Israel Shifts Ground Offensive in Southern Lebanon to Khiam


A snapshot shows the destruction in Khiam neighborhoods due to Israeli airstrikes (AFP)
A snapshot shows the destruction in Khiam neighborhoods due to Israeli airstrikes (AFP)
TT

Israel Shifts Ground Offensive in Southern Lebanon to Khiam


A snapshot shows the destruction in Khiam neighborhoods due to Israeli airstrikes (AFP)
A snapshot shows the destruction in Khiam neighborhoods due to Israeli airstrikes (AFP)

Israeli ground forces have shifted focus in southern Lebanon, advancing toward the strategic town of Khiam in a bid to reach the area near the Metula settlement, which overlooks large stretches of Israeli territory.

The Israeli military began a “testing” operation, deploying vehicles on two fronts: one near Metula and another through the Wazzani Plains, including Ghajar and Serdeh Hill. These open areas, with limited Hezbollah presence, allow for quick armored advances, military experts said.

The battle for Khiam is set to be a key focus for Israeli forces in southern Lebanon. It’s the first town they plan to enter after a year of air and artillery strikes, and it carries symbolic weight as home to Khiam Prison, a site run by Israel’s allied South Lebanon Army during its occupation. Rights groups have long condemned reports of abuse there.

Strategically, Khiam’s elevated position overlooks the Galilee and spans toward Ghajar and Wazzani, making it accessible from the east, west, and south.

Experts say Israeli forces are likely to avoid a western approach, which would expose them to fire, and instead advance from the south and east.

Lebanon’s National News Agency reported that a “large number” of Israeli tanks reached Hamamsa Hill on Khiam’s eastern outskirts, the furthest advance in southern Lebanon since Israeli operations began in late September.

Israeli tanks moved from Metula on Monday, pushing toward Hamamsa Hill, but faced strong resistance.

The lead tanks were hit by anti-tank missiles, and advancing forces encountered heavy artillery and rocket fire, forcing a retreat. Israeli forces responded with intense air and artillery strikes on the town.

Hezbollah later claimed it targeted Israeli soldiers near Khiam, located about six kilometers from the Israeli border, with a barrage of rockets.

On Tuesday morning, Israeli forces resumed attempts to advance from the eastern and southern fronts near Khiam, sparking clashes on both sides of the town, local media reported.

Hezbollah announced it had targeted Israeli soldiers on Khiam’s outskirts with rockets and artillery, claiming its fighters struck a Merkava tank with an anti-tank missile, causing it to catch fire and inflicting casualties.

The Iran-backed group has used a variety of weapons to counter the Israeli advance, including guided missiles, artillery, and drones. It also reported striking Israeli supply lines and said it downed a Hermes 900 drone near Marjayoun, where the fighting continues.

Hezbollah reported last week that it has been pushing back Israeli attempts to infiltrate border villages, with some clashes happening at close range.

Meanwhile, the Israeli military has shared videos showing the demolition of homes in towns it has entered, with explosions captured in Mais al-Jabal, Aitaroun, Yarine, and Dhahira.

Despite the military pressure, Hezbollah has continued launching rockets. A person in Tarshiha was killed by a rocket fired from Lebanon, triggering sirens across multiple Galilee towns.

The Israeli military confirmed that around 50 rockets were fired from Lebanon in this latest attack.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.