Israel Launches Largest Incursion into South Lebanon

Israeli soldiers attend the funeral of a soldier killed in the battles of South Lebanon. (EPA)
Israeli soldiers attend the funeral of a soldier killed in the battles of South Lebanon. (EPA)
TT

Israel Launches Largest Incursion into South Lebanon

Israeli soldiers attend the funeral of a soldier killed in the battles of South Lebanon. (EPA)
Israeli soldiers attend the funeral of a soldier killed in the battles of South Lebanon. (EPA)

The Israeli army launched its “largest incursion” into southern Lebanon on Thursday, advancing along three main axes.
On the western front, forces reached the outskirts of Shamaa, a town located about 4 kilometers from the border, where they engaged in clashes with Hezbollah.
This marked the first day of a ground operation whose scope and objectives remain undefined. The incursion was accompanied by widespread aerial bombardment targeting villages located 7 to 15 kilometers deep within Lebanese territory.
The Israeli army stated that forces from the 91st Division were expanding the scope of the ground operation into the outskirts of the second line of villages in South Lebanon, entering areas where Israeli forces had not previously accessed. During the operation, commandos from the division reportedly discovered a rocket-launch platform containing 32 launchers, along with weapons depots, various munitions, and underground tunnels.
Although the Israeli army did not specify the operation’s scale or location, sources in South Lebanon told Asharq Al-Awsat that Israel was conducting “its broadest incursion attempt across all sectors.”
The incursion reached the outskirts of the strategic town of Shama, which overlooks the city of Tyre. A Lebanese security source informed Asharq Al-Awsat that infiltration attempts began at dawn along the Dahira axis. This border town, heavily destroyed in recent weeks, was part of a path leading toward Wadi Hamoul and Shama.
Sources confirmed that Israeli forces reached Shama’s outskirts, where heavy clashes were ongoing.
On the western front, the Israeli army avoided crossing wooded areas and valleys, opting instead for exposed paths to minimize the risk of direct rocket attacks by Hezbollah fighters believed to be entrenched in those regions. This approach followed a shorter route from Dhaira through the outskirts of Teir Harfa toward Shama. Notably, Shama hosts one of the largest UNIFIL bases in southern Lebanon.
Local media reported fierce clashes involving machine guns, followed by Israeli artillery shelling of Teir Harfa with phosphorus and heavy artillery shells. Reports also emerged of an Israeli Merkava tank being destroyed while advancing in Wadi Al-Batishiya en route to Teir Harfa.
An Israeli helicopter was spotted evacuating injured soldiers from the incursion axis. By afternoon, Israeli forces had reportedly withdrawn from some incursion points back toward the border, while Hezbollah continued targeting military positions with rocket fire.
The Israeli army appears focused on reaching the highlands overlooking Wadi Al-Hujeir, believed to be a launching site for rockets targeting Israel. This strategy mirrors its geographic positioning in southern Lebanon before its withdrawal in 2000.
Local media reported attempts to penetrate along multiple axes, including Dahira–Alma Al-Shaab–Hamoul on the western front, and Naqoura–Teir Harfa in the same sector.
In the central sector, incursions targeted Yaron–Bint Jbeil, Ayta Al-Shaab–Bint Jbeil, and Ayta Al-Shaab–Ainata. In the eastern sector, Israeli forces attempted to advance through Al-Abbad–Houla and Wadi Hounin–Marjayoun.

Field sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that airstrikes resumed on border villages, suggesting that Hezbollah fighters had managed to re-enter areas previously seized by Israeli forces.
The renewed aerial bombardment targeted villages along the third and fourth defensive lines in a bid to disrupt the missile and artillery support aiding Hezbollah fighters on the ground.
The intense Israeli shelling and airstrikes extended 7 to 12 kilometers deep into Lebanese territory, hitting the outskirts of villages such as Zibqin, Majdal Zoun, Sheihin, Shaqra, Braachit, Tiri, Qabrikha, Al-Mansouri, and others. Dozens of villages were reportedly struck with heavy artillery and air raids.
The objectives, scale, and timeline of the Israeli military operation remain unclear. Israeli media reports indicate uncertainty about whether the incursion is aimed at establishing permanent military positions in South Lebanon, or simply destroying border villages in the second defensive line, as had been done with villages in the first line.
The lack of clarity stems from the Israeli withdrawal from first-line villages, which enabled Hezbollah to regain access to those areas.
While Yedioth Ahronoth reported that the military seeks to establish conditions for a post-war scenario in southern Lebanon—preventing armed Hezbollah presence south of the Litani River, particularly in the first and second defensive lines—other commentators argue that significant amounts of Hezbollah’s rocket stockpiles, which continue to target deep into Israel, are located in second-line villages. These areas are considered close enough to the border for Hezbollah to launch effective strikes on Israeli territory.

