Hezbollah Attempts Addressing War’s Financial, Emotional Impact on Supporters

A building completely destroyed in Beirut’s southern suburbs (AP)
A building completely destroyed in Beirut’s southern suburbs (AP)
TT

Hezbollah Attempts Addressing War’s Financial, Emotional Impact on Supporters

A building completely destroyed in Beirut’s southern suburbs (AP)
A building completely destroyed in Beirut’s southern suburbs (AP)

Hezbollah is struggling to cope with the unprecedented consequences of the war with Israel, particularly within its own base, as it tries to support over one million people displaced from Beirut’s southern suburbs, south Lebanon, and the Bekaa Valley.

These people have spread across various parts of Lebanon, while some have fled to Syria and Iraq. In response, Hezbollah’s media and officials are promising compensation, reconstruction, and urging people to remain resilient. They have also begun providing limited financial assistance.

Recently, Hezbollah launched the “Samidoun” platform, designed mainly to offer financial help to the displaced, after previously providing limited food and supplies.

Families can receive between $300 and $400, depending on where they have relocated.

Families in coastal areas get $300, while those in colder regions who need heating are given $400. Hezbollah members also receive this support, which is added to their monthly salaries.

The financial aid, which has helped displaced people facing major financial struggles after using up their savings and losing their jobs, is still unclear.

It’s not known whether this aid will be given monthly, periodically, or just as a one-time “gift,” as some are calling it.

One woman, who recently received the aid, is considering using it to rent a home—“even just a room”—after getting tired of staying in a school shelter.

“My children, including an 8-month-old, are getting sick from the cold because there’s no heating,” she said.

“But the problem is we don’t know if we’ll get this money every month, so I’m not sure I can afford the rent.”

Hezbollah had been giving monthly assistance to displaced people from southern villages since the war began on Oct. 8 last year.

It had mostly managed to cover rent for those displaced, but the situation changed after the war expanded on Sep. 23.

The number of displaced people quickly grew, overwhelming Hezbollah’s ability to continue providing support for families from the south, Bekaa, and Beirut's southern suburbs.

Hezbollah officials continue to reassure families about the rebuilding process, which is a major concern for the thousands who lost their homes. A World Bank report estimates that around 100,000 homes were partially or completely destroyed in the conflict.

Hezbollah’s Secretary-General, Naeem Qassem, stated that the party is preparing for large-scale reconstruction, promising that destroyed homes and businesses will be rebuilt even better.

Hezbollah MP Hassan Fadlallah also confirmed that the party is committed to serving the people, with reconstruction being a key part of this promise.

Reports have also suggested that Iran pledged to help rebuild southern Beirut, south Lebanon, and Baalbek during visits by Iranian officials to Beirut.

However, political analyst Ali Amin argues that these efforts are insufficient.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that the damage to Hezbollah’s image continues to cause confusion and protests, with some people feeling betrayed.

Amin added that Hezbollah’s messages of patience and eventual victory are not convincing, especially for those struggling to survive. He believes that the party’s ability to maintain support is closely tied to its military reputation, which has been severely damaged.

Amin also highlighted Hezbollah’s focus on providing for its own members, ensuring they receive timely salaries, housing, food, and healthcare.

However, he notes that many displaced people are still facing unmet needs, with complaints about the limited and inconsistent aid provided through the “Samidoun” platform.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.