Evacuations from Lebanon: What We Know

Smoke rises from Beirut southern suburbs, after an Israeli strike, as seen from Hadath, Lebanon October 1, 2024. (Reuters)
Smoke rises from Beirut southern suburbs, after an Israeli strike, as seen from Hadath, Lebanon October 1, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

Evacuations from Lebanon: What We Know

Smoke rises from Beirut southern suburbs, after an Israeli strike, as seen from Hadath, Lebanon October 1, 2024. (Reuters)
Smoke rises from Beirut southern suburbs, after an Israeli strike, as seen from Hadath, Lebanon October 1, 2024. (Reuters)

Israel launched a ground offensive in Lebanon on Tuesday, escalating a conflict against Hezbollah after a week of air strikes that have killed hundreds.

Several countries have begun evacuating their nationals from Lebanon or are planning to do so.

- Britain -

Britain has chartered a commercial flight for its nationals that will depart from Beirut's Rafik Hariri International Airport on Wednesday.

The UK government has said further flights may be arranged, depending on demand.

It said it would prioritize "vulnerable British nationals" for Wednesday's flight.

Last week, London announced the deployment of 700 soldiers to Cyprus to prepare for a possible evacuation of its citizens from Lebanon.

- Canada -

Canada has reserved 800 seats on commercial planes to evacuate its citizens from Lebanon, with the next flight scheduled to depart on Tuesday.

About 45,000 Canadians are currently in Lebanon.

The Canadian military has set up emergency resources in Cyprus if commercial flights are interrupted.

- Germany -

On Monday, Germany flew out its Beirut embassy's non-essential staff, their dependents and some of its citizens in Lebanon with medical conditions.

About 110 passengers boarded the German air force A321 plane, which landed in Berlin late in the evening.

The Beirut embassy remained operational to help the estimated 1,800 German citizens in Lebanon "in their departure via commercial flights and other means", the government said.

"We are currently at a stage where we support the departure (of citizens) but we are explicitly not in an evacuation scenario," a government spokesman said on Monday.

- Japan -

Japan is urging its citizens to leave Lebanon on commercial flights and is preparing military flights for their possible return, the government said on Friday.

C-2 military transport planes have been ordered to go to Jordan and Greece to be on stand-by in case Japanese nationals need to be transported out of the region.

Japanese media said there were around 50 Japanese citizens currently in Lebanon.

- Philippines -

The Philippines vowed last week to evacuate 11,000 citizens from Lebanon the moment Israeli forces crossed the border to launch a ground offensive.

"A ground invasion will lead to mandatory repatriation," Foreign Undersecretary Eduardo de Vega said on Friday, adding the plan was to move thousands out of the country via the sea.

He did not provide details.

Manila had earlier urged Filipinos to leave Lebanon before commercial airlines stopped flying to Beirut.

Millions of Filipinos work in the Middle East. Around 90 percent of those in Lebanon are female domestic workers.

- Portugal -

Portugal evacuated 44 people from Lebanon -- 28 nationals and their families -- by military plane via Cyprus on Saturday evening.

- Bulgaria -

A total of 89 Bulgarians evacuated from Lebanon -- mostly families with children -- arrived in Sofia late Monday. A government plane is expected to make a second flight on Tuesday.

Around 400 Bulgarians live in Lebanon, and so far, 160 of them have declared they want to be evacuated from the country, according to deputy foreign minister Elena Shekerletova.

- Refugees -

The United Nations Refugee agency said on Monday around 100,000 people had fled to Syria from Lebanon due to Israeli air strikes.

The UNHCR representative in Syria said most evacuees were women and children. Around 80 percent were Syrian nationals and 20 percent Lebanese.

Some 210,000 Palestinian refugees live in camps and informal settlements in Lebanon, according to the UN children's agency UNICEF.

An Israeli air strike hit a Palestinian refugee camp in southern Lebanon on Tuesday, killing several inhabitants, Lebanon's official National News Agency said.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.