Lebanon: Al-Qard Al-Hasan Resumes Operations with Compensation for Partially Damaged Homes

A destroyed building of Al-Qard Al-Hasan in the Shiyah area of Beirut’s southern suburbs. (AFP)
A destroyed building of Al-Qard Al-Hasan in the Shiyah area of Beirut’s southern suburbs. (AFP)
TT

Lebanon: Al-Qard Al-Hasan Resumes Operations with Compensation for Partially Damaged Homes

A destroyed building of Al-Qard Al-Hasan in the Shiyah area of Beirut’s southern suburbs. (AFP)
A destroyed building of Al-Qard Al-Hasan in the Shiyah area of Beirut’s southern suburbs. (AFP)

The Hezbollah leadership has announced that its financial association, Al-Qard Al-Hasan, has resumed its operations by initiating a survey to repair homes damaged in Israeli airstrikes, restore them, and provide housing allowances for partially destroyed residences.

According to the announcement, “114 engineering teams have been deployed across Lebanon’s Bekaa region to assess damage, estimate costs, and distribute compensation.”

However, a legal source highlighted that this activity “violates Lebanese law, as the institution is unlicensed and operates without supervision from the Central Bank of Lebanon.”

The announcement about the resumption of Al-Qard Al-Hasan’s operations, often referred to as Hezbollah’s “central bank,” contradicts Israeli claims that the institution had been destroyed during airstrikes targeting its offices and financial hubs across Lebanon.

The most recent airstrikes targeted the association’s offices in Beirut neighborhoods such as Hamra, Zoqaq Al-Blat, and Noueiri on the night of November 26, hours before a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hezbollah came into effect.

Al-Qard Al-Hasan, which serves as Hezbollah’s financial backbone, was established after the party was placed under international sanctions and barred from holding accounts in Lebanese commercial banks. It collects funds from its support base and offers loans against collateral such as jewelry.

“Al-Qard Al-Hasan’s operations continued uninterrupted even during the height of the war, with the party providing assistance to displaced individuals using its own resources,” a source close to Hezbollah said.

The source told Asharq Al-Awsat that the institution “will finance the restoration of fully or partially damaged homes and continue to provide rental allowances and financial aid to families unable to return to their destroyed residences. This definitively debunks Israeli claims that Hezbollah’s financial infrastructure was dismantled.”

The source added that the institution’s funds—whether in cash, jewelry, or other assets—were safeguarded in secure locations far from danger.

On October 20, Israeli warplanes launched 15 airstrikes in a single hour, targeting Al-Qard Al-Hasan’s buildings and offices in Beirut’s southern suburbs, the Bekaa Valley, and South Lebanon. Three offices in Beirut were initially spared but were later destroyed on November 26, hours before the ceasefire came into force.

According to the Hezbollah-affiliated source, “while Israel did destroy several Al-Qard Al-Hasan branches, it failed to harm the institution’s assets, which are stored in secure locations.”

Reports about Hezbollah’s financial stability vary. A source familiar with the party’s situation revealed that Hezbollah’s cash reserves were significantly impacted during the war, with Israeli strikes destroying large sums of money and jewelry stored in Al-Qard Al-Hasan facilities. The party’s hidden reserves of cash and gold also suffered considerable damage.

The source told Asharq Al-Awsat that reconstruction and compensation funds are “not sourced from Al-Qard Al-Hasan but are Iranian funds recently delivered to Hezbollah.” The source claimed that “on the first day of the ceasefire, Iran transferred $1 billion to the party through a regional intermediary. This money is being used to assess damages, compensate owners of partially damaged homes for repairs, and provide aid to families whose homes were completely destroyed and remain in shelters.”

Despite concerns that Al-Qard Al-Hasan’s activities might violate the ceasefire agreement, Dr. Paul Morcos, a legal expert and president of the Justicia legal foundation, argued that the association’s financial activities do not constitute a direct violation of the deal, as long as its operations are not connected to wartime activities. He noted that reopening several branches might be Hezbollah’s way of “reassuring depositors about the safety of their gold and assets while potentially reactivating its financial resources.”

However, Morcos told Asharq Al-Awsat that “this step remains largely symbolic unless citizens can fully reclaim their deposits in the foreseeable future.” Legally, the status of Al-Qard Al-Hasan remains unchanged, as it is “not licensed by Lebanon’s monetary or financial regulatory authorities to carry out such financial activities.” He explained that, regardless of the association’s social or religious motives, such financial operations must be “restricted to institutions registered with the Central Bank of Lebanon and the Capital Markets Authority.”



Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

An Israeli strike on Lebanon's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed one person on Friday, state media reported, with the Israeli army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas.

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon.

It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded.

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene.

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated".

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah.

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people.

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon.

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering months of exchanges that culminated in two months of all-out war in Lebanon.

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad.


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.