Israeli Army Fails at Incursion into Lebanon’s Khiam

 Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of al-Khiam on November 2, 2024, amid the ongoing war between Israel and Hezbollah. (AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of al-Khiam on November 2, 2024, amid the ongoing war between Israel and Hezbollah. (AFP)
TT

Israeli Army Fails at Incursion into Lebanon’s Khiam

 Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of al-Khiam on November 2, 2024, amid the ongoing war between Israel and Hezbollah. (AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of al-Khiam on November 2, 2024, amid the ongoing war between Israel and Hezbollah. (AFP)

The Israeli army failed on Sunday in making an incursion in Lebanon’s southern border village of al-Khiam after nearly a week of fierce clashes with Hezbollah.

Hezbollah’s al-Manar television said the city was now “completely devoid of any Israeli soldier,” including its eastern section which was heavily targeted by Israel.

The Israeli army announced the killing of Hezbollah commander in the Khiam region Farouk Amin al-Assi and commander of the party’s Radwan Unit in Khiam Youssef Ahmed Noon.

A military spokesman said Assi was responsible for carrying out rocket and anti-tank missile attacks on the Galilee and Metula areas. Noon was responsible for rocket and anti-tank attacks on Israeli settlements in Galilee and soldiers operating in the area.

Lebanon’s state National News Agency said the Lebanese and International Red Cross attempted to evacuate two families, totally 20 members, including women and children, from Khiam.

Attempts to evacuate them earlier this week had failed due to the heavy fighting. After the clashes ended, the aid groups finally reached them, only to find out that they were killed in the fighting. Their bodies were found under the rubble.

The Lebanese Red Cross said it retrieved five bodies from Wata al-Khiam and will continue retrieving the rest on Monday.

It identified the victims as Rawan Ali al-Mohammed, 19, Nadine Shadi al-Mohammed, 5, Khaled Shadi al-Mohammed, 2, Adam Shadi al-Mohammed, 2 months, and Dima Walid al-Ibrahim, 28.

Fifteen Lebanese nationals and a Syrian remain under the rubble, it said.

Failed incursion

Brig. Gen. Hassan Jouni, former deputy chief of staff of operations in the Lebanese Armed Forces, said that it remains to be seen what Israel’s next step will be after its failure to capture Khiam.

It is evident that it does not want to become engaged in intense clashes and incur heavy losses, especially amid the fierce resistance by Hezbollah in defending the city, he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He noted the military’s announcement that the first phase of the ground operation in Lebanon was almost over, and yet, the goal of the operation remains unclear, as are the next steps.

Summing up the first phase, Jouni said Israel sought to destroy frontline villages to make them exposed. “We don’t know if the phase will end with the Israeli army returning to the area,” he remarked.

He did note that the Israeli forces do enter southern villages and then leave them without establishing any bases there.

Moreover, Jouni noted Israel’s announcement that it was fortifying settlements near the border with Lebanon. “Does that mean that they will fortify the settlements rather than carry out an incursion in Lebanon?” he asked.

“The picture is not clear, but talk of the first phase is either aimed at confusing Hezbollah or leaving the situation open for the Israeli army,” he went on to say.

Hezbollah on Sunday did not make any announcement about ground fighting against Israeli forces.

The Israeli army did announce that marine commandos killed members of Hezbollah and destroyed a gathering area the party had used to plan operations in the South.

Hezbollah, meanwhile, continued to launch rockets at northern Israel, issuing a number of statements about its strikes that targeted military locations in the settlements of Metula, Shomera, Zarit, Even Menachem, Matsuva, Baram, Shlomi, Ros Hankira, Shamir and Qatsrin, as well as a military base north of Haifa.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."