict in Yemen, his office said.
He highlighted a number of pressing issues during the meetings, including regional developments that undermine mediation efforts.
The envoy also addressed recent escalations in the Red Sea, pointing to broader security concerns and the potential destabilizing repercussions in the region.
Grundberg stressed the urgent need to resume constructive negotiations, affirming that dialogue is the only sustainable way to achieve peace and stability in Yemen.
He also underlined the importance of coordinated regional and international efforts to push Yemen towards a comprehensive and lasting solution to the conflict.
“I had frank and constructive discussions with officials in Tehran,” Grundberg said. He added that joint efforts are essential to overcome the challenges posed by the conflict and to ensure a peaceful settlement that meets the aspirations of the Yemeni people.
“During all meetings,” he added, “I made it a top priority to support the Secretary-General’s urgent appeal for the release of all detained colleagues. They must be released without delay to foster the hope and confidence needed to move forward.”
Hope for Assistance
While the peace process in Yemen is disrupted by the Houthis' attacks on ships, the UN envoy is apparently hoping that Tehran will help him pressure the group to release abducted UN workers.
Yemenis were hoping for a breakthrough in the peace process late last year after the Houthis and the legitimate government agreed to a Saudi-Oman-brokered roadmap.
But such hopes dashed as the Houthis have escalated their attacks on ships in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.
In his last briefing to the UN Security Council, Grundberg said that his main goal, under these difficult circumstances, remains to mediate a permanent and just solution to the conflict in Yemen, but he regretted that the ongoing war in Gaza, and the related regional escalation, complicate these efforts.
The UN envoy to Yemen indicated that there had been no improvement in the military situation since his last briefing to the Security Council, as worrying military activities were observed on the front lines in Marib, Shabwa, Taiz, Al Dhale and Lahj, in addition to escalating rhetoric between the conflicting parties.
He explained that his office would work to assist the Yemeni parties in implementing the understanding reached on July 23 regarding de-escalation in the banking sector and Yemenia Airlines, by continuing to communicate with the relevant representatives.
Grundberg said the agreement had helped avert a severe crisis, however, he warned that the current situation was unstable and that the economic conditions of the majority of Yemenis continued to deteriorate.
The envoy then stressed that he remains committed to his conviction that lasting peace in Yemen can only be achieved through continuous and focused engagement on core issues such as the economy, a nationwide ceasefire, and a comprehensive political process.

 

 



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.