King Abdullah II Receives Mikati: Jordan Doing its Utmost to Stop War on Lebanon

This handout picture released by the Jordanian Royal Palace shows Jordan's King Abdullah II (C) and his son Crown Prince Hussein (R) receiving Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati (L) at Husseiniya Palace in Amman on October 14, 2024. (Jordanian Royal Hashemite Court / AFP)
This handout picture released by the Jordanian Royal Palace shows Jordan's King Abdullah II (C) and his son Crown Prince Hussein (R) receiving Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati (L) at Husseiniya Palace in Amman on October 14, 2024. (Jordanian Royal Hashemite Court / AFP)
TT

King Abdullah II Receives Mikati: Jordan Doing its Utmost to Stop War on Lebanon

This handout picture released by the Jordanian Royal Palace shows Jordan's King Abdullah II (C) and his son Crown Prince Hussein (R) receiving Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati (L) at Husseiniya Palace in Amman on October 14, 2024. (Jordanian Royal Hashemite Court / AFP)
This handout picture released by the Jordanian Royal Palace shows Jordan's King Abdullah II (C) and his son Crown Prince Hussein (R) receiving Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati (L) at Husseiniya Palace in Amman on October 14, 2024. (Jordanian Royal Hashemite Court / AFP)

Jordan’s King Abdullah II stressed on Monday that his country was “doing its utmost, in coordination with Arab brothers and influential countries, to stop the Israeli war on Lebanon.”

Lebanese caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati was in Jordan for talks with King Abdullah. The leaders discussed the developments in Lebanon amid the Israeli assault on the South, said Mikati’s office.

King Abdullah said Jordan firmly stands by Lebanon and its brotherly people. It supports its sovereignty, security and stability, he stated.

The kingdom is prepared to offer aid to the Lebanese brothers to ease their suffering during the war, he went on to say.

Moreover, King Abdullah warned against “the expansion of the Israeli aggression on Lebanon, which may lead the whole region to war.”

For his part, Mikati expressed his appreciation for the monarch and Jordan’s support for Lebanon on numerous occasions.

He hailed the humanitarian air bridge between Amman and Beirut to aid the people who have been displaced in the war.

Mikati also met with his Jordanian counterpart Jaafar Hassan for talks on the Israeli war on Lebanon.

Hassan stressed the need for the implementation of United Nations Security Council resolution 1701.

The Israeli assault on Lebanon has displaced around 1.2 million people. So far, Lebanon’s international contacts have yielded little progress in reaching a ceasefire, said Lebanese sources, revealing that Israel has rejected all proposals.

Meanwhile, UN Special Coordinator for Lebanon Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert held talks with parliament Speaker Nabih Berri on the latest developments.

The UN is doing everything it can to reach a diplomatic solution to the problem, she said.

She stressed the need for the full implementation of resolution 1701 by both parties to reach a solution.

She warned that the situation cannot tolerate failure to implement the resolution.

Discussions with Berri focused on the resolution and a mechanism for its implementation, she added, saying that all parties are keen on avoiding history repeating itself when it comes to the resolution.

A ceasefire is a necessary first step ahead of implementing it, she remarked.

Berri also received a telephone call from Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassem Al Thani for talks on the developments in Lebanon and the need for an immediate ceasefire, said the parliament office.

Berri held telephone talks with UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNFIL) commander Lieutenant General Aroldo Lazaro to thank him for his “reasonable and brave” stance in remaining firm in their position and maintaining their duties in the South amid the Israeli assault.

Such a stance keeps resolution 1701 alive, he added.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.