Who Is Syria's Jolani?

(FILES) Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) chief Abu Mohamed al-Jolani (C) checks the damage following an earthquake in the village of Besnaya in Syria's opposition-held northwestern Idlib province at the border with Türkiye, on February 7, 2023. (Photo by Omar HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
(FILES) Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) chief Abu Mohamed al-Jolani (C) checks the damage following an earthquake in the village of Besnaya in Syria's opposition-held northwestern Idlib province at the border with Türkiye, on February 7, 2023. (Photo by Omar HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
TT

Who Is Syria's Jolani?

(FILES) Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) chief Abu Mohamed al-Jolani (C) checks the damage following an earthquake in the village of Besnaya in Syria's opposition-held northwestern Idlib province at the border with Türkiye, on February 7, 2023. (Photo by Omar HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
(FILES) Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) chief Abu Mohamed al-Jolani (C) checks the damage following an earthquake in the village of Besnaya in Syria's opposition-held northwestern Idlib province at the border with Türkiye, on February 7, 2023. (Photo by Omar HAJ KADOUR / AFP)

Abu Mohammed al-Jolani is the leader of the armed alliance that spearheaded an offensive that the opposition in Syria say brought down President Bashar al-Assad and ended five decades of Baath Party rule in Syria.
Jolani heads Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), which is rooted in Syria's branch of Al-Qaeda.
He is an extremist who adopted a more moderate posture in order to achieve his goals.
On Sunday, as the opposition entered Damascus, he ordered all military forces in the capital not to approach public institutions.
He had earlier this week said the objective of his offensive, which saw city after city fall from government control, was to overthrow Assad.
Thirteen years after Assad cracked down on a nascent democracy movement, sparking Syria's civil war, the opposition said the president had fled the country and declared Damascus free of the "tyrant".
Jolani had for years operated from the shadows.
Now, he is in the spotlight, giving interviews to the international media and delivering statements that have Syrians all around the world glued to their phones for clues of what the future might hold.
Earlier in the offensive, which began on November 27, he appeared in Syria's second city Aleppo after wresting it from government control for the first time in the war.
He has over the years stopped sporting the turban worn by extremists, often favoring military fatigues instead.
On Wednesday, he wore a khaki shirt and trousers to visit Aleppo's citadel, standing at the door of his white vehicle as he waved and moved through the crowds.
Since breaking ties with Al-Qaeda in 2016, Jolani has sought to portray himself as a more moderate leader.
But he is yet to quell suspicions among analysts and Western governments that still class HTS as a terrorist organization.
"He is a pragmatic radical," Thomas Pierret, a specialist in political Islam, told AFP.
"In 2014, he was at the height of his radicalism," Pierret said, referring to the period of the war when he sought to compete with the ISIS group.
"Since then, he has moderated his rhetoric."
Well-to-do
Born in 1982, Jolani was raised in Mazzeh, an upscale district of Damascus.
He stems from a well-to-do family and was a good student.
During the offensive, he started signing his statements under his real name -- Ahmed al-Sharaa.
In 2021, he told US broadcaster PBS that his nom de guerre was a reference to his family roots in the Golan Heights, claiming that his grandfather had been forced to flee after Israel's annexation of the area in 1967.
Following the US-led invasion of Iraq, he left Syria to take part in the fight.
He joined Al-Qaeda in Iraq, led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, and was subsequently detained for five years, preventing him from rising through the ranks of the extremist organisation.
In March 2011, when the revolt against Assad's rule erupted in Syria, he returned home and founded the Al-Nusra Front, Syria's branch of Al-Qaeda.
In 2013, he refused to swear allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who would go on to become the emir of the ISIS group, and instead pledged his loyalty to Al-Qaeda's Ayman al-Zawahiri.
'Smart thing to do'
A realist in his partisans' eyes, an opportunist to his adversaries, Jolani said in May 2015 that he, unlike ISIS, had no intention of launching attacks against the West.
He also proclaimed that should Assad be defeated, there would be no revenge attacks against the Alawite minority that the president's clan stems from.
He cut ties with Al-Qaeda, claiming to do so in order to deprive the West of reasons to attack his organisation.
According to Pierret, he has since sought to chart a path towards becoming a credible statesman.
In January 2017, Jolani imposed a merger with HTS on rival groups in northwest Syria, thereby claiming control of swathes of Idlib province that had fallen out of government hands.
In areas under its grip, HTS developed a civilian government and established a semblance of a state in Idlib province, while crushing its rivals.
Throughout this process, HTS faced accusations from residents and rights groups of brutal abuses against those who dared dissent, which the UN has classed as war crimes.
Aware perhaps of the fear and hatred his group has sparked, Jolani has addressed residents of Aleppo, home to a sizeable Christian minority, in a bid to assure them that they would face no harm under his new regime.
He also called on his fighters to preserve security in the areas they had "liberated" from Assad's rule.
"I think it's primarily just good politics," said Aron Lund, a fellow at the Century International think tank.
"The less local and international panic you have and the more Jolani seems like a responsible actor instead of a toxic extremist, the easier his job will become. Is it totally sincere? Surely not," he said.
"But it's the smart thing to say and do right now."



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.