Sources to Asharq Al-Awsat: Delays in Reaching Sinwar Cost Three Key Negotiation Chances

Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar (AFP)
Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar (AFP)
TT

Sources to Asharq Al-Awsat: Delays in Reaching Sinwar Cost Three Key Negotiation Chances

Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar (AFP)
Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar (AFP)

Sources within Hamas told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Palestinian group’s political leader, Yahya Sinwar, recently sent a message to mediators through the movement’s leadership.

The message reaffirmed Hamas’ demands, including Israel’s complete withdrawal from Gaza, reconstruction of the area, lifting the blockade, the return of displaced people without obstacles, and a dignified prisoner exchange deal.

The sources, who requested anonymity, stressed that Sinwar is kept informed about events within and outside Hamas, though there have been some delays in decisions and messages.

However, sources familiar with the negotiations said these delays led to “at least three missed opportunities for a final agreement.”

Since late August, negotiations mediated by the US, Egypt, and Qatar between Hamas and Israel have largely stalled, with both sides accusing each other of changing the terms of the proposed ceasefire and prisoner exchange.

Sinwar’s Communication Style

Hamas insiders clarified that Sinwar’s communication with the group’s leadership was never fully cut off but has been delayed for security reasons. Sinwar follows a specific strategy, deciding when and how to communicate with mediators on his own terms.

Other sources pointed out that difficulties in reaching Sinwar and Hamas' military wing had previously disrupted negotiation efforts.

One such case occurred in December when Israel agreed to most terms of a new proposal. However, delays in Hamas’ response, due to issues in contacting Sinwar and other leaders, resulted in a “missed opportunity.”

These delays frustrated mediators, occasionally leading Israel to backtrack on agreements.

In August, senior Hamas official Osama Hamdan admitted there were “some communication difficulties” due to the conflict with Israel but assured that contact remained and that Hamas was managing its affairs effectively.

Hamdan also mentioned that leadership arrangements with Sinwar were progressing, although they might take time due to security concerns.

Sinwar was appointed as Hamas leader on August 6, following the assassination of the former leader Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran. Recently, Sinwar has remained out of the public eye, with no messages sent on the first anniversary of the October 2023 “Al-Aqsa Flood” operation.

Israeli reports have speculated that Sinwar was killed, citing his lack of communication in recent weeks.

Meanwhile, Axios reported that an Israeli official confirmed Sinwar had resumed contact with the Hamas leadership in Qatar, but it’s unclear whether the discussions involve military or truce matters.

Despite a large Israeli operation in the city of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip over the past three months, Sinwar has avoided capture.

Sources have said that only a few people know his whereabouts, and he has been issuing orders during the conflict, sending instructions every few weeks, often via handwritten or typed messages delivered through secure channels.

Hamas sources outside Gaza added that Sinwar had sent written and audio messages to mediators at least twice during critical points in the negotiations.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.