Lebanon’s Relief Commission Warehouses Filled with Saudi Aid for Distribution

Lebanon’s Environment Minister Nasser Yassin, Coordinator of the National Disaster and Crisis Response Committee, oversees the delivery of aid at the “High Relief Commission” warehouse in Lebanon (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Lebanon’s Environment Minister Nasser Yassin, Coordinator of the National Disaster and Crisis Response Committee, oversees the delivery of aid at the “High Relief Commission” warehouse in Lebanon (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Lebanon’s Relief Commission Warehouses Filled with Saudi Aid for Distribution

Lebanon’s Environment Minister Nasser Yassin, Coordinator of the National Disaster and Crisis Response Committee, oversees the delivery of aid at the “High Relief Commission” warehouse in Lebanon (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Lebanon’s Environment Minister Nasser Yassin, Coordinator of the National Disaster and Crisis Response Committee, oversees the delivery of aid at the “High Relief Commission” warehouse in Lebanon (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Lebanon’s High Relief Commission has received hundreds of tons of Saudi relief aid at Rafic Hariri International Airport, delivered through an air bridge set up by Saudi Arabia to help over a million refugees displaced by the Israeli war.
The Commission deployed its staff and hundreds of volunteers to distribute the aid to more than 1.2 million refugees. Convoys have started transporting the supplies from the Commission’s warehouses in Beirut to shelters in the capital, Mount Lebanon, Bekaa, and northern regions.
Lebanon’s Environment Minister Nasser Yassin, Coordinator of the National Disaster and Crisis Response Committee, thanked Saudi King Salman, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and the Saudi people for setting up the air bridge to deliver urgent aid to Lebanon.
He noted that 1.2 million people have been displaced from their homes due to the crisis.
Yassin highlighted Saudi Arabia’s long-standing support for Lebanon, from the civil war and the Taif Agreement to its key role during the 2006 war.
“Once again, Saudi Arabia is standing by Lebanon in these difficult times,” he said.
Maj. Gen. Mohammad Khair, head of the High Relief Commission, called Saudi Arabia’s quick response a testament to the strong bond between the two countries.
He told Asharq Al-Awsat that Saudi aid is the largest and most significant so far, boosting Arab and international support for Lebanon. Four out of ten aid planes have already arrived, with the last one expected next Tuesday.
Saudi Arabia's support for Lebanon extends beyond the air bridge and aid shipments.
Khair announced that a Saudi delegation, sent by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, has arrived to help distribute aid and assess the urgent needs of refugees.
The Saudi aid includes medical supplies delivered to the Ministry of Health, large quantities of food and shelter items, and 110,000 packs of baby formula, which have been greatly welcomed by displaced families.
Suleiman Shahrour, Secretary-General of the High Relief Commission, praised Saudi Arabia’s solidarity with Lebanon and thanked the Kingdom for its support.
He called on other countries to continue providing aid, as thousands of people are still in desperate need of food and shelter.

 



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.