Israel Notifies UN of End to Ties with Palestinian Relief Agency

Volunteers distribute sacks of flour at a United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) aid distribution center in Deir el-Balah on November 4, 2024, amid the ongoing war between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas. (Photo by Eyad BABA / AFP)
Volunteers distribute sacks of flour at a United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) aid distribution center in Deir el-Balah on November 4, 2024, amid the ongoing war between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas. (Photo by Eyad BABA / AFP)
TT

Israel Notifies UN of End to Ties with Palestinian Relief Agency

Volunteers distribute sacks of flour at a United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) aid distribution center in Deir el-Balah on November 4, 2024, amid the ongoing war between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas. (Photo by Eyad BABA / AFP)
Volunteers distribute sacks of flour at a United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) aid distribution center in Deir el-Balah on November 4, 2024, amid the ongoing war between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas. (Photo by Eyad BABA / AFP)

Israel has officially notified the United Nations that it was cancelling the agreement that regulated its relations with the UN relief organization for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) since 1967, the Israeli foreign ministry said on Monday.

Israel's parliament last week passed legislation banning UNRWA from operating in Israel and stopping Israeli authorities from cooperating with the organization, which has said the ban will deepen the suffering of Palestinians, especially in Gaza.

Since the start of the Gaza war, Israel has said that UNRWA has been infiltrated by the Palestinian armed group Hamas in Gaza, accusing some of its staff of taking part in the Oct. 7, 2023 Hamas-led attack on Israel.

Following an investigation by the UN oversight office, the United Nations said in August that nine UNRWA staff may have been involved in the Oct. 7 attack, and had been fired. Later, a Hamas commander in Lebanon - killed last month in an Israeli strike - was found to have had an UNRWA job.

Israel's UN Ambassador Danny Danon said in a statement that despite the overwhelming evidence "we submitted to the UN highlighting how Hamas infiltrated UNRWA, the UN did nothing to address this reality".

The legislation, which does not take effect for another three months, has prompted international concern, with the UN Security Council warning against attempts to dismantle UNRWA.

UNRWA director of communications Juliette Touma said the Israeli law had so far had no impact on UNRWA assistance in Gaza and the West Bank including East Jerusalem. She said the onus was on UN member states to find a way to get Israel not to implement the law, calling it "a race against time".

The law does not directly outlaw UNRWA's operations in the West Bank and Gaza, both considered by international law to be outside the state of Israel but under Israeli occupation. But it will severely impact its ability to work in those areas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called for UNRWA to be shut down, saying it seeks to perpetuate the issue of Palestinian refugees.

The agency was established in 1949 following the war surrounding the founding of Israel, when 700,000 Palestinians fled or were driven from their homes.

It provides aid, health and education to 5.9 million descendants of those refugees in Gaza, the West Bank and in neighboring Arab countries.

Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz ordered his ministry to notify the United Nations of the cancellation of the agreement, the foreign ministry said.

Katz said the UN "was presented with countless pieces of evidence that Hamas operatives are employed by UNRWA and about the use of UNRWA facilities for terrorist purposes yet nothing was done about this".

Asked for comment, Touma said that in addition to the UN oversight office's investigation, UNRWA received one formal accusation directly from Israeli authorities, alleging 100 of its staff were members of Palestinian armed groups.

UNRWA sought information and cooperation from Israel about the allegations and had not received a response, she said.

The Israeli military had also made accusations in the media alleging the use of UNRWA facilities by armed groups. UNRWA had repeatedly condemned the alleged use of its facilities by groups including Hamas and other parties to the conflict and called for accountability, she said. 



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.