White House Has Not Given Up Hope of Landing Gaza Ceasefire

White House national security spokesperson John Kirby. (AP)
White House national security spokesperson John Kirby. (AP)
TT

White House Has Not Given Up Hope of Landing Gaza Ceasefire

White House national security spokesperson John Kirby. (AP)
White House national security spokesperson John Kirby. (AP)

White House national security spokesperson John Kirby stressed on Friday that the administration of President Joe Biden is consistently working to reach a deal for a ceasefire in Gaza and the release of the hostages, saying diplomacy remains the path to calm regional tensions, especially between Israel and Hezbollah.

Kirby acknowledged that mediators are “no closer to achieving that than we were even a week or so ago” but vowed that “ain’t nobody giving up.”

“We’re still going to keep the shoulders to the wheel,” he told reporters. “The president has directed his team to continue to try to find a way to see if we can get a proposal that both sides will agree to.”

Asked about a report earlier this week which alleged that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has consistently sabotaged efforts to reach a hostage release-ceasefire deal, Kirby said that he hasn’t seen the report by Israel’s Channel 12 television network, and therefore cannot comment on it. But he added that Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar “remains the main obstacle to pushing this forward.”

Kirby was also asked to comment on the decision by Secretary of State Antony Blinken to skip visiting Israel during his last trip to the region, where he held talks in Cairo, and the cancellation of Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin's visit to Israel next Monday.

He denied that Washington was trying to send a message to Israeli officials, saying Israel is well aware of Biden's position, and his administration supports Israel's efforts to defend itself.

Israel and Hezbollah

On Lebanon, Kirby said the US was not involved in the detonation of thousands of communication devices linked to Hezbollah across the country that killed 37 people and injured over 3,250 others.

“We were not involved in [Tuesday's] incidents or [Wednesday's] in any way,” he replied when asked to respond to the attacks.

He also declined to comment on whether senior administration officials had contacted Netanyahu or any Israeli officials about these explosions.

“We still believe there is time and space for a diplomatic solution” to the escalating tensions between Israel and Hezbollah.

“We think that this is the best way forward,” he said. “War is not inevitable up there at the Blue Line, and we’re going to continue to do everything we can to try to prevent it.”

Kirby also said: “We don't want to see a second front in this war opened up at the border with Lebanon, and everything we're doing is going to be involved in trying to prevent that outcome. As I also said earlier, there is no reason for an expanded military conflict in Lebanon to be inevitable.”

“There's still time and space for diplomacy to work, and we're going to continue to give it a shot, and that's where we are,” he added.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.