 

 



Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.


Maliki Can Withdraw as Candidacy as Iraq PM the Easy or Hard Way

Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
TT

Maliki Can Withdraw as Candidacy as Iraq PM the Easy or Hard Way

Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)

Iraqi Former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki declined at the last minute to attend a meeting of the pro-Iran Coordination Framework on Monday night that was aimed at settling the crisis over his nomination as prime minister.

Instead of declaring that he was pulling out as candidate, as had been expected, Maliki informed his close circle that he is “following through with his nomination to the end,” trusted sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Iraq has come under intense pressure from the US to withdraw the nomination. In January, President Donald Trump warned Baghdad against picking Maliki as its PM, saying the United States would no longer help the country.

“Last time Maliki was in power, the Country descended into poverty and total chaos. That should not be allowed to happen again. Because of his insane policies and ideologies, if elected, the United States of America will no longer help Iraq,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Maliki also dismissed as “extortion and intimidation” talks of renewed US sanctions on Iraq, added the sources.

However, circles within the Coordination Framework have started to “despair” with the impasse over naming a new prime minister and are weighing the possibility of taking “difficult” choices, they revealed. Maliki has become a prisoner of his own nomination.

The Sunni Progress Party (Takadum) had voiced its reservations over Maliki’s nomination before Trump made his position clear and which has since weighed heavily on Iraq.

‘Indefinitely’

Maliki’s decision to skip the Framework’s meeting on Monday forced the coalition to postpone it “indefinitely”, exposing more differences inside the alliance that have been festering for months. The dispute over the post of prime minister is threatening to evolve into one that threatens the unity of the coalition itself.

Several sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Maliki had sent the Framework a written message on Monday night informing them that he will not attend the meeting because “he was aware that discussions will seek to pressure him to withdraw his candidacy.”

Maliki was the one to call for the meeting to convene in the first place, they revealed.

Reports have been rife in Iraq that Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish political leaderships have all received warnings that the US would take measure against Iraq if Maliki continued to insist on his nomination.

Former Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told Dijlah TV that “Shiite parties” had received two new American messages reiterating the rejection of Maliki’s nomination.

Necessary choice

Maliki and the Framework are now at an impasse, with the latter hoping the former PM would take it upon himself to withdraw his candidacy in what a leading Shiite figure said would help protect the unity of the coalition.

Leading members of the coalition were hoping to give Maliki enough time to decide himself to withdraw, but as time stretches on, the coalition may take matters into its own hands and take “necessary” choices, said the figure.

Other sources revealed, however, that Maliki refuses to voluntarily withdraw from the race believing that this is a responsibility that should be shouldered by the Framework. This has effectively left the alliance with complex and limited choices to end the crisis.

Sources close to Maliki said he has made light of US threats to impose sanctions, saying that if they were to happen, Iraq will emerge on the other side stronger, citing other countries that came out stronger after enduring years of pressure.

Moreover, he is banking on an American change in position, saying mediators have volunteered to “polish his image before Trump and his team.” Members of Maliki’s State of Law coalition declined to comment on this information.

Sources inside the Framework said the coalition may “ultimately withdraw Maliki’s nomination if he becomes too much of a burden on an already weary alliance.”

Doing so may cost them a strong ally in Maliki and force the Framework to yield to Washington’s will, said the Shiite figure. “Maliki may come off as stubborn and strong, but he is wasting his realistic options at this critical political juncture,” it added.

The Framework is divided between a team that is banking on waiting to see how the US-Iran tensions will play out to resolve the crisis and on Maliki voluntarily withdrawing his nomination. The other team is calling for the coalition to resolve the crisis through an internal vote.

Leading Shiite figures told Asharq Al-Awsat that opponents of Maliki’s nomination in the coalition have no choice but to apply internal pressure inside the Framework, which is on the verge of collapse.