King Abdullah II Receives Mikati: Jordan Doing its Utmost to Stop War on Lebanon

This handout picture released by the Jordanian Royal Palace shows Jordan's King Abdullah II (C) and his son Crown Prince Hussein (R) receiving Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati (L) at Husseiniya Palace in Amman on October 14, 2024. (Jordanian Royal Hashemite Court / AFP)
This handout picture released by the Jordanian Royal Palace shows Jordan's King Abdullah II (C) and his son Crown Prince Hussein (R) receiving Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati (L) at Husseiniya Palace in Amman on October 14, 2024. (Jordanian Royal Hashemite Court / AFP)
TT

King Abdullah II Receives Mikati: Jordan Doing its Utmost to Stop War on Lebanon

This handout picture released by the Jordanian Royal Palace shows Jordan's King Abdullah II (C) and his son Crown Prince Hussein (R) receiving Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati (L) at Husseiniya Palace in Amman on October 14, 2024. (Jordanian Royal Hashemite Court / AFP)
This handout picture released by the Jordanian Royal Palace shows Jordan's King Abdullah II (C) and his son Crown Prince Hussein (R) receiving Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati (L) at Husseiniya Palace in Amman on October 14, 2024. (Jordanian Royal Hashemite Court / AFP)

Jordan’s King Abdullah II stressed on Monday that his country was “doing its utmost, in coordination with Arab brothers and influential countries, to stop the Israeli war on Lebanon.”

Lebanese caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati was in Jordan for talks with King Abdullah. The leaders discussed the developments in Lebanon amid the Israeli assault on the South, said Mikati’s office.

King Abdullah said Jordan firmly stands by Lebanon and its brotherly people. It supports its sovereignty, security and stability, he stated.

The kingdom is prepared to offer aid to the Lebanese brothers to ease their suffering during the war, he went on to say.

Moreover, King Abdullah warned against “the expansion of the Israeli aggression on Lebanon, which may lead the whole region to war.”

For his part, Mikati expressed his appreciation for the monarch and Jordan’s support for Lebanon on numerous occasions.

He hailed the humanitarian air bridge between Amman and Beirut to aid the people who have been displaced in the war.

Mikati also met with his Jordanian counterpart Jaafar Hassan for talks on the Israeli war on Lebanon.

Hassan stressed the need for the implementation of United Nations Security Council resolution 1701.

The Israeli assault on Lebanon has displaced around 1.2 million people. So far, Lebanon’s international contacts have yielded little progress in reaching a ceasefire, said Lebanese sources, revealing that Israel has rejected all proposals.

Meanwhile, UN Special Coordinator for Lebanon Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert held talks with parliament Speaker Nabih Berri on the latest developments.

The UN is doing everything it can to reach a diplomatic solution to the problem, she said.

She stressed the need for the full implementation of resolution 1701 by both parties to reach a solution.

She warned that the situation cannot tolerate failure to implement the resolution.

Discussions with Berri focused on the resolution and a mechanism for its implementation, she added, saying that all parties are keen on avoiding history repeating itself when it comes to the resolution.

A ceasefire is a necessary first step ahead of implementing it, she remarked.

Berri also received a telephone call from Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassem Al Thani for talks on the developments in Lebanon and the need for an immediate ceasefire, said the parliament office.

Berri held telephone talks with UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNFIL) commander Lieutenant General Aroldo Lazaro to thank him for his “reasonable and brave” stance in remaining firm in their position and maintaining their duties in the South amid the Israeli assault.

Such a stance keeps resolution 1701 alive, he added.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."